what do you say?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It really isn't anyone's business what you paid for anything or any pet, especially a stranger! I sell at antique shows and often people come back to pick up large pieces. I always take the price off and put a sold tag on the item. So many people still open doors/drawers and fondle it and ask how much it sold for. Instead of saying NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS I tactfully tell them a price of about 1/10th of the actual sale price and watch them turn green with envy!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I think people are curious because these type of dogs most people don't get because of the price so they feel like they need to ask. I only tell people I know like my mom, family, close friends what I paid for her. I was scared half to death about 2 weeks back because a guy maybe 20 or so stopped right outside my gate with my two girls in the front yard, and picked up my dog! he didnt see me around the corner on my yard swing but I heard the girls talking to some one so I came around the corner and he was walking along the fench with my dog in his hand. I told him to put down my dog right now and if I caught him around my house again I was calling the cops I also told him she was microchipped in 2 different places and that I would be able to track her if he felt brave enough to take her. My girls later told me that he asked to take pictures of her and he did get pictures and then he picked her up and went to walk off. Later in the day I was in my car with the girls and he didnt see us there he came back with 2 girls and they stopped and were trying to look into my yard. To say the least I personally take her out and I don't leave her side now. It so sad people are so messed up that you cant even feel safe in your own yard.

Om my lord how scary. I just can't believe the nerve of people. WOW

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Later in the day I was in my car with the girls and he didnt see us there he came back with 2 girls and they stopped and were trying to look into my yard. .

Now THAT is just scary!!!! :eek:

I guess I'm lucky because I don't think anybody has ever asked what we paid for any of our bullies!! I can say with total honesty that Linus was a christmas gift and Daddy and Bella are both rescues ... that is if we keep Bella!! :pray:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Depends on who it is and how they ask. If in general I feel that it is with legitimate interest in the breed I tell them that my researched show in our area they range from "x" to "y" and why they cost what they do (c-sections and high maintenance as young puppies) and then always warn them that if they were to find out outside of that range they should be very weary. I also carry cards from our local rescue and will give them one to ask questions or find out more. Like I said, my response varies depending on how it is asked. Sometimes my response is less that my car but more than a gallon of gas.

yankee7382

Jul 13, 2012
Flat Rock, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
allie beth
only 4 people know the coupel we got allie from and us everyone elese leave guessing with less then you think and more then i wanted the people that do own bull dogs dont bother they know and it shouldnt mater how much there are priceless

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never answer the question... just act like I did not hear it

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If it's someone I don't know I will tell them they are not full blood and didn't cost that much and leave it at that. [MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] I think the next time you see that guy, take a pic of him and go the the police and tell them he tried to steel your bully and he has been hanging around your house and taking pic.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
people always ask me..and I usually throw out that we adopted her, she's spayed, and bulldogs are known for health problems, just to keep the risk of someone trying to take her down. I also have people just ask me for puppies all the time. As if my spayed dog will just pop some out.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I should do that creepy to think he took pictures of my Lola but my girls were with Lola so I hope he didnt get pictures of them. We have talked about putting up a higher fench too!

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I was really paranoid when Gunner was a little puppy. There was a guy in the neighborhood that would stop all the time to just stare at him, he finally asked if he could take his picture to show his friend. I said sure if I can take a picture of your kid to send to my cousin in prison. He quickly stopped... I believe I would have shot him if he tried anything.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4808]BullDogGunner[/MENTION]-hahahahahahaha that would have been priceless to see! That was the most perfect thing to say!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Very few people know what we paid for our boy, but I've been asked. I usually just say a pretty penny or these dog can be a little pricey. It's amazing how much attention these guys get. I would come back from Pet Smart trip and tell my husband about all the attention Tank would get. One day he went with us and was totally surprised. We even had people yelling across the parking lot telling us how much they love our dog. I've had people take his picture and people asking to pick him up - before he got too big :) I think most people are just curious and harmless but I never let my guard down because you never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I was really paranoid when Gunner was a little puppy. There was a guy in the neighborhood that would stop all the time to just stare at him, he finally asked if he could take his picture to show his friend. I said sure if I can take a picture of your kid to send to my cousin in prison. He quickly stopped... I believe I would have shot him if he tried anything.
:rofl: The look on that guys face must have been priceless. The only people we tell are friends/family, and after reading some of the things in this feed I'm very glad that we have an 8 ft wood fence around the back yard.

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
people always ask me..and I usually throw out that we adopted her, she's spayed, and bulldogs are known for health problems, just to keep the risk of someone trying to take her down. I also have people just ask me for puppies all the time. As if my spayed dog will just pop some out.[/QUOTE]

Oh I hear you on that.. We've only had Penny for 2 weeks and people are already asking about puppies, hello she's only 3 months! And I don't feel like being a grandma lol. So she is getting spayed as soon as it's allowed for her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.