Raven and I are starting obedience class. Advise for training collar?

JLBURCH31

Nov 23, 2011
Raven is 5 months old and she and I are starting obedience class next week. Tonight we met with the instructor who went over what equipment she would like us to use. This is a class for all breeds. Although not required she would like everyone to use the "choke" style training collar. I am a bit reluctant to use one with Raven as I have always been told that they can be dangerous for bulldogs. Discussed this with her and she will allow whatever we are comfortable with.

Does anyone have suggestions on what type of collar works well for training bullies? Any advise would be appreciated :)

DSC09699.jpg
DSC09701.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have used a pinch collar for Finn and a slip collar for Tate during their training. This was under the supervision and recommendation of their dog trainer. I've found these collars to be very helpful with their training. Definitely make sure you ask the trainer how to safely and properly use whatever kind of training collar you do decide on.

btw, Raven is beautiful. She has such unique coloring!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Raven is gorgeous, are you going to have any puppies from her????? Hopeful Carol

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
if your trainer is wanting you to use a choke, I would go with a Martingale collar ... I feel a lot better using those on my babies, you get the same control with the martingale as you would with a choke just less invasive.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I would love to see more of your gardens if you wouldnt mind. ;) Looks lovely from what I can see. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Raven is gorgeous never seen that coloring in a bull dog. You can get a Mendota british style slip lead, I use it all the time. Dont get a metal choke collar or prong collar though.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I would NEVER use a choke or a pinch colar on any dog; let alone a bulldog. A martingale is fine but I would ensure that when pulled tight it NOT 'choke' the dog. I am VERY surprised a dog trainer would suggest a choke collar for obedience training. I have been to many obedience classes with my dogs and have NEVER heard a choke collar be used (actually is frowned upon). I guess you are not going to Positive Reward Based Training ?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda and I just started puppy class, and we use a regular collar with no issues. If she pulls on the collar, I stop moving and bribe her back to me with treats. She learned very quickly that pulling meant the fun stopped, but coming back to me means TREATS!

OP
JLBURCH31

JLBURCH31

Nov 23, 2011
Raven is gorgeous, are you going to have any puppies from her????? Hopeful Carol

Thank You! As far as puppies in her future, we are unsure. We are NOT breeders but our son and daughter-in-law had one liter a few years ago that we helped with and it was so much fun. So we are keeping option open but will depend on how she develops and if she has no health issues as she grows. We are a bit curious what puppies from her and our Harley would look like:)
100_0383.jpg

OP
JLBURCH31

JLBURCH31

Nov 23, 2011
I would love to see more of your gardens if you wouldnt mind. ;) Looks lovely from what I can see. :)

Thank You so much. I really enjoy the pond and all the flowers in the summer. :) I don't have a lot of pictures this summer but did find a few from past years that show the pond & garden a bit better. When I get a bit of time will post some more pics on Not Bulldog talk forum.
100_0588.jpg100_0593.jpg100_0596.jpgDSC04485.jpg

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I use Martingale collars for all my dogs. Here's a link to one so you can see what they look like. You set them so they are loose but if the dog pulls on the leash, they will tighten BUT you can set how tight it gets. I keep them so the rings touch but the neck is not squeezed. They come in lots of colors too so I can color code my look alike pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Colla...9299079&sr=1-5&keywords=Martingale+Dog+Collar

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online