Do you take your bully to dog parks?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I took Herman to the dog park by my house when he was a little younger. His little face lit up when he saw all the dogs play. I didn't want him to go in just yet (I think because I thought he was too small/young maybe around 4 months). Anyway, he wanted to go in so badly so I decided to let him, and before he could even get in this wild dog, Bandit, attacked him!

What annoyed me was that the owner told me that she had just gotten Bandit (he was 9 months) and didn't know his behavior .... so why did she bring him to the park of all places?? She couldnt figure out why he attacked Herman like that - and held Bandit on his leash while Herman had a chance to play for a little while.

I noticed that Herman's ear was bleeding and had a scratch or two when I got home.

That following week in puppy kindergarten, one of the puppy parents told me that the trainers there told them they dont use dog parks, just for that reason.

Do you guys allow your bullies to play in dog parks?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Absolutely not and that is the exact reason. We went to puppy school with Bacon and were looking forward to the dog park in town when he got a little older. We spoke to the instructor and she told us she knew of people in town that had aggressive dogs and brought them to the dog park to try to socialize them, or to see what would happen if they were around other dogs. What do you think is going to happen???? So frustrating because I would love to let Bacon play with other dogs, but you just can't trust people. So no dog park for Mr. Bacon

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We do go sometimes. When Usko was a puppy he almost got attacked a few times but he had his tiger mommy with him. One small poodle hated him and tried to attack Usko every time they met I managed to get in the way. Luckily his owner had some sense and they always left the park when we came in. I took a grab of one dogs tail and and pulled it away just when it was about to attack Usko. So so far we've been good and had no injuries. No he's a big boy and he gets along with everybody and if a small dog barks at him he just walks away. He sometimes barks back when we're on a walk, but most times he don't give a :poo:
Yesterday we went to a dog park and met with Usko's sister and another male bullie Pekoni (Bacon, btw:). It was raining so we had the big park all to ourselves and they had a blast. Pekoni is almost 3 and Usko almost 2 and they come along so well. I was a bit doubtful first about how they would get along this time with one female in the gang, but the were real gents and let the other have his nose in her behind with no jealousy:2thumbs:

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We do go sometimes. When Usko was a puppy he almost got attacked a few times but he had his tiger mommy with him. One small poodle hated him and tried to attack Usko every time they met I managed to get in the way. Luckily his owner had some sense and they always left the park when we came in. I took a grab of one dogs tail and and pulled it away just when it was about to attack Usko. So so far we've been good and had no injuries. No he's a big boy and he gets along with everybody and if a small dog barks at him he just walks away. He sometimes barks back when we're on a walk, but most times he don't give a :poo:
Yesterday we went to a dog park and met with Usko's sister and another male bullie Pekoni (Bacon, btw:). It was raining so we had the big park all to ourselves and they had a blast. Pekoni is almost 3 and Usko almost 2 and they come along so well. I was a bit doubtful first about how they would get along this time with one female in the gang, but the were real gents and let the other have his nose in her behind with no jealousy:2thumbs:

Glad they shared the wealth there LOL

You pulled the dog's tail??? :clap2: I guess it all just depends. Herman gets along with everyone and loves every dog (and their owner), so when I get nervous and dont let him in, he looks so sad standing outside the gate looking at the other dogs :(

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Absolutely not and that is the exact reason. We went to puppy school with Bacon and were looking forward to the dog park in town when he got a little older. We spoke to the instructor and she told us she knew of people in town that had aggressive dogs and brought them to the dog park to try to socialize them, or to see what would happen if they were around other dogs. What do you think is going to happen???? So frustrating because I would love to let Bacon play with other dogs, but you just can't trust people. So no dog park for Mr. Bacon

I know and there is a park by us and he sees the dogs there and wants to play - he can hear them barking and tries to find them. I dont trust owners at all. Even the owner of the pitbull, Jackson, in Herman's puppy kindergarten had no control over him. Then on the last day when Jackson tried to attack a poodle, the owner said "he's just a puppy" when they told him to put Jackson in a separate corner.

GiGi Rena

Aug 29, 2012
Meridian, Idaho, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sascha & Bella
I've never taken my bulldogs to an open park - we have set play dates with other bulldog owners. And for the reasons above I won't do it because even though the pups are so happy and want to go - I don't want to put them through that kind of stress if another owner doesn't control their dogs.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 3 and a half years old, when he was around 1, I took him to our local dog park, a black lab kept biting his neck rolls and pulling on them, and the owner did NOTHING even though I seperated them twice, the lab kept coming back at Vegas all in play, but in my opinion not funny! . We leashed Vegas back up and left. We have never gone back.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I do occasionally take Tonka to the dog park just because he loves it so much! I have never had an issue at our park, really. I think one time a larger dog was playing a little rough with Tonka but I always go with my boyfriend and he steps in if ever anything should get "tense." Our dog park is huge so the dogs are spread everywhere which is kind of nice. I guess I trust that if another dog owner knows their dog is not social or has exhibited aggressive behavior they would not take their dogs to the park but I guess you never know for sure. Never really thought about that and that's why I keep such close watch and am ready at any moment to jump in just in case. I also think it helps that when another dog does display dominance over Tonka, he knows to get low to the ground and be submissive...he doesn't play the hero! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Never take mine to dog parks, you just never know what might happen.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I know and there is a park by us and he sees the dogs there and wants to play - he can hear them barking and tries to find them. I dont trust owners at all. Even the owner of the pitbull, Jackson, in Herman's puppy kindergarten had no control over him. Then on the last day when Jackson tried to attack a poodle, the owner said "he's just a puppy" when they told him to put Jackson in a separate corner.

We have a pretty big fenced in backyard if you want to get Herman and Bacon together for a play date some weekend :-) I think their are a few others in the area as well. I know there is a morristown group on meetup.com that is having a get together in October but we won't be around

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
We really met our first bullie at the dog park, that is what got us interested and led me here. I guess we are lucky that our "Morning Group" all pretty much know each other and each others dogs. When Jawa (the bulldog) shows up its like Norm showing up at Cheers. Jawa runs and says hi to every dog in the park as everyone chants Jawa Jawa. Its a hoot to see him and my mastiff playing together and our rottie tries and cleans his wrinkles.
Here is a picture of Halrey and Jawa IMG-20120916-00013.jpg

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We don't have a dog park locally and the closest one is over an hour away, so we haven't to this point. Our small town is trying to get one though and there's even some land that the city is willing to donate for it. I'd like to swing by and sit with the wife for a couple of hours if it ever happens and see how other owners are with their control. One plus is that the city is considering splitting the park in 2 sections.....1 for smaller dogs and one for larger dogs. Thankfully, the area in consideration is a couple of blocks from the downtown area where people walk their dogs religiously, so there may be some good results. Other owners and their possible lack of control/leadership is worrisome though.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
There is only one dog park that we will take Gunny and Denali to. It is really large and spread out. Once there was a dog that was aggressive and I just went up and asked the guy to leash his dog or leave. He left. I have little patience for people that take their dogs in public knowing that they are aggressive. I don't have to worry about Gunny because Denali our boxer acts like she is indifferent to him, but if there are other people or dogs around she doesn't let him out of her sight. She will immediately put the smack down on a dog that she feels is getting too rough. (She will just step in the middle of them and 'make her presence known' - doesn't growl or get nasty).

I have left when I felt it was to crowded, mostly because it is too chaotic.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.