To shave or not to shave...?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Let me preface this by saying that although Raven has a healthy coat she sure sheds. I recently bought a hand vac to vacuum up all the hair she sheds and I swear we need to swifter things every day. We have a friend that has an older Bullie, Hazel, and she said she combats this by having Hazel shaved down by the groomers. Anyone else here do it? Raven is such a scardy cat that I am not sure if she would even sit still for me to do the work.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I go by the belief it it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you aren't having skin or hair issues, as much as the housework is a pain, you don't want to find out that there is a negative reaction or problem with shaving him down. But that is just me.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I go by the belief it it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you aren't having skin or hair issues, as much as the housework is a pain, you don't want to find out that there is a negative reaction or problem with shaving him down. But that is just me.

I was thinking the same thing. God knows how easy it is for their skin to get irritated or something to go wrong.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
One of the members here had their bully shaved shorter, not completely, and said it worked wonders on the shedding.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
One of the members here had their bully shaved shorter, not completely, and said it worked wonders on the shedding.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Hazel is usually shaved shorter not bald. She looks good, it feel nice but I worry if I do it will we regret it.

kspencer

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ava and Spencer
I have two bullies a male and female. Our female has a healthy thick coat like yours and shedding was crazy so this summer I shaved them both and they loved it. it was cooler for both of them and the shedding was none. (loved it) . And know that her coat has grown back I think there is alot less shedding than before.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't done it so can't comment ... but if you don't want to shave then I know a lot of members swear by something called a Kong Zoom Groom .. there are even videos on YouTube that show you the correct way to use one of these. I believe [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] uses it!!

They come up a lot in our monthly auctions that we hold on here for the rescues!! :up:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I haven't done it to mine but a friend of ours shaves theirs down. Just short not bald. You can not see her skin, but it did help on the shedding. You being in New York, I wouldn't do it when it gets cold though, as they will get too cold.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I haven't done it so can't comment ... but if you don't want to shave then I know a lot of members swear by something called a Kong Zoom Groom .. there are even videos on YouTube that show you the correct way to use one of these. I believe @JeannieCO uses it!!

They come up a lot in our monthly auctions that we hold on here for the rescues!! :up:

The Kong Zoom Groom is wonderful. Looks like your dog is snowing fur when used. I also use it in combination with the Furminator and a curry brush. I brush my guys a minimum of three times a week too. Sometimes just with the curry and sometimes with all three. Brushing is the key as it keeps the oil in the skn to the fur. Wilson still sheds quite a bit. What I've really noticed is that it's more the white fur that sheds. With three white dogs it's a battle at times.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I haven't shaved any of my bullies, but did shave my yellow lab in the summer months!! It does cut down on shedding and his undercoat was soft to the touch!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I haven't done it so can't comment ... but if you don't want to shave then I know a lot of members swear by something called a Kong Zoom Groom .. there are even videos on YouTube that show you the correct way to use one of these. I believe @JeannieCO uses it!!

We use the zoom groom on Bacon too and he totally loves it, when you take it out of the closet he gets super excited Bacon wiggles it's hysterical. I would recommend doing it outside if possible because like JeannieCO said it's going to SNOW fur. Bacon also likes to chase and play with the fur balls so we do it on our deck so they blow away before he can eat them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.