What the Heel?!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
i think you're doing the right thing by asking them to stop and start over. What you also could do is shorten the leash, so they dont have the option of going far ahead, and bringing treats. If they know mom has treats in her pocket, they want their faces as close to that pocket as possible=walking with you.

Another way to work on it is constant turns. You look kinda ridiculous, especially with more than one dog, but do figure eights and circles. they'll quickly figure out if they don't want to end up the wrong way, they should be more aware of your direction.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
thanks for the great tips, all! [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION], i agree, walking 1 at a time is crucial for me if i want to get the heel done properly. The heel will work out sporadically when i walk both of them together but then quickly falls apart if they see another dog, or some other distraction. I think i need to get the treats back into our training b/c that's something i haven't been bringing along on our walks.
[MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION], i do use a shorter leash for Finn but not for Tate. That's mainly b/c Finn has more of a hx of lunging at other dogs so i keep him on a shorter leash. Makes sense tho for the heel purpose as well and come to think of it, i have an easier time w/Finn walking by my side than Tate.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
they will get there, practice (for them) makes perfect! my two know what is expected and they do pretty good most of the time I love how they just trot along side each other but once in awhile one will realize the other is closer to mom and they try to get closer and the switch-a-rue tends to trip all three of us but we get untangled and just start off again ... I tend to look around to see who might have seen because I know I look like a total dope but oh well at least they might get a good laugh out of it. I'm not super ridged about them heeling tho I figure if they aren't dragging me down the road or running out into the road it's good enough for me if they trot along close to me, walks are for fun and exercise for us ... they have never been through an actual training class, I've been through classes with other dogs but Diesel & Molly have just been trained by me LOL

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.