Asbury

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was part of something amazing today. I picked up an emergency rescue for MABR. I got a call asking if I was available to do this, it was a real emergency. This man was driving to work through Asbury Park and spotted a dog on the side of the road. He pulled over and she came to him. He called his wife, who called her sister, who called Mid Atlantic Bulldog Rescue. Then Mid Atlantic called me. The man was willing to meet me halfway so I met him at PNC Arts center.

When I got there my heart broke. I have seen a lot of mistreated animals in my life but never anything like this. I was amazed that all those bones were capable of breathing at all. She was obviously used as a breeding machine. Her teeth have been filed completely down. Her eyes were cloudy and crusty. Her nails were so long they curled under. Her footpads are bruised, misshaped, blistered and infected. Her teats are so long and swollen that they almost drag on the ground. When I say swollen I'm not exaggerating. One of them is as thick as my sons wrist. They are still leaking. She also has some vaginal bleeding.

I rushed her from Holmdel to Abby's vet. The director himself is treating her. They ran a CBC, results will come in tomorrow. She tested negative for parvo, they think she has pyo. She is in the hospital tonight on IV fluids for dehydration and IV antibiotics just in case there is an underlying infection somewhere.

When she is well enough to leave the hospital she will come stay with me as a foster for a little while until she is stronger. We've named her Asbury and for all she's been through she is just the sweetest thing. She slept with her head in my son's lap for the entire hour long ride to the vets office.

These were taken at the hospital tonight.

IMG951115.jpgIMG951112.jpgIMG951116.jpgIMG951110.jpg

There is a special place in hell for people who treat animals like this.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
OMG! That is so sad! I'm glad that man saved this poor baby! I'm glad he has you helping him. I wish I was able to go with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bless you!! And yes, Tom and I were lucky enough to be asked to become directors of ROEB at the beginning of this year. So we see EVERY dog that might come into rescue and the ones that make it into rescue. We also get to find out why and how they come to us. The longer I am involved in rescue the more I realise that a lot of humans just SUCK!!! :crying:

You were her Angel ..... :havemyheart:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG! That is so sad! I'm glad that man saved this poor baby! I'm glad he has you helping him. I wish I was able to go with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got home a little while ago Roe. Spent hours at the vet waiting for news on her condition and working out treatment plans. Besides, you had a cake to buy! :p

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That poor girl. But thank God for you and for that man who stopped and took action when he saw her on the street. I pray she will get well. It sounds like she's in good hands right now.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
It is disgusting what people do!!! I'm just glad you an that man helped her thank you for what your doing it's great.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bless you!! And yes, Tom and I were lucky enough to be asked to become directors of ROEB at the beginning of this year. So we see EVERY dog that might come into rescue and the ones that make it into rescue. We also get to find out why and how they come to us. The longer I am involved in rescue the more I realise that a lot of humans just SUCK!!! :crying:

You were her Angel ..... :havemyheart:

Yeah. Some of them really do! And some of them should be taken out back and tied to a fence! (and believe me, tied to a fence was NOT my first choice of words.. this is a family forum so I cleaned it up a little)

I wish more people would open their hearts and homes to fosters. All it takes is a little time and a lot of love. All it costs is a couple of extra cups of food each day. Vet bills and even transportation costs are covered by the rescue organization. I just don't understand why more people don't do it. I read somewhere that for every 20 adoption applications, only 1 of them is willing to foster.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yeah. Some of them really do! And some of them should be taken out back and tied to a fence! (and believe me, tied to a fence was NOT my first choice of words.. this is a family forum so I cleaned it up a little)

I wish more people would open their hearts and homes to fosters. All it takes is a little time and a lot of love. All it costs is a couple of extra cups of food each day. Vet bills and even transportation costs are covered by the rescue organization. I just don't understand why more people don't do it. I read somewhere that for every 20 adoption applications, only 1 of them is willing to foster.

Damn.. I wish you lived in Ohio. All our foster families are full exept one. Every time I think I have a good bunch of fosters all up and ready, we get a rush of bullies and we are full again. Without fosters to take in these bullies we can go nowhere.

Did ya ever thing about moving again .......????? :pray:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Did ya ever thing about moving again .......????? :pray:

Never considered Ohio but I was sooo close to moving out near Pittsburgh with the rest of my family. But then I fell in love with this house. If I'd known I was going to get laid off a month after moving in, I'd probably be partying in the parking lot at Hines Field right now :yes:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Never considered Ohio but I was sooo close to moving out near Pittsburgh with the rest of my family. But then I fell in love with this house. If I'd known I was going to get laid off a month after moving in, I'd probably be partying in the parking lot at Hines Field right now :yes:

Things always happen for a reason .... :yes:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
OH!! you know what I forgot to mention? The man who found Asbury (his name is Mark)... him and his wife spent the day taking collections towards her medical care. When I picked her up from him he handed me 120.00 they had collected. Then his sister in law called me later on. She'd been collecting donations all day from her job too. She wanted the name of the hospital that Asbury is in so they could help pay her bills with what they got together.

Amazing right!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OMG, finally her luck has turned. I can hardly read these stories, cause they just brake my heart. Thank you for making it possible for this story to have a happy ending.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online