HELP NEEDED: Brembo is Pooping a LOT

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
I'll try to make this as quick and to-the-point as possible. I just wrote a whole long subject and clicked 'back' and then it was deleted :mad:

BREMBO IS POOPING A LOT! Like 5x a day on average. His stools are mostly firm-ish, some softer than others, with the occassional VERY soft but not soft-serve like
:cursing:. He farts and they small bad.

These are the changes he's recently gone through:

• 3 weeks ago: increased feed to 3.5 cups a day (from 2.75 cups)
  • 2.5 weeks ago: began feeding Fromm Full Grain AND Grain Free (was previously feeding ALL grain free)
  • 2.5 weeks ago: changed feeding schedule from 3x/day to 2x/day
  • 2 weeks ago: increased feed to 4 cups a day on vet recommendation (he eats like there is no tomorrow and is not getting fat)
I don't know what it is....is it the switch to grain mixed with grain free? The increase in food (seems to be good for him)? The change in feeding schedule?

This morning he pooped in his crate after only being in the crate for 2 hours. He never does this and is usually able to hold all morning. But now he's pooping like twice in the morning, twice at lunch, and one or 2 times around dinner. I don't understand!!

If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. Again, his stools look GOOD! (not runny)... but he now farts, and they small BAD.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION], [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION], [MENTION=460]roanne9145[/MENTION], [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION], [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION], [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Sorry for all the quotes, I figure I need a quick remedy to this problem if I am doing something wrong.
Thanks!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Why the switch to grain food? It's highly possible he is allergic to the grain and pooping and farting more because of it.

My bariatric bypass surgeon used the phrase "Garbage in=Garbage Out" when discussing issues people would have when they ate things they no longer tolerated because of the bypass, and had elimination issues afterwards.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as Lari asked... why grain? cut out the grain and I would cut back the amount for the day to 3 cups - 1 1/2 in the AM and 1 1/2 in the PM

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with the others...anything that is not digested comes out...with a vengeance:eeeew:

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Why the switch to grain food? It's highly possible he is allergic to the grain and pooping and farting more because of it.

My bariatric bypass surgeon used the phrase "Garbage in=Garbage Out" when discussing issues people would have when they ate things they no longer tolerated because of the bypass, and had elimination issues afterwards.

as Lari asked... why grain? cut out the grain and I would cut back the amount for the day to 3 cups - 1 1/2 in the AM and 1 1/2 in the PM

I agree with the others...anything that is not digested comes out...with a vengeance:eeeew:

I switched to grain because I read that these Bulldogs tend not to develop allergies until they are around 1 year old. So I figured, why shelter him when he may not develop anything? Kind of like the age old theory where people who are always out in the wilderness never get sick, hurt, etc.... While those who are always sheltered are much more prone to sickness, etc.

He was getting tear stains even while only on Grain Free, but they seem to be getting a little worse.... You really think it's just because of the 1/2 grain that he's getting? I usually feed him about 2c Beef Frittata (grain free), and 2c Duck and Sweet Potato (grain).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm is a high quality food... too much will cause the :poo:. Cut out the grain and see if there is any change, but I am thinking that is the issue.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Sweet Potato is not a grain - it's a root vegetable. Cut out the grain dogs don't eat that though the might a veggie. If the Fromms doesn't work as you'd like try another brand - there are plenty out there to choose from around here they all go for around 50 bucks for 30 pounds. I've never seen Fromms so I really don't know anything about that brand. Watch your protein levels too. Some grain free are quite high, maybe too much for a young larger breed dog. I do TOW and my dogs don't fart at all. None of them ever have.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would cut out the grain food and give Brembo just Fromm Beef and cut back a little on the amount to see how his poop gets...I am thinking its too much food for him...Let me know how it goes

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would cut back the amount by 1/2 c per day. You could likely be experiencing a "poop buildup", and sounds like it got worse around the time you upped it from advice from your vet. 4 cups a day is a LOT of Fromm. Fromm has less fillers, so they just do not require that much. Whatever is not absorbed is waste. I have never fed more than 3 cups per day on a growing pup, and sometimes I have to cut back from that if needed for this very reason. Of course this varies from one bully to another, but I think it is the best place to start! Keep us updated!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I believe Brembo is a little younger than my Tank. He is almost 10 months and weighs right at 50lbs. He eats Fromms Beef Fritatta, too, but only gets 2 cups a day - 1 am & 1 pm. Yes, he would certainly eat more, much more if I'd allow it. :) He has 2, sometimes 3 good piles a day. My vet advised me not to increase his food up beyond that, even though the bag recommends it. He said he is growing well and looks good and with all the breathing and joint problems that Bulldogs are susceptible to, it is best that they don't get overweight. He said that 2 cups of Fromms is a little over 800 calories. That, plus limited snacks are plenty of calories unless the dog is very active. Tank sleeps about 20 hours a day - active maybe an hours a day, 2 on weekends. ;). I think less food will solve the problem and give you extra $ for toys and bones ;) for your buddy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I do want to add my paranoid poop mom part in here. Not gaining weight, eating like crazy,pooping a lot, sometimes soft, very gassy. Please check out this site www.epi4dogs.com. It sounds like where I was with Bella.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm late..sorry! But I agree too much food and I'd just go with the Fromm Beef Fritatta. Just so you know...Jake is allergic to chicken and can't eat duck/turkey or anything bird like! Why complicate things? I'd try one thing at a time. And Jake gets 1 cup am and 1 cup pm. 4 cups is a whole lot of food.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Fromm is a high quality food... too much will cause the :poo:. Cut out the grain and see if there is any change, but I am thinking that is the issue.

Thanks 2Bully, I appreciate your suggestions and I am cutting out the grain.

Sweet Potato is not a grain - it's a root vegetable. Cut out the grain dogs don't eat that though the might a veggie. If the Fromms doesn't work as you'd like try another brand - there are plenty out there to choose from around here they all go for around 50 bucks for 30 pounds. I've never seen Fromms so I really don't know anything about that brand. Watch your protein levels too. Some grain free are quite high, maybe too much for a young larger breed dog. I do TOW and my dogs don't fart at all. None of them ever have.

Hey linwhite! Obviously sweet potato is not a grain!! :D I was simply stating that the 'Duck and Sweet Potato' bag HAS grain in it, whereas the Beef Frittata DOES NOT.

Switching to another food could help though, as Brembo's had tear stains even with the Beef Frittata.

I would cut back the amount by 1/2 c per day. You could likely be experiencing a "poop buildup", and sounds like it got worse around the time you upped it from advice from your vet. 4 cups a day is a LOT of Fromm. Fromm has less fillers, so they just do not require that much. Whatever is not absorbed is waste. I have never fed more than 3 cups per day on a growing pup, and sometimes I have to cut back from that if needed for this very reason. Of course this varies from one bully to another, but I think it is the best place to start! Keep us updated!

Thanks desertsky, I was hoping you would chime in also. After consulting with many different bully owners, many of who also feed Fromm, we came to the conclusion that Brembo needed to be eating more in order to appeal to any growth spurts that will be coming around his age. I am concerned that if I cut back his food to 3 cups (which is where it hovered recently), he won't be getting enough nutrition to keep him growing. Is this simply paranoia?

I do want to add my paranoid poop mom part in here. Not gaining weight, eating like crazy,pooping a lot, sometimes soft, very gassy. Please check out this site www.epi4dogs.com. It sounds like where I was with Bella.

Hi Bella'sMom! I am certainly familiar with your situation and appreciate your response. Brembo does do all the things your outlined EXCEPT not gaining weight. He's actually gaining weight quite well, as he was 39lbs at 6 months, and at 6.75months he's 44lbs.

To all others, thank you for your initial responses. I am cutting out the Duck and Sweet Potato and will introduce another grain-free Fromm and see how he does.

Thanks!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is almost 10 months and 53 lbs we have him eating beef frittata and he gets a cup and a half in the morning and at night. He usually drops a :poo: when he first gets up in the morning, then another late morning/early afternoon, then when we get home from work and/or right around dinner time. Then one more after dinner before bed, so all in all he goes about 4 times a day. So if we were to add another cup of food a day we would probably be at 5 :poo:s per day as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
(in my opinion) his poop is telling you he is getting more than his body can absorb... Whatever is not used comes out the other end. Listen to his poop. Cut back to 3 cups until it's sorted. Then up it 1/4 c for a week and see how his poo is. If it's still good, go up another 1/4 cup for a week. 4 cups is an awful lot of Fromm for a bully, no matter the age. The only extra he will get is calories from it. If you want to keep up the calorie content-- which I don't recommend-- you will have to except the extra poo.

But I would also think all the extra food will cause stomach upset as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online