Today is a sad day concerning Vegas...video added.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Re: Today is a sad day concerning Vegas...

Bella loved blueberries, when she was allowed to have them. I can still give her fresh fruits and veggies but it has to be immediately after dinner. Abby will eat carrots and apples. Sophie won't eat anything that is veggie related (she gets that from Terri's side of the family)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

I dont think Vegas is fat either! Course what do I know my boy could lose 4 or 5 pounds also. hehe. As for mushrooms they are ok I am pretty sure. Have heard to not give them but then saw the reason being that they can be poisonous... hello?!?! We know this, not like we are picking them in the forest. lol. My boys LOVE lima beans, peas, really I say anything you see in the frozen veggie section. (Thats where I get mine cuz it lasts forever) I do tend to see that when I feed them raw they come back out almost whole so I think for them to absorb the vitamins maybe cooked would be better?

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester

OOh.. poor Vegas! That's almost as bad as the rude computer guy who told me he thought Chester was old and "looked like he was on his way out" :p Well..next time you take Vegas to the vet, dress him in black - it's a slimming color! <o

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

Well, tonight is the first night of his "stew". My mom in law fixed it up for him while I was out, and she added a bunch of stuff. So, Vegas tonight will be eating only 1/2 cup of food and this.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

Dinner time.

Last edited:

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Onions, raisins/grapes and avacado are the main veggies to be careful of.

BUT BE CAREFUL WITH THE AMOUNT OF TOMATO!!!!!!! Granted tomato won't hurt the dog, but I can tell you from my own experience you might want to breathe, and if the bullies had mater, there is no clean air.

I learned this first hand as I have a tomato thief in my house. Twice now I've caught Sadie stealing a tomato and I have to say I have never smelled anything as raunchy in my entire life! I was sitting outside on the patio with friends and Sadie was honking them off loud enough for us to hear, and within moments we had to move upwind.....

Also, a dog really can't digest whole veggies/fruits. When wolves eat the gut contents in the wild, the greens have already begun to break down and are therefore digestable to the dog. Unfortunately if the veggie is raw they aren't really getting much of the nutrition from it at all.

I use the frozen veggies and will usually toss a few, with a lil bit of water into a bowl. The bowl gets covered about 95% with press and seal and microwaved untill the veggies are soft.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I need to weigh Bertie. I know she has gained weight, but I wouldn't say she is fat! She is just an incredible bulk of Love! I have started her on a diet....but I can tell she coulkd have a tendency to become a little hefty if not watched. I might just have to listen to LisaRN and dress Bertie in Black! LOL

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So far....clean air. O stood over her dish for atleast 45 minutes after she was done. She licked the entire bowl clean. And then cleaned it again. Then sat and waited by her bowl. She is a little piggy. After they ate, the both found a comfy spot and started to fall asleep.

Last edited:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
how old is vegas??? cause lex is 7 months and prolly 55 60 lbs!!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Adorable! Who wouldnt want that food right?!?! Heck makes me want to put my boys on a diet. ;) Only thing is for me they feed out of the same bowl and I free-feed so I am not sure how to put them on diets, especially when Mugsy is in perfect shape and doesnt need to lose a pound even. Hmmm....... [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I think you need to post the recipe for this doggy stew. Canned tomatoes or fresh? Details please!

[MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION] I didnt know tomatoes caused bad gas, good to know! Been trying to figure out why both of them have been so stinky lately. Not sure they have had a lot of tomatoes but they always get some whenever I am using them in something so maybe that could be a cause.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
LOVE-LOVE-LOVE the way they keep looking at you in the after dinner video!! They keep just opening their eyes, not moving of course. Looks like they are thinking "REALLY mom???? you need to film NOW, and alls I want to do is nap??????" LMAO!!!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] Vegas just turned 3 in August. Keep in mind this baby boy has epilepsy and his medication is a stimulant. AND, he stands taller and is longer than the "AKC Standard" bulldog. Our vet said he's not even considering numbers. He is just looking at his ribs....or not looking in Vegas's case.

They have now been on this diet for 24 hours and I haven't heard or smelled anything foul from them at all. Vegas typically doesn't have gas. Rarely does he pass gas at all. Orion will sometimes have gas, but I think it's more from her eating quickly than anything else.

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] The vet simply said
"High fiber stew - cabbage, mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes. May use green beans for treats".
I know the stew had cabbage, tomatoes (canned diced), green beans, baby carrots and baby peas. Mostly water with a cup of chicken broth. So, she deviated from the original receipe. We would like to get the veggies fresh, but the summer we had here was non-existant and not even our tomato plants produced any healthy crop. So, everything was store bought. They really loved it. So far no one has has loose stools or bad gas. I was worried about Vegas because he has a sensitive tummy, but he has always loved veggies and fruit.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Raw tomatos sure can!!! There is a possibility that cooking them first breaks down whatever it is that causes the gas.

There are days I wish I could say the same about Sadie when it comes to weight. A few people have commented on her energy level and that it reminds them more so of a french bulldog than an english. The sad thing is her energy level has already dropped since we got her in April. When we first got her she just did not know when it was time to stop so we would have to step in and take toys or distract her and Jay while they were playing. We've also gotten suggestions for doggie add/adhd medications LOL!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
OMG!! I was scared to read-on, thought you were going to give truly awful news! Don't do that again! I thought FAT was what Bullies do?...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.