Disaster Preparedness for your pets

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Does your family have a disaster plan? Do you have a plan for what to do with or for your pets? Do you have the supplies and equipment needed to do it? This is a subject near and dear to my heart since part of my job is Disaster Response for the State of Florida. My unit works with sheltering and feeding people. Luckily, Florida has a State unit that deals with Animal Issues. The Feds do not. Most other states do not. We've learned we need one because we get so much practice responding. We worry more about hurricanes than anything else but regardless of what the kind of disasters pop up in your neck of the woods, you need a plan.

Since bullys can't swim, you can't plan on leaving them home in an area that may get water logged - ever wonder why they found so few bullys needing rescue after Katrina when they found so many other kinds of dogs????

Plan on taking your pet to a shelter with you - not smart - although it is slowly changing, most shelters don't allow pets and don't have a co-located pet shelter. If they do, you may be expected to supply your own crate, food and everything else. Check with your local Red Cross and your State and County Emergency Response Teams to learn what's going on in your neck of the woods.

We all know hotels and motels that allow pets are in short supply generally. If they are over run with folks fleeing a disaster they will be less likely to accept you big old dog.

When you plan your water supplies for 72 hours after the disaster when help can arrive, make sure you include enough water for your animals as well as your people.

Make sure you've enough food for them to last several weeks or until the stores reopen. Dog food is not something most feeding operations have unless it's been donated. There's enough difficulty scraping up funding for people food.

When making a list of medications you'll need to have a supply of, don't forget about what your pets need. Make sure you have a way to get more quickly - ahead of time if possible - after the event if not. Remember if you are affected your normal chains of supply probably are as well. They won't necessarily be able to meet your needs if they are survivors too.

If you live in a hot area and the power goes out how are you going to help keep your bully cool? They may or may not be handing out ice. That item seems to be much less readily available than it was several years ago. It would take too long to tell you why. Do you know where you can get dry ice?

Do you know which stores in your areas have generators or generator hook ups so they will come back on line faster? In Florida Publix is making a big push with that issue. Walmart may be too.

Remember, if there's no power there will be no way to get gas since the pumps won't work. If a station has a power source you better believe Emergency Response vehicles will have first dibs on the fuel.

Enough for now. Google your state and county's Emergency Response unit. The Red Cross and Salvation Army have pages as well. All are good resources with check lists and lots of information.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
ok, now ya scared me ! We dont have alot of hurricanes and such in Delaware... but... I guess this needs to be addressed...

Could you prepare a check list ? that could be posted on the front page ? Get with one of the Moderators PLEASE, you have alot of great information that alot of us wouldnt even think of ! ! ! :) :) :)

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I can give you a link to a check list or 2. And remember - it only takes one to mess up your world - the one that comes your way. The rest don't matter on a personal level.

did you know there have been 14 names storms already this hurricane season and October is one of the busiest months. Most of them have stayed out to sea luckily.

I know Florida's Emergency Site so I'm linking to it. Your state may have it's own. When I look at other state's pages some are really good and some, not so much. Here goes:

this page has links to all kinds of planning info including stuff for teachers: http://www.floridadisaster.org/DEMpublic.asp

If you want to make a Disaster Plan online - http://www.floridadisaster.org/family/

Want info on Pet Plans - lots of links and detailed info here - http://www.floridadisaster.org/petplan.htm

If you evacuate, have a place to go and take your pets, use Pet's Welcome to find pet friendly hotels and motels by state and city listings

Here's your Disaster Supply Kit list including pet tips: http://www.floridadisaster.org/supplykit.htm

Here's a good PDF http://www.floridadisaster.org/documents/EmergencyKit-FDEM.pdf

This should get you started. If you're interested in this kind of stuff feel free to follow the links. If you're interested in getting involved contact your local Red Cross. They can tell you who to contact in your local area to get involved with a DART team to work with animals if you choose.

May the worst disaster any of us has to deal with be a pot boiling over on the stove.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks so much - last October an unexpected snow storm hit here....every one had bought up all the bottled water (as usual) and guess who only drinks bottled water??? LOL Some areas were out of power for quite a few days and folk had to live in hotels. The tree across the street fell on my neighbors house - and I could see trees falling as I was driving.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks. glad you like it and see that the information is relevant for events other than hurricanes.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks so much - last October an unexpected snow storm hit here....every one had bought up all the bottled water (as usual) and guess who only drinks bottled water??? LOL Some areas were out of power for quite a few days and folk had to live in hotels. The tree across the street fell on my neighbors house - and I could see trees falling as I was driving.

Good call that wouldn't have even dawned on me about the snow storms

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great info, thanks, it's always a good reminder to be prepared in an emergency.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I live in a hot area and I'm always worried about the air/electricity going out and Matilda overheating!! I have a little cooling vest for her. You basically pour it in cold water, and it stays cold for hours! Definitely a must on my emergency Bully list! Matilda also has a life vest because we take her out on a boat sometimes :)

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
My heart broke when you said "ever wonder why they found so few bullys needing rescue after Katrina" makes me so sad....

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
It made me very sad when I was talking to our animal folks who went into Mississippi afterwards. I was telling them I'd take bullys they pulled out but there really weren't enough of them for them to need to bring any back.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
**BUMP** **BUMP** **BUMP** I-95 Corridor folks ! review ! ! ! !

Most Reactions