Cherry Eye

Luv2dive1

Sep 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Hello,

I'm new to the site but it seems to have a lot of great info and everyone seems very friendly so I'm looking forward to talking with everyone!

I need your help right away, I have a 14 week old English bulldog named Tyson that has just develop cherry eye and I'm freaking out about the whole thing! I took him to a vet yesterday and she gave me some eye drops and said that he will need surgery to fix the problem but wants to wait till he is six months old which is pretty far out! I'm taking him to my regular vet today for a second opinion but wanted to get everyone’s input.

Thanks in advance for your help!

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Funny you should post now because as we speak, my six-month bully, Lucy, is home recovering from a whole host of surgeries (spay, nasal passages, soft palette) and she got her cherry eye fixed. Lucy developed it at around 10 weeks and our surgical vet also said to wait until six months. I don't know how your puppy has been, but Lucy never ever seemed to notice the cherry eye, let alone be bothered by it. She had absolutely no problem waiting until the six-month mark and the surgery went really well--even one day out it barely looked like she'd had surgery.

Good luck with your puppy!

- Katie

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Did your vet massage the cherry eye back in? or show you how to do that? Finn gets a cherry eye every now and then and I've been fortunate enough to be able to massage it back in when it pops out.

Welcome to EBN!!:welcome3:

JLBURCH31

Nov 23, 2011
Our first bulldog Rocky developed a cherry eye when he was a puppy. At that time our vet primarily did the "snip" procedure. Took less than a minute with virtually no recovery time. Years later, with another cherry eye we opted for the pocket technique. Had to be put under, a few rough days of recovery, and it took months for the eye to look normal.

When Harley was a few months old he got a cherry eye. I immediately massaged it back in. ( Pretty easy - there are YouTube videos that demonstrate pretty well.) In the beginning it came out fairly often and I could always massage it back. Gradually it returned less and less and he is now four years old and hasn't had any sign of a cherry eye since he was 8-9 mths old.

I would highly recommend at least trying to massage it in even if you have to do it every day for awhile.

If that does not work and surgery is required IMO the snip (removal) procedure is better. There is some concern that it will cause more dry eye with age but with our Rocky we did not notice any difference between that eye and the other as he aged.

DSC09198.jpg

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
My Chancho just had the tuck surgery today. He's 17 weeks and our bullie vet suggested that it would be a good time to do it since he had been battling it for several weeks now. She said its good to do it now so that his cells can be trained to stay tucked back. I hate to say it but he looks miserable because he has to wear his e-collar. Other than that, he seems to be doing fine. I'll post on here as his healing process continues.

I hope all goes well with you and your baby!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon had it when he was a puppy and we were able to massage it back in with a warm compress. We also gave him benedryl at the same time because the cherry eye was set off by an allergic reaction to plants outside the house and he hasn't had it since.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.