Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the Heel?!

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What the Heel?!

With Zelda it never happened in 8 years. Right now I'm trying to get Zam to do anything but sit down and say I'm not moving when I put the leash on him. My Frenchie girl does pretty well naturally though. The boys, not so much.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Has anyone got the Heel command down w/their EB? I find this one to be very challenging, and a tad bit frustrating. Whenever I walk the boys there are times when they will "heel", walk right by my side, but most of the time, they are walking ahead of me, much faster.

Not so much pulling, just leading me instead of me leading them. I know this takes a lot of practice and walking in the streets is very different than it was when we went thru training classes in a quiet, park like setting with no real distractions. I've been stopping whenever they do start walking ahead of me, making them sit, regroup, and then start again. But this can get pretty tedious and i don't have that much time to burn on their walks.

Any tips would be mucho appreciated!

heel is the part behind the toes .. together they are called a foot

No seriously ... The art of making your dog heel: since you have a bulldog, the trick is to walk just fast enough that your dog has to try to keep up with you, that way they can't walk in front .... whooops I said seriously let me try again! Getting your dog to heel: (make sure you have a treat bag in the beginning and that the treats are small and not crunchy you don't want the dog to have to stop to eat the treat) line your dog up where you want them to be and start the walk, you can use the command "lets go" or just start walking (I tend to just start walking) oh it's best if you start out by walking one at a time until they get the hang of what you expect from them .. if your dog starts to pull ahead give a slight tug to the side on the leash and say "utoh" or "atat" and continue walking when your dog falls back in where you want him/her then say "good" and give a little treat keep walking so they understand that walking next to you is what is good, once your baby realizes oh wait you want me here and I get good things when I do it they fall right in with it ... hope that helps!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Brutus is great on heel until he sees a squirrel,cat,bird,flying leaf lol you get the Idea no Advice here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    Brutus is great on heel until he sees a squirrel,cat,bird,flying leaf lol you get the Idea no Advice here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Emma and Wilson are as great as Brutus on the heel.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

i think you're doing the right thing by asking them to stop and start over. What you also could do is shorten the leash, so they dont have the option of going far ahead, and bringing treats. If they know mom has treats in her pocket, they want their faces as close to that pocket as possible=walking with you.

Another way to work on it is constant turns. You look kinda ridiculous, especially with more than one dog, but do figure eights and circles. they'll quickly figure out if they don't want to end up the wrong way, they should be more aware of your direction.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

thanks for the great tips, all! @bulldogs4me, i agree, walking 1 at a time is crucial for me if i want to get the heel done properly. The heel will work out sporadically when i walk both of them together but then quickly falls apart if they see another dog, or some other distraction. I think i need to get the treats back into our training b/c that's something i haven't been bringing along on our walks.
    @Taylor, i do use a shorter leash for Finn but not for Tate. That's mainly b/c Finn has more of a hx of lunging at other dogs so i keep him on a shorter leash. Makes sense tho for the heel purpose as well and come to think of it, i have an easier time w/Finn walking by my side than Tate.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

they will get there, practice (for them) makes perfect! my two know what is expected and they do pretty good most of the time I love how they just trot along side each other but once in awhile one will realize the other is closer to mom and they try to get closer and the switch-a-rue tends to trip all three of us but we get untangled and just start off again ... I tend to look around to see who might have seen because I know I look like a total dope but oh well at least they might get a good laugh out of it. I'm not super ridged about them heeling tho I figure if they aren't dragging me down the road or running out into the road it's good enough for me if they trot along close to me, walks are for fun and exercise for us ... they have never been through an actual training class, I've been through classes with other dogs but Diesel & Molly have just been trained by me LOL
    Last edited by bulldogs4me; 10-02-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads