Flea Infestation

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
We are moving to a new house, but it has a flea infestation. The old owner told us that they had animals and they havent lived there for almost 4 months. What is the safest way to get rid of them before we move in. I treat my Daisy and Mack with Triflexis monthly, but we cant walk outside or through the house without fleas getting all over us. Should i call an exterminater or try to do it myself. I really dont want to move in until the fleas are gone for good. Please, any suggestions will be appreciated.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
It might be worth it to call the exterminator if you want it done quickly and with something that won't harm your pets. I'd explain the delicate nature of Bullys to him / her and choose one who advertises that they use chemicals not harmful to animals including wild ones. There are chemical free ways to deal with it but I'm thinking they take too much time for this situation. Doing it yourself not only exposes you to the chemicals without proper protection but you probably don't have the chemical knowledge to choose an appropriate one. Also, you're more likely to miss some place. If the pro misses they usually come back and fix it for free. Have them get rid of any ticks in the yard while they are at it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Id have it professionally done .... yard too.!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I would recommend using a professional to initially get rid of them then you can treat your yard on your own. Wal-mart has liquid pesticides to apply with a hose end sprayer. I do this once every 90 days and there are no fleas or ticks in my yard. Some folks don't like to use pesticides but I would rather put the chemicals on the yard then having to put them on Amber. It may take a few applications for the professionals to get rid of them depending on how bad they are. Good Luck!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How do you know it has a flea infestation?

If it does, and the owner hasn't been there, it doesn't matter because fleas can lie dormant for up to 12 months.

If you have your heart set on this place, I might want to get the landlord to fumigate the place if he has already accepted the fact that it is flea ridden!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I've recently learned about diatomaceous earth which is safe and natural and kills fleas and other parasites with exoskeleton (people even take it as a supplement). The trick to using it is to make sure it's not wet. I'm not sure how to apply it for fleas in the yard, but it physically kills them as opposed to poisoning them (which is also physically killing them, but I cant think of the word I'm thinking of LOL) by getting 'under their skin' so to speak :ninja:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Professional exterminator - BEFORE moving in, lord you dont want that problem once you get everything IN there... all the places for them to hide etc?

If you are the new owner - defiantly do it

if you are the new Renter - HAVE THE LANDLORD DO IT, OR DONT SIGN LEASE ! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.