Puppy tooth or Adult tooth?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So I'm freaking out a little. Ellie was chewing on her new elk antler and the wife found a tooth. The roots are what's freaking me out....they look way too long, to me anyway, to be a puppy tooth. Any opinions? We took her antler away, so hopefully it won't happen again. The 2nd pic has a puppy tooth without the roots that's a similar size and shape for comparison. The tooth came from her upper jaw on her right side, about halfway to 2/3's of the way back. If it is an adult tooth, how long should I wait before giving her antler back?

mailgooglecom.jpg

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Old old is Ellie Mae again? I'd keep the antler away until she has all her adult teeth in. If she's past 6 months it could be an adult. If it's a baby you should be able to see the adult pushing up from her gums.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Old old is Ellie Mae again? I'd keep the antler away until she has all her adult teeth in. If she's past 6 months it could be an adult. If it's a baby you should be able to see the adult pushing up from her gums.

She's 5 months right now. I didn't see another tooth trying to come through in the split second she let me loom inside. The second pic is definitely a puppy tooth, on the left, that we found previously with the one in question. The part of the tooth in question that would be above the gum is similar in size to the other, but those roots are what's making me question if it could be an adult tooth.

**Edit**

I checked her mouth this morning.....against her will.....and there **looks like** there's a little white dot in the gum where that tooth came from. I don't recall seeing it last night, but the area has healed/cleaned up some since then.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say it's a puppy tooth, give it a few days and you should feel the other tooth coming through.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good news, glad it's just a puppy tooth :whew:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say it's a puppy tooth, give it a few days and you should feel the other tooth coming through.

That's my plan is to give it a couple of days to see if another one is indeed poking through. Couldn't really tell this morning, but there did look like there was a white dot where that one came from. I'll keep an eye on it.

Good news, glad it's just a puppy tooth :whew:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

I'm hoping it's a puppy tooth, but again....those roots freaked me out when none of her others have had roots anywhere close to that.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
puppy teeth for sure, let her chew, it will push the adult through, she probably feel's better that she has those out of the way. adult teeth grinders are huge. awweeee growing up is so bitter sweet.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
puppy teeth for sure, let her chew, it will push the adult through, she probably feel's better that she has those out of the way. adult teeth grinders are huge. awweeee growing up is so bitter sweet.

That makes me feel a LOT better. In the 2nd pic, we definitely knew the tooth on the left was a puppy tooth, but the size of the roots on the other one had me 2nd guessing that one.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She's 5 months right now. I didn't see another tooth trying to come through in the split second she let me loom inside. The second pic is definitely a puppy tooth, on the left, that we found previously with the one in question. The part of the tooth in question that would be above the gum is similar in size to the other, but those roots are what's making me question if it could be an adult tooth.

**Edit**

I checked her mouth this morning.....against her will.....and there **looks like** there's a little white dot in the gum where that tooth came from. I don't recall seeing it last night, but the area has healed/cleaned up some since then.
Oh that's good to hear. At 5 months that would be the baby tooth. Sounds like it may have just popped out due to the antler a week or so early. :) I'd still hold off on the antler for her until her adults all come in (that's just me though). :)

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
How long should it be before I see signs of a new tooth popping in? The new teeth that I noticed coming in are actually in front of where this one popped out and I haven't noticed anything in its place. She still has the same premolar on the upper left (this one is from the upper right), and that one does seem to be a little larger. This is the 2nd to last premolar. It's only been about 5 days, but I was just curious.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Ellie May's tooth? Has a new one come in yet? :)

@spork3127

I checked this morning and it's FINALLY starting to poke through. the tooth opposite of it has disappeared as well, so I'm guessing a new one will be coming in there in the next week or so. Thanks for checking in though.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I checked this morning and it's FINALLY starting to poke through. the tooth opposite of it has disappeared as well, so I'm guessing a new one will be coming in there in the next week or so. Thanks for checking in though.
That's good to hear. Sounds like it came out too early then. Thanks for the update, I had been wondering. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.