Update on Hope!!

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Hi everyone so Hope went to the Vet this morning. We got some good news and some idk not too bad news! Good news We weighed in at whopping 58.6lbs I'm guessing we packed on a good 5-10lbs within the 2 weeks she's been here! Vet said considering her condition there wasn't any noticeable problems with her that needed immediate attention. General cleaning of the teeth, normal vaccines (didn't have the funds today-which afterwards i could've gotten) nails need some filing.

and the idk not too bad news: Since she was having discharge when we found her she may be preggers! (yayy pup or puppies) she can be spayed now which will obviously terminate the pups if any are in there. The tumor looking mass by one of her teets needs to be removed sooner than later.

So after discussing with my husband about her exam. he without hesitation said NO she will have her puppies if she's pregnant anf then get her fixed. I'm amazed he said that and very touched as well, i would have thought he would agree with the spaying right away. So i'm totally NEw to having a FEMALE dog (will need massive advice) Vet informed me just to watch her belly area will enlarge if there are a few pups not so much if 1 or 2. In 45days i can take her back for x-rays to verify pregnancy. and Then in 2 months (i believe that's what he said) the puppies will be coming!! Sooo they would be Halloween pups if i calcualed correctly.
Next week i'm gonna take her back for her shots so she can go to the groomers (she's way to big for me to try and bathe lol) Awesome part of today is The animal hospital waived my office visit today since i rescued her!!! And she got a new big fluffy bed that she's loving!!!

So any advice on mommy dogs would be greatly appreciated, how will i know if she's prego before her xrays any "mood swing" signs how will i know she's gonna pop and what do i do if or when she does?!!! AHHHH sooo exciting and nerve wrecking all at once!!!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and it's only going to cost me $240 to have bloodwork, spay, and to remove the mass. and extra $120 if i want the mass tested for cancer, i'm undecided on that right now though

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If she is prego, you need to start some research ASAP. check out You Tube and lots of it. Research research research.
Rearing is a time consuming, every two hour job that's not for everybody. But if it's in you, you'll know it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow! You are braver than I! It's an expensive undertaking and can be downright scary! I hope all goes well and Hope is well. You best be cramming like a final exam! Lots of supplies to get and knowledge too! Maybe [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] can explain things better!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i'm good with the nursing part and feedings every 2-3 hrs and i actually have my brother and mom who are here at my house during the day so they help with feedings too. My dad's dog had puppies once and she was young didn't want them, so i became mom and would literally milk the mama dog and bottle feed the pups and i carried them everywhere with me literally even to school lol. So like you said [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] & Sherry i'm gonna have to cram hard and fast about the whole delivery part!!! My husband is excited he already wants to keep at least 2 pups lol he's counting his chickens before he gets any eggs crazy guy...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Poor Hope - I'm so glad she's in your care now. I hope everything goes well. These pups had a horrible start for sure, but with good nutrition and care I hope you can turn things around!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Best of luck to you, how exciting

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Good luck with everything! Hope is so lucky she found you! I would love to see some updated pictures of her :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5053]lakermarie[/MENTION] Well I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or the bad guy, but things to consider. You don't know who the sire is or what type of dog he was. Second bullies need to have their pups by c-section NOT natural birth, because if there is a water puppy it can get stuck and kill the mama and all the remaining pups. The c-section can cost up to $1200.00, plus you still take a risk of losing the mama and pups on the operating table. Is this the risk you want to take? Do not let her have those pups naturally, she can die. If it were me, I would spay her now before she gets too far along, as it will not be as hard on her. I don't want to sound negative, just stating facts. If you do decide to go through with it we are here to help, but they need round the clock care, because you can not leave mama with the pups when they are not feeding because she can lay on them and kill them. You will be up every two hours feeding them. It is a lot of work to have a litter of pups. Any way just thought I'd give you some things to think about.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I love how you and your husband have a passion for wanting to help Hope and save her puppies.

I had to go back to read up on Hope's story again. I remembered you found her and thought maybe she already had puppies. I am afraid with her problems (tumor, mal nutrition, ect.) that if she is indeed pregnant the puppies will suffer poor health or major issues, and so will she from what she has been through.

I am also a bit skeptical that she is pregnant. Discharge can happen for many reasons. I would get an ultrasound done right away or I believe there is a blood pregnancy test that can be done. Find out immediately so you do not have to wait to get Hope healthy again. Many vets do not have ultrasounds so you should find one that does.

As David posted above you do not know who the Sire is, and not doing it by c-section is incredibly risky. Not only due to water puppies but depending on how many puppies there is could cause mama to overheat, their heads are large and hard to deliver, fluid loss, possible seizures.... since everything is unknown I would never take that chance.

C-sections vary in cost. I have never paid less than $2,000 for a c-section, and not only do you have to think of the cost but also finding a vet whom you can trust. Putting the mama and the puppies at risk each time it is done. Your vet must have tons of experience in performing this surgery and also not using anesthesia that will make the puppies sleepy or they will die/not wake up at birth to take their first breath. There are so many variables to consider I hope you both think about this a bit more before making a final decision. No matter what you choose we will help you get through this.

I worry about Hope, because she is already emanciated, and having puppies is going to take so much nutrition away from her, that it is going to continue to impact her health and well being. Especially if she recently had a litter. I cannot express how hard it is to raise a healthy litter under the perfect conditions, (a nice healthy mama and pregnancy).

Please find out as soon as possible if she is indeed pregnant. I am here if you need me xx :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I went to do some dishes and was thinking about this.... I wanted to add that it is easy for us all to say what we would do in your shoes, I do not envy you having to make this choice. I support you for whatever decision you make, Hope was brought to you for a reason, I truly believe in fate.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I went to do some dishes and was thinking about this.... I wanted to add that it is easy for us all to say what we would do in your shoes, I do not envy you having to make this choice. I support you for whatever decision you make, Hope was brought to you for a reason, I truly believe in fate.

Let me add, we too rescued a female Rottie from the streets of L.A. We took her to our vet for "The Works". guess what? she too was pregnant. We went ahead with the spay and of course terminating the pups. It really wasn't our decision to make, since we didn't discover this until our vet had started the procedure. But, she wasn't healthy coming right off the streets and had been through so much. We focused on making her life as great as we could for as long as we had her.

Often under stress, females will exhibit all the signs of pregnancy. False pregnancies are very common in rescued females. We all only want the best for Hope.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.