Elk Antlers

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Jack is loving his Antlers these days. After he chews most of whatever the stuff is in them out, he loses interest. Since they are quite large, we are wondering if cutting a little bit off the ends
in order for him to get into them more would work. Has anyone tried that? If so, how do you cut them?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Jack is loving his Antlers these days. After he chews most of whatever the stuff is in them out, he loses interest. Since they are quite large, we are wondering if cutting a little bit off the ends
in order for him to get into them more would work. Has anyone tried that? If so, how do you cut them?

That's an interesting idea. Herman lost interest in his once he got all the marrow out as well - he was all over them until he couldnt reach it anymore. He'll play with it every once in a while. I'm guessing a saw would cut them?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Dremel cutting wheel :) I LOVE my Dremel for nails and the Antlers :) (its good to take the sharp edges off too)

if no Dremel a HackSaw will do

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] - I have a Dremel - what is the cutting wheel? Or rather what does it look like - I have to see which attachments I have. Sorry to hijack @fortindycouple 's thread with my own question, but I just gave Herman his 3rd antler with the marrow at the tips and he's all over it, ignoring the ones that he cant reach the marrow in. Him biting his antler = him not biting my feet. LOL

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
At Lowes or Home Depot in the Dremel area, you will see a pack of 'wheels' they are the size of a Nickle, but very thin, they come 5-10 to a pack. They should be listed as 'Cutting' You will see them along with all of the other 'Bits' or 'Grind Stones' for the Dremel, should only be like $5.00 for a pack of them

In the original Dremel commercials it would show the tool cutting a nail.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Discs.html shows a video of the wheels or disks :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
At Lowes or Home Depot in the Dremel area, you will see a pack of 'wheels' they are the size of a Nickle, but very thin, they come 5-10 to a pack. They should be listed as 'Cutting' You will see them along with all of the other 'Bits' or 'Grind Stones' for the Dremel, should only be like $5.00 for a pack of them

In the original Dremel commercials it would show the tool cutting a nail.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Discs.html shows a video of the wheels or disks :)

I remember that commercial from many years ago!

And guess what!? I do have the cutting wheels in my Dremmel box. Thanks so much!!! Would have never occured to me to even think of that.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Mine too, they gnaw them down to just about nothing until I have to toss them

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon loves his antler, he has had it since he was a puppy and finally got through the bones exterior on one end just a few weeks ago.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I bought Lilly & Bruin some antlers and then after a little while I took them away b/c a STUPID vet told me they're dangerous. I don't know why I didn't go right out and buy them new ones when the vet pee'd me off and I realized she was an idiot. She happened to just get back from a conference that hosted the 'dental people' (whatever you call them) that spout out nonsense and lies to stupid vets so they can go back and spout out the same :poo: to dog parents. The way I look at it is, the 'dog dentists and dental product makers' don't want them chewing on antlers, b/c it keeps their teeth clean naturally, and if that happens, then they won't get plaque and tooth decay so you won't go spend your money on toothbrushes and toothpaste and teeth cleanings. Sorry...I'm done now. :whew: I'll think I'll go order some antlers now :)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)

:cursing: Make sure you buy some good safety goggles with those cutting wheels!! They are not really meant to cut through something as thick as an antler. They break VERY easily.. and I've seen them embed into people, walls.. children (just kidding about the children.. they know better then to use the cutting wheel to cut something like an antler :tongue: ).

If you don't have something like a bandsaw or sawzall... You need to decide how much your eye's are worth.. then weigh that with the cost of a new antler.

Safety first people!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:cursing: Make sure you buy some good safety goggles with those cutting wheels!! They are not really meant to cut through something as thick as an antler. They break VERY easily.. and I've seen them embed into people, walls.. children (just kidding about the children.. they know better then to use the cutting wheel to cut something like an antler :tongue: ).

If you don't have something like a bandsaw or sawzall... You need to decide how much your eye's are worth.. then weigh that with the cost of a new antler.

Safety first people!

LOL Gotcha - stay away from kids and people and where goggles!! :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I bought Lilly & Bruin some antlers and then after a little while I took them away b/c a STUPID vet told me they're dangerous. I don't know why I didn't go right out and buy them new ones when the vet pee'd me off and I realized she was an idiot. She happened to just get back from a conference that hosted the 'dental people' (whatever you call them) that spout out nonsense and lies to stupid vets so they can go back and spout out the same :poo: to dog parents. The way I look at it is, the 'dog dentists and dental product makers' don't want them chewing on antlers, b/c it keeps their teeth clean naturally, and if that happens, then they won't get plaque and tooth decay so you won't go spend your money on toothbrushes and toothpaste and teeth cleanings. Sorry...I'm done now. :whew: I'll think I'll go order some antlers now :)

You go girl! :clap2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online