what do you say?

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
So, one of the first questions people ask whenever they see Penny is how much did she cost? My husband says I shouldn't tell people in our neighborhood cause someone might try to steal her. And then today I'm an idiot cause we had a guy coming to spray our backyard with weed killer and he saw Penny and asked how much she was.. I told him and immediately realized I shouldn't of, it just came out I couldn't think of a lie at the time. I'm sure nothing will happen but I can't help but be a little paranoid she's my precious baby and people are so desperate for money these days..
Anyways do you tell the truth when people ask? Or are you paranoid like me?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm PARANOID!

I have had terrible thoughts that people would take Herman mainly because every one stops their cars to say hi or tell me they have a bulldog (or in some cases ask me if he's dead when he's just lying limp on the ground and wont get up). But then I realized that so many people in the neighborhood know him now that I feel much more comfortable - if someone would see him with an unknown they know where he lives.

However, no one has asked me how much I paid for him. I'd probably just say "I adopted him from a nice family who had a number of puppies." But my husband has told people, and I'm not sure why he did that.

My dad asked, and now he's spreading a rumor that I bought Herman for $6400 (he gets confused with details) LOL So family members call and ask and I just say "that's not true" LOL And that's all I say.

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
We get asked that all the time :( People who know what they are usually have an idea that they are "expensive". If flat out asked I try to evade the question as nicely as I can.... Oh, he wasn't too bad, he was a gift (which isn't REALLY a lie lol) or my favorite - he was cheaper than a kid :)
I had a guy at the pet store FOLLOW us around and kept telling people - thats a really expensive dog - even though we didn't tell him what we paid for Larry. Really creeped me out.
Good luck :(

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I had a guy at the pet store FOLLOW us around and kept telling people - thats a really expensive dog - even though we didn't tell him what we paid for Larry. Really creeped me out.
Good luck :(

:eek: I would've been so mad! Flippin creep. What a weirdo. I think I would have said a lot of bad words to him. Ones you shouldn't say in public...but I would have.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
So, one of the first questions people ask whenever they see Penny is how much did she cost? My husband says I shouldn't tell people in our neighborhood cause someone might try to steal her. And then today I'm an idiot cause we had a guy coming to spray our backyard with weed killer and he saw Penny and asked how much she was.. I told him and immediately realized I shouldn't of, it just came out I couldn't think of a lie at the time. I'm sure nothing will happen but I can't help but be a little paranoid she's my precious baby and people are so desperate for money these days..
Anyways do you tell the truth when people ask? Or are you paranoid like me?

I am very paranoid so I always downplay the pups and say they were rescues. Sad that you can't trust people isn't it?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Also throw out there that she's spayed (even if she isn't, that wouldn't work for a males though :) ) That may deter someone from wanting to steal her for breeding...if they know she's spayed then she's "worthless" to them. As you can tell I'm paranoid too. When I take them outside to do their business I make sure I stand between them and the street just so no one can get a clear view that its a bulldog(s) that live there.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I actually did get Jackson from a rescue, but no one can ever tell, so they do ask us how much was he. I just say "we got him from a rescue" and they are OK with that answer. They must not be familiar w/ rescues b/c they get the impression that he was free, which is NOT true. lol You could also say "she was a gift" or "my husband bought her, so I'm not sure".

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
It makes me nuts that people ask that. I tell them the truth that her owner was sick and didn't care for her properly so I took over. That's all they need to know. People are just DUMB!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think people are curious because these type of dogs most people don't get because of the price so they feel like they need to ask. I only tell people I know like my mom, family, close friends what I paid for her. I was scared half to death about 2 weeks back because a guy maybe 20 or so stopped right outside my gate with my two girls in the front yard, and picked up my dog! he didnt see me around the corner on my yard swing but I heard the girls talking to some one so I came around the corner and he was walking along the fench with my dog in his hand. I told him to put down my dog right now and if I caught him around my house again I was calling the cops I also told him she was microchipped in 2 different places and that I would be able to track her if he felt brave enough to take her. My girls later told me that he asked to take pictures of her and he did get pictures and then he picked her up and went to walk off. Later in the day I was in my car with the girls and he didnt see us there he came back with 2 girls and they stopped and were trying to look into my yard. To say the least I personally take her out and I don't leave her side now. It so sad people are so messed up that you cant even feel safe in your own yard.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I too am paranoid and never ever tell someone if they ask how much Wilson or Emma cost. The only time I do tell someone if they do ask if it's someone I personally know. Stranger, heck no! :nonono:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
People are usually too busy oohing and ahhing over her or the idiots who say "Oh my what a fat dog" Yes fathead, I feel like saying she is a bulldog :bitching: You wouldn't know with that rat of yours....... Did I just vent there???? :rofl: I keep my cool because they may be friends or family of clients of ours. You never know. My husband Mike is more paranoid than I am and is convinced that everyone who looks crooked at Dublin is going to steal her. I don't think anyone has asked how much we paid for her. People do comment that she must have been expensive. I never offer any information on that other than to say if you really want an EB then look into adoption. The things people feel free to ask........

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I think people are curious because these type of dogs most people don't get because of the price so they feel like they need to ask. I only tell people I know like my mom, family, close friends what I paid for her. I was scared half to death about 2 weeks back because a guy maybe 20 or so stopped right outside my gate with my two girls in the front yard, and picked up my dog! he didnt see me around the corner on my yard swing but I heard the girls talking to some one so I came around the corner and he was walking along the fench with my dog in his hand. I told him to put down my dog right now and if I caught him around my house again I was calling the cops I also told him she was microchipped in 2 different places and that I would be able to track her if he felt brave enough to take her. My girls later told me that he asked to take pictures of her and he did get pictures and then he picked her up and went to walk off. Later in the day I was in my car with the girls and he didnt see us there he came back with 2 girls and they stopped and were trying to look into my yard. To say the least I personally take her out and I don't leave her side now. It so sad people are so messed up that you cant even feel safe in your own yard.

Oh my that's scary!! I don't blame you for not wanting to leave her side

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I have had terrible thoughts that people would take Herman mainly because every one stops their cars to say hi or tell me they have a bulldog (or in some cases ask me if he's dead when he's just lying limp on the ground and wont get up). QUOTE]

LOL. Too funny.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.