Ahh cappu ah

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
My boy has been growin up , as usual always hungry and playful but hates walking , he wont go more than across the street , anyone having sinilar problem ? Treats just works for couple meters

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Baby steps for the walking. Wilson never liked to walk when he was younger (he's 1.5 now) and it was always always a struggle getting him to move 3 feet. I would face him and walk backwards and encourage treats. Patience was the hardest thing for me to keep with him as I would get so frustrated as I just wanted a dog that would walk. I think I talked like a child to him for months and months. One time last summer we were camping and I took him for walk around the campsite and then he refused to go anywhere. He wanted to see and smell what he wanted to see and smell and he would have nothing to do with me and the leash. What did I do, well I got mad, that sure didn't accomplish anything except my blood pressure running sky high. I used to joke that it would take 20 minutes to walk to the mailbox that's a 45 second walk.

Well at the end of the summer season last year I went to take him for another walk when all of a sudden he acted like he was a race horse coming out of the starting gate. He trotted for .8 of a mile - I was STUNNED. He's been great ever sense that time for walks but still likes to take him time and stop and smell the roses.

So guess what I'm saying is some like to walk and others will take a long time. Just have patience and one day you'll be rewarded.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree with what Jeannie says: persistence and patience is key. Both Tate and Finn were exactly the same way--would hardly want to budge at the beginning of our walks when they were younger. I started thinking I would never be able to walk my dogs like "normal" folks! With time, things have changed greatly. I notice when I take them to different places for a walk, they get more excited, so I try to do that every now and then (whether it's a hiking trail or a park or just a different neighborhood). Now I can walk both of them together or I take them out individually. You will get there with Cappu!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My suggestion, throw him in the car and take him somewhere else. New sights and smells may inspire him to enjoy the journey more. Bea walks like a turtle 99% of the time in her own neighborhood but when we go somewhere new, she's all skippity doo dah and eager to go go go. Then my challenge is managing them both because Bo ALSO gets super exuberant when visiting a new place. They have opposite energies; it's a challenge. But remember, we don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need! Perhaps your journey is to learn patience?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Time Patience and Consistency is always the perfect combo!! My little male Diesel has weak hips so walks are difficult for him but we started out slow, made the journey fun and over time he was able to go further and actually enjoyed himself, now he really looks forward to walks ... I guess walking next to Molly helps too, they are super cute on walks they walk side by side and just trot along like two peas in a pod :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Mocha is the same way. If I say "lets go for a little walk" She runs under the dinning room table. If I say lets go bye bye in the car ,I better get out of the way because is flash gordon out the door and in the car!!!!! But as the others suggested they love to walk in unfamiliar places!! Mocha loves to walk downtown!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, yup must be a guy thing lol my Dozer hates to walk, he will go for about 10 mins , then all of a sudden just stops, lays on the ground, sprawls all 4 legs to his sides, and refuses to walk. He looks at me as if to say okay I'm done, please carry me home, which was fine when he was a baby , but now he is 9 months old, and weighs 35 lbs. he's too heavy to carry now. His sister on the other hand will walk for an hour or more, she has so much energy, and loves to walk, to run, and she jumps pretty high too. She even has a wiggle to her bum when she walks , we call it her happy trot. Lol. Dozer just wants to sleep all the time, and his sister Blossom will bite his ears and jump on him, she just wants to play all the time.

Here is some pics of my 2 guys:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 111

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have a similar dynamic here, [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]. Bo loves to walk -- and so do I -- but Bea plods along, sniffing every rock and leaf possible and putting on the breaks whenever she feels like it. I take them together and separately too, depending on which dogs needs what.

The lucky LUCKY thing for us is that we have a dog for every "occasion" really. In the mood for a vigorous jaunt? Bo's my guy. Feel like grabbing the binoculars and sitting quietly by a pond for some bird watching? Bea is my best companion for that. We have the best of both worlds!

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Mocha is the same way. If I say "lets go for a little walk" She runs under the dinning room table. If I say lets go bye bye in the car ,I better get out of the way because is flash gordon out the door and in the car!!!!! But as the others suggested they love to walk in unfamiliar places!! Mocha loves to walk downtown!!!

Lisa wish u were around vancity! I love cofee names , cappu cino is mines name would love to hsng out with mocha and call them cappuchino moccachino get him get him (jump on a 150 pound calm individual doggie ) anc play

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Too funny. Rudy and Mila go crazy at the site of a leash. They wanna go. Denise, at work, had a bully that would only walk so far and then put on the brakes. She had to bring a wagon so she could get her bully home when he decided he was done. It took her and her daughter to carry him home if he decided he was too good to walk.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
We have been having the same problem with Bogey. but we are making progress. I could not get him past the next door neighbors house, but with coaxing and LOTS of patience, he goes a little farther each time. Yesterday was a major breakthrough- he walked halfway around our circle! We'll keep it up each day and hope for the best! What worked best for us is if I got ahead of him, squatted down and called him with a treat! Took forever to walk 3 houses, but it worked. Good luck!!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

Thats funny, Otis is just the opposite, ask him to go for a walk, he runs right to the door - ask him to go for a ride and he wants to go but then it's a struggle to get him in the car.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.