Groomers-phobia!

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Ulysses has been a little stinky since last weekend when he came home after spending a few days with his grandma. I used to shower him myself but he has become so heavy that that's not a possibility anymore. So I found this really professional looking grooming place. I visited it and it seemed nice, it's also a doggy hotel. I left Uly there this morning but I swear to god I have never seen him so scared like today. I almost didn't wanna leave him, but I felt like if I let him run away from his fears then it'll be worse. I gotta pick him up in 2 hours. I just hope everything is fine... is your bully also scared of new places/groomer? :confused:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is scared of any loud noise, wind, and new places. She likes rote. And deviation from the routine she has established bothers her. We have had issues at the vet. She will usually nervous poo if we havent made sure she "goes" before we leave home.

We have found she does better if we shake it up more often, and take her places.

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was at the vet for the 1st time since his surgery last night and he was definitely anxious. He's never been to a groomer so I can't help there, he doesn't mind going other places, like my parents house. But when we went to Ocean City MD on vacation with him he barely ate anything the first two days we were there.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:yes: Jake is still afraid to walk by the deadly broom EVERY night as he heads to bed!! And he gets drug ..spread eagle..on the floor when he goes to the vets! AND they adore him there! :bang:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:yes: Jake is still afraid to walk by the deadly broom EVERY night as he heads to bed!! And he gets drug ..spread eagle..on the floor when he goes to the vets! AND they adore him there! :bang:

Hahaha Herman too! They love that and think its the cutest thing - I tell him he's afraid for his life - it's not cute.

I'm not sure I'd trust leaving him at the groomer, eat least one I'm not familiar with - just in case. I was in a panic leaving him at the vet for two hours last time.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
If they have to leave my sight, then they don't go. No groomers, No going in the back at the vets office (this happened a couple times, nothing bad happened, but still, I regretted it and no more. I just think if they can't do it in front of you, then something's fishy) So I don't know how Bruin & Lilly would react. I know when I left them with my parents they were fine.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Bacon was at the vet for the 1st time since his surgery last night and he was definitely anxious. He's never been to a groomer so I can't help there, he doesn't mind going other places, like my parents house. But when we went to Ocean City MD on vacation with him he barely ate anything the first two days we were there.

Bacon was in OC MD? ? and you DIDNT Call to get a play date with Gizmo and Hershey? well... I've never :p LOL we arent that far from there up in delaware :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was in OC MD? ? and you DIDNT Call to get a play date with Gizmo and Hershey? well... I've never :p LOL we arent that far from there up in delaware :)
Sorry if we go next year I'll let you know, we were there from Friday to Tuesday labor day weekend, have you ever brought you bullies to Assateague Island to swim in the ocean? We brought Bacon it was pretty funny, he was scared :poo:less of the wild horses when they came walking down the beach. I still need to post pics of him in his life jacket

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Sorry if we go next year I'll let you know, we were there from Friday to Tuesday labor day weekend, have you ever brought you bullies to Assateague Island to swim in the ocean? We brought Bacon it was pretty funny, he was scared :poo:less of the wild horses when they came walking down the beach. I still need to post pics of him in his life jacket

This is good to know - some where else to go on vacation. Which life jacket did you get? I need one for Herman when we go to the Poconos next month.

Sorry, that got off topic. I agree with [MENTION=322]LillyNBruin[/MENTION] - unless they will groom him when I arrive and he leaves with me, then probably not. I was going to look into a mobile groomer, mainly because I was having trouble cutting his nails. But now he's used to it for the most part.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

We live in Dover DE about 45 miles north of the Delaware beaches 60 miles or so to OC MD I'd say how long in time, but not with Beach Traffic! we *AVOID* anything that has to do with the beach during the season. we love going down in September though, ALOT Cheaper, water is still warm - Gizmo is afraid of the water, Hershey is the opposite ! we'd need to get him a vest for sure!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I was talking to my friend who is also a bully owner and as most of you, she also told me Sir Winston Churchill is also afraid of practically everything. I was a little worried that he was becoming too afraid because he spends too much time ONLY with me, but I guess apart from that it's just also a bully thing, He does love his routine. The vet is also a pain in the but. He used to love it, till we had a crappy experience at a new vets office after we moved. Never went back to that place, but since then he is just sooo scared of the vet, although our current vet it's extremely nice. Well, in any case today ended well. He came out looking happy and smelling delicious! :) gotta say they were probably the longest 2 and a half hours of my life :D

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah quite literally goes almost everywhere with me..so she isn't afraid of anything at all, lol. She expects to go with me every time I leave and is royally ticked off when I leave her at home. She does get sad when I leave her alone though. She never acts scared, I've just heard from others that she mopes and pouts. She's very attached to me.

I groom dog..and a lot of them are scared when they first get dropped off, but then once you start loving on them and paying attention to them, most of them warm up. A lot are anxious until their owners leave. Once the owners are gone they usually warm up and enjoy the attention. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
HRH is scared of any loud noise, wind, and new places. She likes rote. And deviation from the routine she has established bothers her. We have had issues at the vet. She will usually nervous poo if we havent made sure she "goes" before we leave home.

We have found she does better if we shake it up more often, and take her places.

uhhh gawd, I hate the nervous poop :pouting: ..... :bad:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank thinks he's a bruiser but get him up on a grooming table to have his nails done and he throws the dog equivilent of a temper tantrum!

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
April does fine at the groomer's she will go anywhere. but she also has scaredy cat moments with sticks -leafs - sounds - when we take her out to potty at home lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.