cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Do you think I can still crate train Tate who is almost 20 months old? Not really for housebreaking purposes, heā€™s pretty good about that these days, but mainly for him to start loving his crate and being in there more when I have to leave the house for a few hours. Finn likes his crate and retreats in there on his own b/c I got him used to that at an early age, but with Tate, as soon as I brought him home at 8weeks and he got into his crate, he would cry and I immediately put him in bed with me. I know, I knowā€¦.
How can I get a teenager like Tate to like his crate? (hey, thatā€™s a rhyme!):blink:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Feed in crate, treats in crate, and chews in crate.... Create happy crate times for Tate!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Lisa is right, make it a happy place for him and before you know it he will go in on his own. Mine love their crates.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That would be a dream if Tate can love his crate! I really enjoy it when Finn goes into his and snoozes and hangs out there. I'll give it a shot starting tonight. Thank you :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Let us know how it goes.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Tell him it's his "man cave" - make it really comfy too :) Maybe even play with him while he's in it.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I've always put mine in their crates to eat and sleep and when we leave to go to work/school. They'll sleep at my feet and in my bed but after awhile they will whine to go to their beds.
Good luck!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hope it works out! Tate likes the couch better I think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby always had a crate but she never went in it. In the new house she has to (there's no place I can put the gates up to keep her safe). I started feeding her in there and now she loves it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yep, make it a very happy place to go into. I'd start practicing with him with treats just going in and out. I think he's also either going to take to it or not. Jack still goes into the big crate in our kitchen and lays in it. Wilson used to all the time but doesn't anymore. Wilson prefer the looking at chair now (I just look at it and they lay on it). Good luck!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Yes, make it a cozy space for him. Like Lisa said , give him treats in there(maybe you can get the kong with a little PB and offer it to him only when he is in his crate) Mocha sleeps in bed with me, but during the day She loves to go in her crate and nap,I never forced her to do it,she just did. Good luck and I would love to hear how it goes!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Another question and may seem silly but do you think it's important that Tate uses his own crate and not go into Finn's? Finn occasionally uses Tate's crate and vice versa and I'm just wondering if that's a big deal or not.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just from my experience when I had two crates Jack and Wilson always seemed to want to sleep in the same crate, Jack's. But when it came crating time they each went into their own willingly? :confused: I think it's fine as long as he's going in cause that's what you ultimately want!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another question and may seem silly but do you think it's important that Tate uses his own crate and not go into Finn's? Finn occasionally uses Tate's crate and vice versa and I'm just wondering if that's a big deal or not.

Shouldn't be an issues... Banks and Nitschke use to switch all the time when not crated... but when they knew it was 'crate time' (we were going to work) they always seemed to go into their 'assigned' crate... just like Jeannie said of Jacl and Wilson.

relayer13

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
We've had Tater a week now, he barks for a little when he's put in the crate. He goes in at night and while we're at work. The problem we're having is he pee's in there. I took a suggestion from the site and put a divider up tp make the crate smaller since he's only 11 weeks. I made it small enough that his bed just fits in there but when I went home at lunch to let him out he had peed in it again, only once I think. I'm not sure if I can do anything about this or just accept that I'll be washing his bed every night. He hasn't pooped in it yet. He doesn't go at night either, my wife is up every night though and lets him out, during the day he does, even though I've been going home after about 4 1/2 hours to let him out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.