Seamus is 5 months old!

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Mr. Seamus will be 5 months old on Sept 23rd and is just about 30lbs. He is doing awesome! Quick question, we are moving apartments (into a bigger unit) in about a week. Do you think this will effect his potty training? The layout of the apartment is very different from our apartment now ... the front door in down a hallway instead of right in the kitchen.

Also, we are trying to work on Seamus walking on the leash. He is very stubborn, which I know it characteristic of all bulldogs. He doesn't pull or walk in front of me, but many times he just stands or sits and won't budge. Is there something I can do?

Here are some new pictures of Mr. Seamus!

IMG_3884.jpgIMG_3871.jpgIMG_3845.jpgIMG_3843.jpgIMG_3834.jpgIMG_3818.jpg

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
First.. he is so adorable and handsome. He will be fine. Remember what he picks up on are the vibes you give out. Can he be somewhere else while you actually move your furniture etc? That might cause him some anxiety. Do you have access to the other apartment right now? so that he can go in and sniff around so when it is his new home it is somewhat familiar? If you can't do either of these things then just stay as calm as possible and just continue your routine as soon as you move in. He is a bullie and where you are it is where he is the happiest :love: I see you are still having the walking issues.. Again, just be consistant. Ms Dublin ( now two) still has her moments and again only when we leave our driveway for a walk. No problem any where else. it does get better. Way better. He looks to be a super happy, healthy bullie. Well done so far. :2thumbs:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Mr. Seamus is just too cute. The new apartment should be fine, and he should be OK with the potty training. He will learn the new place pretty quickly and will know where the door is. We moved not to long ago and ours did very well with it. as far as the walking goes, some just don't like it, but you can encourage them with a little treat in hand.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for all the advice! I do have treats in all my pockets at all times for walking. Its hilarious since I never know what is in my pockets anymore! I have to drop treats to get him moving often. He is doing well walking though. We have gone for about a mile and he did great. He does better when there are interesting things to look at or if there are other dogs.

We aren't sure what we are going to do with him when we move ... we will probably keep him with us since we don't 100% trust our friends to watch him and not forget about him outside or something. We will have access early on Saturday morning and will have movers to move the big stuff so hopefully it won't be too stressful!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the advice! I do have treats in all my pockets at all times for walking. Its hilarious since I never know what is in my pockets anymore! I have to drop treats to get him moving often. He is doing well walking though. We have gone for about a mile and he did great. He does better when there are interesting things to look at or if there are other dogs.

We aren't sure what we are going to do with him when we move ... we will probably keep him with us since we don't 100% trust our friends to watch him and not forget about him outside or something. We will have access early on Saturday morning and will have movers to move the big stuff so hopefully it won't be too stressful!

If you have a crate for him... set it up in a place that will not be as disruptive for him and let him be in his comfort/safe place for the time the move is taking place.

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Also, we are trying to work on Seamus walking on the leash. He is very stubborn, which I know it characteristic of all bulldogs. He doesn't pull or walk in front of me, but many times he just stands or sits and won't budge. Is there something I can do?

Seamus looks GREAT!!!

I have the SAME problems with Brembo. Sometimes he scoots right along at varying paces, but as he's gotten a bit older, he likes to just sit, stop, and stare at me.

I've tried a method by which I keep the leash taut whenever he stops, then when he moves towards me and the leash gets loose, I praise him and give him treats.

The key is for him to believe that it's always going to be better if he's next to you. Sometimes i fear that Brembo is only walking if I will reward him, but I am hoping I can phase out the treats eventually.

I've read that leash walking is usually one of the toughest things to master will all breeds, so I wouldn't get discouraged. It will probably take months and months of consistent and positive repetition. Obviously you never want to DRAG your dog, as it will make the whole experience uncomfortable, so just stay positive and let me know if anything else you try works!

Most Reactions