cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Today I have been trying to teach Tate and Finn to bark on command. I've been following this game plan here:

Have some treats ready that both you and your dog can eat. Cheese, meat, or cereal should work. Look at your dog and say, “Speak,” then make a barking sound and pop a treat into your mouth. Swallow, repeat your verbal cue, and bark. After some repetitions, your dog will make some sound – a whine, huff, or woof. Any sound counts. Click or say, “Yes!” and give her a treat. When she catches on, she’ll bark when you say “Speak” and not wait for you to bark.

Well, I have been eating way more string cheese and animal crackers than I should be :ROFL: while "training" them! I've been making low bark sounds, high pitched bark sounds, howling...not getting a response from the two of them except for some quizzical stares. They know I'm already odd but this must take the cake. Anyways, does anyone have any successful tricks as to how to teach your dog to bark on command? Maybe i'm just being impatient...we only started this afternoon.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just want to know if you were wearing your dingle bell pants while teaching Tate & Finn to speak? :ROFL: :ROFL:

Hardy-har-har, miss smarty pants :p. You know i'm saving the dingle ball pants for when I come pick you up at the airport! Want to make sure you can spot me! :bigeyes:

:rofl:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] Yep, Herman will speak on command!

I just said "Speak" and did a sharp "bark!" That was the only sound I made and he caught on. However, sometimes when I say "Speak", he'll crouch back and make a low growl and keep doing that. Then I just say "More! More!" until he makes the bark sound. I did try to teach him "growl" since he likes grownling, but then thought that may not be a good idea.

Ummm, and no I never gave myself treats for this LOL Herman was the only one rewarded for speaking :) Maybe your eating the treats is confusing them LOL

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@cali baker Yep, Herman will speak on command!

I just said "Speak" and did a sharp "bark!" That was the only sound I made and he caught on. However, sometimes when I say "Speak", he'll crouch back and make a low growl and keep doing that. Then I just say "More! More!" until he makes the bark sound. I did try to teach him "growl" since he likes grownling, but then thought that may not be a good idea.

Ummm, and no I never gave myself treats for this LOL Herman was the only one rewarded for speaking :) Maybe your eating the treats is confusing them LOL

:lol: That's a good point about the treats! I was just following what that article I found advised. Sure isn't good for my weight though!!
That's great that Herman caught on so quickly. Hmmm...so what's going on w/my boys??? Okay, i'll try w/out eating the snacks. They're napping right now so i'll try it again when they wake up.:2thumbs:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Just want to know if you were wearing your dingle bell pants while teaching Tate & Finn to speak? :ROFL: :ROFL:

OMG Jeannie I was thinking the same thing :ROFL: Tate and Finn would have thought [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] went :girlwacko:

It took Brutus quick! He learned the speak within 2 hours I think. I did his other tricks as well that he knows .... I barked also LOL I can ask him where santa lands aand he tells me the roof :ROFL:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION], you are nuts! but that's pretty funny!!:hahaha:

I think I made a breakthrough with Finn today--I said "speak" and then I barked and then Finn barked back but also lunged at my face while he did that. Now to only make him bark w/out lunging at me...:hissycry:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@ChanelnBrutus, you are nuts! but that's pretty funny!!:hahaha:

I think I made a breakthrough with Finn today--I said "speak" and then I barked and then Finn barked back but also lunged at my face while he did that. Now to only make him bark w/out lunging at me...:hissycry:

Well progress is progress! LOL Congrats!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww, Lulu:luv: Smart kid! Okay, so when you coming over to train my two??? [MENTION=5334]Heff102[/MENTION]

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
You all just make me laugh so much on here :2thumbs: I've been too busy dealing with allergies and hot spots to even think about tricks. I will just revel in everyone elses "triumphs" :ROFL:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@Heff102 and I were on the same wavelength (if he isn't offended by that LOL) - Here's Herman speaking. It was so cute, when I play back the video and he hears me say "speak" he barks at the video (sigh).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.