Do you feed your ebd the recommended amount of kibble on the bag?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I was looking on the bag of totw pacific salmon kibble I feed my puppy. Its says dogs between 30-40lbs 2/1/2 cups a day. I don't know if I am doing this right but I put about a third of a small metal dish of food for him in the monring when I let him out of his crate. Then I might handfull 2 more times the same amount.. I like him to have acess to food if he is hungry and this isn't even mentioning the training treats I give him or the third of a banana with peanut butter on it or the yogurt I give him in the mornings after we come in.. I spoil him a bit but he isnt overweight as far as I know. My question is.. if I fed him the recommened 2 1/2 cups of kibble a day he would be starving and already the kitchen is his favorite room. He knows where the food originates and when I go in there he is a chow hound so to speak.. Thanks everyone.. Hero

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We feed Bacon the recommended amount for his weight, he gets 1 1/2 cups of beef frittata in the morning and at night. He will get treats some times, and more on weekends because we are around all day and he is doing fine. We will actually find out what he weighs tonight at the vet which I'm curious to see.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
We feed Mr. Seamus 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 in the evening of TOTW puppy formula. He is 5 months old and 28lbs. The vet said he was perfect weight and we should keep feeding him that much. I have no idea what the bag says but I guess I am going to keep doing what I am doing. I also use kibble and treats during the day to get him moving (he is a slow/stubborn walker).

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I feed Herman 1 1/4 cup in the morning and 1 cup (sometimes 1 1/4) at night. He's always had this amount since he was a baby :) It was less than the Eukanuba bag says, and is the amount listed on the back of his Earthborn bag. The only difference now is that I have cut down his training treats significantly because he gets a "peanut butter" sandwich at night to take his medicine. I think I'm starving him most of the time, but after I really look at the amount of food in his bowl, and compare it to the size of his tummy it seems about right. He's probably about 47 pounds now - and is 6.5 months (soon to be 7 months!!!!)

His vet told me the amount I'm giving him is OK and he's the right weight. If I sense that he still wants more, then give him more. So when he's still sniffing around his bowl, I'll sometimes give him a little more. Usually he eats, then goes about his business. I'm definitely going to start giving him more fruits/veggies as treats during the day though.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus eats Fromm and had always eaten what the back of the bag said or maybe a little more. He was and still is very active and perfect shape. I dont go too much by weight b/c they are all shaped different.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Wow I think I may be feeding him too much.. When went in the hosiptal 2 weeks ago monday morning he was 35 lbs and he is just 5 months old.. I am sure he has gained more since being home. He eats like a pig and drinks a lot of water as well. I dont know if it has anything to do with his meds but he is almost done with them.. I think the bags must be right but I hate to starve him.. I guess I will check with my vet next trip.. Is there a weight a healthy bulldog puppy weight chart in terms of age I wonder? Thanks everyone. Hero

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION], how old is your Bacon?
I have the same concern with my Bacon. I feed her total of 2 cups a day and she's 3months 1 week and it looks like she's been starved every time she eats. Se wights 14 lbs now so I don't think she's over weight but I am afraid to give her more.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Actually.my vet says the back of dog food bags (their feeding recommendations) are like the instructions on shampoo bottles. (lather, rinse,repeat). You follow their directions and it's more advantageous to the company! (more sales)

Bullys are always hungry, and will act like they are starving! Most people feed a bit more for puppies but by the time they are a year to 18 months, they should be about 3 cups at max a day. Jake gets 1 cup am and one cup pm. He's a perfect weight at 54 lbs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks gets two cups a day........ 1c in AM and 1c in PM... I've never read the bag, I go by how she looks and what the vet says during visits. she is 7 yrs old and 63lbs.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone, I just measured out 1 and 1/2 cups for Buddys morning meal . I usually leave to bowl of food and bowl of water at his acess and refill both, several times a day as needed. Hes going to a new routnin now.. Thanks everyone. Hero

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks everyone, I just measured out 1 and 1/2 cups for Buddys morning meal . I usually leave to bowl of food and bowl of water at his acess and refill both, several times a day as needed. Hes going to a new routnin now.. Thanks everyone. Hero

Much better for him! And a great no calorie snack is frozen green beans!

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I have been training him or lets say conditioning him to walk with me on a leash with vieana sausauges ( low fat) and I slice them into little tini slices about a quarter of an inch thick. I am going to pick up some frozen green beans. Just hope he likes them. He seems to eat almost anything. Thanks Jakeisgreat. Hero

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have been training him or lets say conditioning him to walk with me on a leash with vieana sausauges ( low fat) and I slice them into little tini slices about a quarter of an inch thick. I am going to pick up some frozen green beans. Just hope he likes them. He seems to eat almost anything. Thanks Jakeisgreat. Hero

Everybully needs treats! :D

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
1 in the morning and 1 in the evening and I use his kibble for treats and that amounts to 1/3 cup, the bag says 3 cups, vet was the one who suggested reducing the amount to what it is now cause biggie started gaining weight, ever since I reduced it, his wight has been perfect

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online