Thread: Can he love his crate?

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can he love his crate?

Just from my experience when I had two crates Jack and Wilson always seemed to want to sleep in the same crate, Jack's. But when it came crating time they each went into their own willingly? I think it's fine as long as he's going in cause that's what you ultimately want!
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Another question and may seem silly but do you think it's important that Tate uses his own crate and not go into Finn's? Finn occasionally uses Tate's crate and vice versa and I'm just wondering if that's a big deal or not.
    Shouldn't be an issues... Banks and Nitschke use to switch all the time when not crated... but when they knew it was 'crate time' (we were going to work) they always seemed to go into their 'assigned' crate... just like Jeannie said of Jacl and Wilson.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tater
    Likes (Received)

We've had Tater a week now, he barks for a little when he's put in the crate. He goes in at night and while we're at work. The problem we're having is he pee's in there. I took a suggestion from the site and put a divider up tp make the crate smaller since he's only 11 weeks. I made it small enough that his bed just fits in there but when I went home at lunch to let him out he had peed in it again, only once I think. I'm not sure if I can do anything about this or just accept that I'll be washing his bed every night. He hasn't pooped in it yet. He doesn't go at night either, my wife is up every night though and lets him out, during the day he does, even though I've been going home after about 4 1/2 hours to let him out.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@relayer13, i wonder if it's b/c he is so young still and he cannot hold his bladder for such long stretches of time. Since i really did not crate train my boys, i'm not sure about that though. I'm sure peeps who have crate trained can chime in and give you feedback. @JeannieCO, @Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

A pup that young can not hold it that long, just put a towel down and he will eventually hold it longer when he gets a little older. When we are at home we will put down puppy pads but if we are not home they well chew them up, so we use towels in their crates.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tater
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Dave, I thought so.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by relayer13 View Post
    We've had Tater a week now, he barks for a little when he's put in the crate. He goes in at night and while we're at work. The problem we're having is he pee's in there. I took a suggestion from the site and put a divider up tp make the crate smaller since he's only 11 weeks. I made it small enough that his bed just fits in there but when I went home at lunch to let him out he had peed in it again, only once I think. I'm not sure if I can do anything about this or just accept that I'll be washing his bed every night. He hasn't pooped in it yet. He doesn't go at night either, my wife is up every night though and lets him out, during the day he does, even though I've been going home after about 4 1/2 hours to let him out.
    Oh he's just a baby still. Wilson was 4 month at least before he was fully able to hold it all night. We generally would get up and let him out when we woke up or if he made a noise and he always went potty. Emma my 10 month old was much harder. She was 6 months before she was fully potty trained. Washing bedding is something I accepted every night too, welcome to most of our worlds who have or had puppies, lol. Sometimes with the little ones, heck the big ones too, you really gotta give them time to go (not your clock either). I would walk out onto the grass with each of them even if it was 3am to get them to go and would stay go potty in a cheerful voice (well as much as I could at 3 am). And some dogs are two time pottiers and some are two time poopers. Wilson's a two time pooper and Jack my non bully is a two time pottier.

For the crying at night, do this. It works like a charm and is in most training books. Put the crate as close to your bed as you can where you're able to reach down and touch Tater through the crate. What they want is to simply know that your there. I did this with Wilson and he would come and touch my hand and quite whining and then fall asleep.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Another question and may seem silly but do you think it's important that Tate uses his own crate and not go into Finn's? Finn occasionally uses Tate's crate and vice versa and I'm just wondering if that's a big deal or not.
    It's only a problem if THEY think it's a problem. Mine switch around crates all the time, and the funniest is when Daddy and both schauzers decide they want the same crate!! Then it becomes VERY cosy!!

As for getting him to like it ... I can only repeat what everybody else has said ... make him associate it with fun and yummy things!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tater
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jeannie, Tater is usually a multi pottier and pooper. He's been doing really great, only a few accidents outside the cage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads