Can an adult ebd be left alone?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone my ebd puppy is 5 months old. In the morning after taking him out to do his buisness. we come in and I clean his folds. ears if they need it and brush him ( he loves it) and then he plays. I don't know how much time everyone here spends with their bulldogs but mine is a full time job and have no idea how anyone could do it if they wern't retired. After we play for an hour or most of the time- 2. he will get sleepy and I put him in his crate because I am in different rooms and he can get into all kinds of things or eat something that may be harmfull to him so he basically has to be supervised at all times. My question is after an ebd is an adult will there be a time when he can be trusted alone on the couch or not. I read ebd's are basically couch potatos and sleep the majority of the day.. I have only had one dog before. a boxer and it was a long time ago and as I remember we didn't even have a crate for him. We had a sliding glass door out to the back yard which was fenced and he was potty trained very early. Just wondering if one day he will be ok here if I have to leave without crateing him.. Thanks everyone. Hero

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
EB's as other dogs need to be taught to be alone, taught not to do what you don't want them to do and taught to do what you want. If you teach him that you're always there he is not going to be happy to be left alone and will get in to trouble by himself. He won't magically learn to behave like you wan't at a certain age if you don't let him know what it is when he is growing up.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
yes I agree with Riisi...

Leave him along for 1/2 hour while you are in the next room and just peek in to see what he is doing...
Then the next day or 2, extend his "alone" time to one hour and check in on him....Pretty soon, if he has gained your trust, you will be leaving him alone for extended periods of time..
Just make sure he has enough "toys" to entertain himself ....

PD: I'm told this was the same tactic my wife did for me and
it seemed to work... :ROFL:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some are good and just don't bother anything, like my Buddy, he can be trusted to be out on his own. But the girls, that's another story. They are good most of the time but every once in awhile they will get into something, so every time we leave, we will crate them and Buddy can stay out. At night we put them all up in their crates and leave Buddy's door open, but he sleeps in his crate any way.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah stays out when we are gone. she doesnt bother anything and we have pee pads for her. i have heard that others crate them while they are gone. yes they have to be taught what is expected of them. even if i did crate sarah i wouldnt do it when i was home. thats when to me they will learn what you want and what you dont want. consistancy ive heard is the key. i dont have to supervise sarah all the time. she can be left alone but i got her when she was one years old.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie is almost 6 yrs old. We can leave for the day and she will be sleeping in the same spot when we get home..lol I'm sure she hardly moves while we are gone.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I think it will be a loooong time (if ever) before I can give Tonka his full freedom. I work full time so during the day he is kept baby gated in the kitchen (his bed is in there) with his toys. He is way too mischievous and sassy to be let out haha. My boyfriend leaves for work a couple hours after I do and one time when Tonka was a puppy (he's just over 1 yr. old now), he accidentally forgot to put one of the doggy gates up before he left for work! Thankfully I stopped home for lunch so he had only had free reign for a few hours...maybe shorter than that since I have no idea when he might have ventured out of his bed and noticed that he was free! I was shocked when he joyfully ran up to the door to greet me when I walked in. Nothing was destroyed or out of place...I just noticed that he had dragged most of his toys into the living room so he must have been playing like a good boy. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I notice that when Herman is left home alone, he just goes in his crate and naps. I leave him out sometimes while I'm running errands and he doesn't get into any trouble.

However, when we ARE home, he can get into some mischief (like eating my AC power cord!), but he does that when we're home. Go figure.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I didn't know what others do. I leave here but whenever I do he is in his crate. When he is not sleeply thou and even if I leave the room for a min sometimes he will let out little barks as if to say Where are you? he doesnt like to be left alone if not in his crate. He is still in training. I am still trying to get him to walk with me on a leash ( with a harness) I sent away for a Mendota ez trainer harness which goes around his belly. We'll see if this works or not. If not I HAVE to go to the brittish style slip leash. He is like a blood hound and constantly smelling everything in the grass. putting whatever looks good in his mouth. I am bent over half the time taking everything out of his mouth. I wondered what you all did. I know the breeder where I got him says on her website ebd's can be destructive so make sure you know this before getting one. Thanks everyone. Hero

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Princess Gracie is almost 6 yrs old. We can leave for the day and she will be sleeping in the same spot when we get home..lol I'm sure she hardly moves while we are gone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly what Banks does to... where she is when I left is where she is when I return

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When Stig was a pup, we attached an xpen to his crate so he has more room to roam, but confined in that space. He'd sleep in his crate, then go potty in a corner of the xpen. Then probably when he was 9 months or so, we tested how he is if he was left alone in the kitchen and dining area. We'd leave for an hour, then longer eventually. He did really well. He would still sleep in his crate! We used baby gates to block him from the other rooms. We also made sure to unplug everything that he can get his teeth to, and only leave toys that he can't chew through.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
When we got Charlotte as a foster she didn't have a crate so we babygated her in the kitchen..after two days of no accidents and no chewing we gave her the run of the apartment and she does just sleep on the couch most days.

bitla

Sep 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louis
this issue was so hard for me at the begining, but now my bullie is know to stay on it's one very well.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I was told my older brother who has had numerous dogs that after he is potty trained. most likely he will be ok on his own.. My fear is first the wellfare of my puppy then ofcourse him being destructive and ofcourse I live in a condo and I like to get up a bit early in the morning to clean ect and his crate is in another bedroom and during the day hours his crate is out in the living room.. I do not like it there. It is fine for a while. I could probably deal with it for a year but eventually I was hoping he will be ok on the couch.. gated in the ktchen. something along those lines. I don't want to keep him crated up in the day anyways. Just seems to confining for him.. Only to sleep or when I cannot watch him.. Thanks everyone. Hero

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
I leave Maggie (9 months) to roam around the downstairs when we go to work and she is great , its usually never more than 3-4 hours that she is alone though.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.