elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We really met our first bullie at the dog park, that is what got us interested and led me here. I guess we are lucky that our "Morning Group" all pretty much know each other and each others dogs. When Jawa (the bulldog) shows up its like Norm showing up at Cheers. Jawa runs and says hi to every dog in the park as everyone chants Jawa Jawa. Its a hoot to see him and my mastiff playing together and our rottie tries and cleans his wrinkles. Here is a picture of Halrey and Jawa

That's a great way to describe it - that's how it was in puppy kindergarten. Everyone knew Herman and had to touch him and say hi. LOL That's great!!

When I did take him that day to the dog park, there was a guy that owned 3 mastiffs (yikes!) and he told me that they would probably be very gentle with him. Mastiffs seem like such sweet dogs (although I don't know many of them). You should have video of your 3 :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We don't have a dog park locally and the closest one is over an hour away, so we haven't to this point. Our small town is trying to get one though and there's even some land that the city is willing to donate for it. I'd like to swing by and sit with the wife for a couple of hours if it ever happens and see how other owners are with their control. One plus is that the city is considering splitting the park in 2 sections.....1 for smaller dogs and one for larger dogs. Thankfully, the area in consideration is a couple of blocks from the downtown area where people walk their dogs religiously, so there may be some good results. Other owners and their possible lack of control/leadership is worrisome though.

The one near me is split up like that - big dogs on one side, small dogs on the other. Problem is - where do the bullies go? I put Herman in the small dog side because he was small, and that's where that beast attacked him. Of course after the attack his owner told me she had to take him out of the big dog side because he was being aggressive or something. He looked like a german shepherd mix.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We have a pretty big fenced in backyard if you want to get Herman and Bacon together for a play date some weekend :-) I think their are a few others in the area as well. I know there is a morristown group on meetup.com that is having a get together in October but we won't be around

That sounds awesome!!!! Let's do it :)

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
The one near me is split up like that - big dogs on one side, small dogs on the other. Problem is - where do the bullies go? I put Herman in the small dog side because he was small, and that's where that beast attacked him. Of course after the attack his owner told me she had to take him out of the big dog side because he was being aggressive or something. He looked like a german shepherd mix.

Our park is seperated between big & small dogs as well. Jawa has always come to the big dog side. We actually have quite a few small dogs that come to the big dog side because there are a few ankle biters over there that don't get along with others. I don't take my dogs in the afternoon because I have heard the park is quite a bit different. Because of the size of my dogs people did get nervous, especially when Harley starts to bark and play, but the only things they do is get the other dogs wet with nice doggie slobber.

eleanorsserf

Sep 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Alfred
We started taking eleanor when she was about 3 months old. The dog park by us as a side for small dog and a separate side for big dogs. The dogs and the people on the small side are all well behaved and trained. Their parents are really good as well and they make a good crowd. Eleanor loves going there and playing with other dogs. A few of the dogs weren't as active as she was and they let her know when they were tired of her. She learned the pecking order of the park eventually and settled in pretty good. She's very well socialized and everyone loves her. The small side has a weight restriction (30 lbs) but the people there say she can stay on the small side as long as she wants.

beechbone

Sep 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I took Hank to the dog park once so far. He's a little over 2 and it was his first time with that many dogs, besides our other dog (frenchie). He did well but seemed like a shy little toddler and stayed close to me most of the time. Pretty cute. His frenchie brother, on the other hand, has a Napoleon complex and annoyed the crap outta everyone else. I won't be taking him anymore but Hank will probably do great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i used to , but lost my patience with the 'owners' that did not watch or correct thier dog and thought it was their chance for someone else to watch their misbehaving dog. Just got too stressful and Banks does not do well with high energy / unbalanced dogs.... she does well at dog-daycare, but not public dog parks

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
We never take Bo to the dog park. People around here use their dogs as accessories and never really pay attention to what they are doing. I went once to check it out by myself, and I ended up getting in the middle of two labs chewing on 1yr boy ebd, his poor lil squishy rolls were bleeding, he jumped right into my arms and I carried him around trying to find his owner... she was out jogging on the running track (don't get me started). It really troubles me to think about what would have happened to that poor boy if I hadn't been there since no one else was doing anything!!!! I would loose it if something bad happened to my Bo, he's a full fledged member of our family, so we just don't go at all. He would love it bc he's such a playbaby, but I can't take the chance. I want to start my own ebd park!!! Only ebd allowed, lol! Bo gets regular play dates with our other ebd friends, that counts right?

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We never take Bo to the dog park. People around here use their dogs as accessories and never really pay attention to what they are doing. I went once to check it out by myself, and I ended up getting in the middle of two labs chewing on 1yr boy ebd, his poor lil squishy rolls were bleeding, he jumped right into my arms and I carried him around trying to find his owner... she was out jogging on the running track (don't get me started). It really troubles me to think about what would have happened to that poor boy if I hadn't been there since no one else was doing anything!!!! I would loose it if something bad happened to my Bo, he's a full fledged member of our family, so we just don't go at all. He would love it bc he's such a playbaby, but I can't take the chance. I want to start my own ebd park!!! Only ebd allowed, lol! Bo gets regular play dates with our other ebd friends, that counts right?

OMG that poor baby - she just left him to go jogging!!??? That is irresponsible - the dog park is not a babysitter. I hope you reported her.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Well, I still take Delilah to the local dog park, though not as much as I used to, since she's now been attacked twice by larger, aggressive dogs whose owners don't know how to handle their dogs.

We have a "big dog" and a "little dog and older, timid" dog park. Well it's one park with just different sections. I've been taking Delilah into the smaller dog section lately..lol. She gets to play and it's just not as dangerous. It seems like those owners are more responsible and I haven't had any problems over there yet. Occasionally I take her on the big dog side, just depending on the day. I'm one of the "regulars" and know almost everyone, so if I see a dog I don't trust around Delilah, I don't go in the big dog side. But there's several people I like to socialize with on given days, like Monday nights for example..so we do tend to go on Monday nights into the big dog side.

The place I work at now has doggie daycare, so Delilah gets to go in daycare while I'm working, which she loves. It helps wear her out, lol. So I don't need to take her to the park near as often as I used to.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
The place I work at now has doggie daycare, so Delilah gets to go in daycare while I'm working, which she loves. It helps wear her out, lol. So I don't need to take her to the park near as often as I used to.

I would love that - but 1) it will never happen where I work and 2) i wouldn't take Herman to NYC except maybe on a special occasion (no offense to the big city dogs LOL)

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
I take Philly at least 2x a week to the dog park, we go early in the morning , usually there is one or 2 dogs. Most owners are very responsible they don't leave their dogs alone. My wife also takes him but usually it's in the afternoon she wants Philly to play with other dogs, but Philly being a Bulie tends to get over excited and scare his playmates, no bitting just running towards his playmate and sometimes head butting them!

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Gunner loves to play but I am very afraid of taking him to dog parks. We do the organized BullDog meet up where there are just bulldogs and their owners. I know it sounds harsh, but other breeds aren't familiar with the bullies and I can't go packing heat if some BIG dog hurts my baby... Just kidding on the packing heat, but I do feel as though the dog parks are as bad as the parents that drop their kids off at the swing set and go talk on the cell phone and never look back.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I would love that - but 1) it will never happen where I work and 2) i wouldn't take Herman to NYC except maybe on a special occasion (no offense to the big city dogs LOL)

lol, I'm in a smallish town in Iowa. not a whole lot going on here!

Most Reactions