Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven and I are starting obedience class. Advise for training collar?

Default Raven and I are starting obedience class. Advise for training collar?

Raven is 5 months old and she and I are starting obedience class next week. Tonight we met with the instructor who went over what equipment she would like us to use. This is a class for all breeds. Although not required she would like everyone to use the "choke" style training collar. I am a bit reluctant to use one with Raven as I have always been told that they can be dangerous for bulldogs. Discussed this with her and she will allow whatever we are comfortable with.

Does anyone have suggestions on what type of collar works well for training bullies? Any advise would be appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09699.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	28085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09701.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	28086

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Raven and I are starting obedience class. Advise for training collar?

I have used a pinch collar for Finn and a slip collar for Tate during their training. This was under the supervision and recommendation of their dog trainer. I've found these collars to be very helpful with their training. Definitely make sure you ask the trainer how to safely and properly use whatever kind of training collar you do decide on.

btw, Raven is beautiful. She has such unique coloring!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raven and I are starting obedience class. Advise for training collar?

Raven is gorgeous, are you going to have any puppies from her????? Hopeful Carol

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

if your trainer is wanting you to use a choke, I would go with a Martingale collar ... I feel a lot better using those on my babies, you get the same control with the martingale as you would with a choke just less invasive.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Likes (Received)

Raven is beautiful!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I would love to see more of your gardens if you wouldnt mind. Looks lovely from what I can see.

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Ditto on the Martingale. Don't use a choker!!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Raven is gorgeous never seen that coloring in a bull dog. You can get a Mendota british style slip lead, I use it all the time. Dont get a metal choke collar or prong collar though.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I would NEVER use a choke or a pinch colar on any dog; let alone a bulldog. A martingale is fine but I would ensure that when pulled tight it NOT 'choke' the dog. I am VERY surprised a dog trainer would suggest a choke collar for obedience training. I have been to many obedience classes with my dogs and have NEVER heard a choke collar be used (actually is frowned upon). I guess you are not going to Positive Reward Based Training ?

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Matilda and I just started puppy class, and we use a regular collar with no issues. If she pulls on the collar, I stop moving and bribe her back to me with treats. She learned very quickly that pulling meant the fun stopped, but coming back to me means TREATS!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Raven is gorgeous, are you going to have any puppies from her????? Hopeful Carol
    Thank You! As far as puppies in her future, we are unsure. We are NOT breeders but our son and daughter-in-law had one liter a few years ago that we helped with and it was so much fun. So we are keeping option open but will depend on how she develops and if she has no health issues as she grows. We are a bit curious what puppies from her and our Harley would look like
    -100_0383-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    I would love to see more of your gardens if you wouldnt mind. Looks lovely from what I can see.
    Thank You so much. I really enjoy the pond and all the flowers in the summer. I don't have a lot of pictures this summer but did find a few from past years that show the pond & garden a bit better. When I get a bit of time will post some more pics on Not Bulldog talk forum.
    -100_0588-jpg-100_0593-jpg-100_0596-jpg-dsc04485-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads