Advise for a new puppy owner

Mindy

Sep 19, 2010
I have a 8 week old girl named dolly that we just got home a few days ago. She is such a sweetheart and the kids just love her! however this is my first dog and I have lots and lots of questions.

Any one have any advise on house-training? We have been doing ok so far. I take her out every hour, every three hours once we go to bed at night. Morning seem to be the worst time for accident. It's cold her in the morning so she goes pee really quick the comes and wimpers at my feet. So I take her inside and a few minutes later she poops. She is doing well not going in her crate. We've only had one accident in there. I am just wondering how long it normally takes to house-train, and should I be trying to make her hold it longer?

Also I am worried about her feeding. She eats a cup of water downed kibble 3 times a day. Is that too much? Her belly gets so swollen after she eats she looks pregnant, but that's how much the breeder told us to feed her. Also about when do I stop watering it down?

Sorry so long iam very nervouse about if iam doing a good job taking care of her. I told my husband I was more nervouse to bring her home than I was when we brought our first born home! Haha Any advise is greatly appreciated! thank you!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
First off, WELCOME to the world of Bully Pawrenting. It is amazing. You are in luck, all your questions will be answered here and ,then some. You are very brave your first Dog and it is a English Bulldog? They are high maintenance, but so well worth it. Along the way, don't get discouraged, there will be times you will be scratching your head. I will advise you that Bulldogs are so very different than others, so if you have questions, ask here. Many dog owners will give you suggestions, but many things should be done differently with Bullies.

My number ONE suggestion is get her on a great food! Bullies have a lot of problems with foods, make sure it is a very good quality. Go to the Before and After Food stories on the home page. when you change, do it very slow

Second: to answer your questions. It took both of my bullies a whole lot longer than other dogs I have had to learn to hold it for the day and become fully house trained. I am sure it has something to do with "bull" in their name, such as Bull-headed!!!!!!!!! They are not morning dogs at all and puppies take a whole year to develop their bowels, so please be patient. You might want to invest in puppy pads and make sure when in the house, she goes on those. It will help.

I really think at this age you are feeding too much. It will depend on what food you are feeding. Is that one cup of food mixed with water? or does the water and food combo make up a cup? Remember the better the food, the less you have to feed. This due to ugly fillers.
The great thing about this site, you will find many breeders with tons of different puppy experience and advice for many options. I can only give you what I have learned by my two babies.
I look forward to seeing photos!!!! Don't forget the Photo of the month contest.

Again, welcome to the club!!!!

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
I think bellas mom summed it all up very well. Yes check the food. Fillers=no good! You may even have to play with a few different kinds to find the right one for your baby. Even the healthy food that have grains can be a problem! As far as potty training...just try to stick to a schedule. It took olaf a solid year to get it perfect. We still have a bit of a schedule with him and he is a year and a half. So far it sounds like you are doing pretty well!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
3 cups of food a day for an 8 week old puppy is good. They need added vitamins and nutrients compared to adults because they are growing FAST. I think you would no longer need to water it down though.

Definately make sure you get her on a good diet. Your food choice is the #1 most important thing you will do for your bully, except love and pet them of course!

It sounds like you are doing the potty training right. Just keep working on it, it takes time. Some are faster than others. Just keep slowly increasing the amount of time in between potty time after a couple of weeks each time.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I didnt get my boy until he was 9 months old so I am of no help in the puppy dept but welcome to the site! You will find all the advice here you can imagine and with bullies there is always a ton to learn. Ask away for anything you need and you can also do a search in the bar at the top of the page to see if topics have been discussed previously and you may find good answers there. Would LOVE to see pics of this little angel please. We love pics here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Mindy

Sep 19, 2010
The potty training is going really well. We almost went a whole 24 hours without an accident. She has started listening to the command of going potty, and running right to my feet when she is done. We still have a long way to go but I am really impressed with how well she is doing already.
I have stopped watering down her food, and she is doing great with eating.

Now I also have a couple more questions! lol You guys are going to get sick of me real quick.

We are crate training her, but I am not sure when I should be putting her in there. Is it only at night and when we have to leave her home, or should I also be putting her in there for naps? Also she wines and wimpers after we put her in there Should i just let her wimper till she falls asleep, or should I wait by her crate till she goes to sleep. Also her crate is right by our bed, so at night I'am not sure if she is wimpering because she wants to snuggle or if she has to go out. Should i just take her out every time she whines? Around what age do they develop enough to hold it all night? I will eventually be able to get some sleep right!?!Zzzz:p

Also we have not been able to put a leash on her. Every time we have tried. She has flipped out and yelped. I have no idea what to do with this situation.

Again sorry so long, and so many question. I have little exsperience and I'am trying to make sure I am doing a good job taking care of her.

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome to the site, glad to have you! Ask away, never be shy about asking questions! We all love to help and all need it ourselves sometimes too. Putting her in her crate when you are gone and at night time is what alot of people do. You can put her in there for naps if you want to or just let her pass out wherever she wants, thats up to you. If she naps for hours at a time and you won't be in the room to see when she wakes up right away I may suggest putting her in her crate. Just in case when she wakes up after napping for hours, she will probably have to potty and if you aren't right there to let her out she may have an accident in the house. If you are taking her out about every 3 hours at night I would say she is getting out enough and that her crying is just her adjusting. I'd just let her cry, it won't last forever she just needs to adjust. Samson didn't like being on the leash when he was a pup either. I can't remember how we got past that but maybe put her leash on in the house but not actually hold it, just let her run a round and getting used to it being attached to her collar/harness. Then slowly work up to you holding and walking her. Just an idea, it's been a while since Samson was a puppy!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with Tessa. My boy wasnt a puppy when we got him and I am fired when it comes to crate training as I didnt realize how important it was at the time. I would think tho you can leave the door open maybe during the day to let her get used to going in and out as she pleases, may ,ake her more comfortable in there. Have heard of people feeding in there also and giving treats as well to get them liking it more. I know you will get better answers from others also. DONT feel bad about asking, please do! Believe me someday when I get a puppy I will be asking all these same questions since it has been so long since I have dealt with any pup issues.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have seen people use the crates all kinds of ways. When the girls were little we only used it while we were gone. But we leave the door open and even now they will head to the crate to take a nap. Bella is a special needs baby and it didn't matter if the crate was touching her sides, she pooped in it, so rather then clean a crate every night, I left out poop pads and she learned to just use those until she got old enough to hold it.
I have friends who use the crates all the time, to eat, to sleep, even time outs while they are home.
I know people who never use them. It is personal preference. If you want her to snuggle with you in your bed, then put her in there, if you don't then I would suggest crating her until she is completely house broken. One thing is that they are very much like kids, if you give into their whining, then they will continue to whine, so be careful.

Don't worry about asking questions, that is what we are here for. Besides you just might have the question someone else has been wanting to ask, but didn't want to "bother us."

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We are crate training her, but I am not sure when I should be putting her in there. Is it only at night and when we have to leave her home, or should I also be putting her in there for naps? Also she wines and wimpers after we put her in there Should i just let her wimper till she falls asleep, or should I wait by her crate till she goes to sleep. Also her crate is right by our bed, so at night I'am not sure if she is wimpering because she wants to snuggle or if she has to go out. Should i just take her out every time she whines? Around what age do they develop enough to hold it all night? I will eventually be able to get some sleep right!?!Zzzz:p

Also we have not been able to put a leash on her. Every time we have tried. She has flipped out and yelped. I have no idea what to do with this situation.

Since you are keeping her in the bedroom with you in her crate, do NOT by any means take her out of her crate if this is where she will be sleeping. If she whines, and you take her out, she will learn REALLY FAST (it only takes once) that if she whines, you take her out and give her attention.

If you have already done this, no problem. Just follow this:

Set an alarm clock every 3 hours. She will hear it and know it's time after about 3 days. Do not take her out any sooner than the alarm, no matter how much she cries.... :(

Lay a towel over her crate if she is whining. Don't cover it completely, just enough like you would cover a bird cage.

She may have a couple accidents but eventually she will learn that she does not come out unless the alarm goes off.

Once she has this figured out, start increasing the alarm from 3 hours to 3.5 hours, a week later 4 hours, 1 week later 4.5 hours, ect. ect.

Tessa has a great suggestion for the leash. Otherwise try a harness instead of a collar, if that is what you are using. :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Lots of good suggestions here to get you started.

I would echo the suggestion of a harness for a puppy - it helps them learn and with the bulldog's strength and shape, it really helps them get going.

I had my fair share of hard times with Truman (got at 8 weeks, now 20 weeks) and crate training - that puppy LOVES to bark and pee and poo...well, you know. But as long as you continue on your current course, you will be fine. Truman actually loves taking naps in his crate throughout the day and it's a great thing to have them used to if you ever travel or need to leave them somewhere.

And, as far as potty training goes, Truman is 20 weeks and probably 90% trained. My other bullies were trained at 16 weeks, he's a late bloomer I guess, but give your baby some time, she'll get the hang of things and it sounds like she's well on her way already!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh and Truman started sleeping all night around 12 weeks...but he still has an accident now and then if we go over 8 hours at a time.

OP
M

Mindy

Sep 19, 2010
Thank you guys so much! Your advise has helped me so much! The harness worked so well. I got one that was made for bullys, put it on her and it was like she had been born with the thing on. She didn't even know it was there!

I have been so nervouse and anxiouse since I got her home. I broke down bawling to my husband yesterday. I have been so worried about how I am taking care of, and not neglecting my husband and kids at the same time. Books can only give you so much, sometimes it's just nice to talk to a real person. Kwim

Thank you guys so much!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, looks like all the good advise was given before I saw this. I have two girls who are turning 4 months later this week. We got Gertie at 5 1/2 weeks old and Ida at about 12 weeks. So two completely different sets are circumstances there. It sounds like you're doing everything right with your new baby. My first thought was stop adding water to her food, but you've stopped that. We didn't even soak Gertie's food at her early age, she was already chewing up dry food. What food do you have her on? A good quality food is very important. One thing I picked up on and no one else has mentioned... you said it's cold there in the morning, so she wants to come right back in and then she poops on the floor. I don't know where you live or how cold you're talking, but it is only Sept., I can't imagine it's THAT cold. (I live in Az. and we got Gertie in early July, so we've battled the heat all summer). Anyway, I wouldn't bring her in til she pees and poops. She won't freeze to death, and if she gets the idea that she can whimper at your feet (aww, so cute) and get brought in, then she'll continue to go once she gets inside. And, I don't know how big your house is. If she sleeps in her crate at night in your bedroom, and it's inconvenient to move her crate to the living area during the day, then I'd get a second crate for daytime. My girls are in and out of their crates all day long. They nap in them and when they've been too wild and crazy for too long, they go to their crates just to "chill". It's still very hot here, so they can't spend much time outside during the day, so their crates are a life-saver! Lastly, WELCOME to our group! I had never had a BULLY before Gertie and I have learned soooo much here! Never hesitate to ask a question. There is so much experience with this breed here, it's so nice to be able to just post a question and before you know it, there are all kinds of answers! I love it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.