Real Name
    Jeffrey Ryan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Elk Antlers

Jack is loving his Antlers these days. After he chews most of whatever the stuff is in them out, he loses interest. Since they are quite large, we are wondering if cutting a little bit off the ends
    in order for him to get into them more would work. Has anyone tried that? If so, how do you cut them?
    Life is good today!!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Elk Antlers

Quote Originally Posted by fortindycouple View Post
    Jack is loving his Antlers these days. After he chews most of whatever the stuff is in them out, he loses interest. Since they are quite large, we are wondering if cutting a little bit off the ends
    in order for him to get into them more would work. Has anyone tried that? If so, how do you cut them?

That's an interesting idea. Herman lost interest in his once he got all the marrow out as well - he was all over them until he couldnt reach it anymore. He'll play with it every once in a while. I'm guessing a saw would cut them?

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Dremel cutting wheel I LOVE my Dremel for nails and the Antlers (its good to take the sharp edges off too)

if no Dremel a HackSaw will do

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@RaRett - I have a Dremel - what is the cutting wheel? Or rather what does it look like - I have to see which attachments I have. Sorry to hijack @fortindycouple 's thread with my own question, but I just gave Herman his 3rd antler with the marrow at the tips and he's all over it, ignoring the ones that he cant reach the marrow in. Him biting his antler = him not biting my feet. LOL

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

At Lowes or Home Depot in the Dremel area, you will see a pack of 'wheels' they are the size of a Nickle, but very thin, they come 5-10 to a pack. They should be listed as 'Cutting' You will see them along with all of the other 'Bits' or 'Grind Stones' for the Dremel, should only be like $5.00 for a pack of them

In the original Dremel commercials it would show the tool cutting a nail.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Discs.html shows a video of the wheels or disks

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    At Lowes or Home Depot in the Dremel area, you will see a pack of 'wheels' they are the size of a Nickle, but very thin, they come 5-10 to a pack. They should be listed as 'Cutting' You will see them along with all of the other 'Bits' or 'Grind Stones' for the Dremel, should only be like $5.00 for a pack of them

In the original Dremel commercials it would show the tool cutting a nail.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Discs.html shows a video of the wheels or disks

I remember that commercial from many years ago!

And guess what!? I do have the cutting wheels in my Dremmel box. Thanks so much!!! Would have never occured to me to even think of that.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Jake and my Dena dog love the antlers..marrow or not!!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Mine too, they gnaw them down to just about nothing until I have to toss them
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Bacon loves his antler, he has had it since he was a puppy and finally got through the bones exterior on one end just a few weeks ago.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

I bought Lilly & Bruin some antlers and then after a little while I took them away b/c a STUPID vet told me they're dangerous. I don't know why I didn't go right out and buy them new ones when the vet pee'd me off and I realized she was an idiot. She happened to just get back from a conference that hosted the 'dental people' (whatever you call them) that spout out nonsense and lies to stupid vets so they can go back and spout out the same to dog parents. The way I look at it is, the 'dog dentists and dental product makers' don't want them chewing on antlers, b/c it keeps their teeth clean naturally, and if that happens, then they won't get plaque and tooth decay so you won't go spend your money on toothbrushes and toothpaste and teeth cleanings. Sorry...I'm done now. I'll think I'll go order some antlers now
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Make sure you buy some good safety goggles with those cutting wheels!! They are not really meant to cut through something as thick as an antler. They break VERY easily.. and I've seen them embed into people, walls.. children (just kidding about the children.. they know better then to use the cutting wheel to cut something like an antler ).

If you don't have something like a bandsaw or sawzall... You need to decide how much your eye's are worth.. then weigh that with the cost of a new antler.

Safety first people!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Make sure you buy some good safety goggles with those cutting wheels!! They are not really meant to cut through something as thick as an antler. They break VERY easily.. and I've seen them embed into people, walls.. children (just kidding about the children.. they know better then to use the cutting wheel to cut something like an antler ).

If you don't have something like a bandsaw or sawzall... You need to decide how much your eye's are worth.. then weigh that with the cost of a new antler.

Safety first people!

LOL Gotcha - stay away from kids and people and where goggles!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads