Help! Brembo has a cold/allergies/runny nose

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Help guys! Not a major thing (at least I hope not), but hopefully you can help me.

First off-- Brembo DOES have a vet appointment scheduled for this Saturday, so if it's not a major issue, i'd like to wait until Saturday to get him checked out.

He's being doing his latest pig impersonation lately. It seems like he may have a cold. I would claim allergies, but he's not itching or red or swollen.

He is sneezing now and then, but it definitely seems like he has lots of mucus built up in the nose area, as his breathing seems a little blocked sometimes, and when he eats he snorts loudly afterwards like he's trying to get air.

The problem (or good thing) is that it's not happening all the time, just in spurts. So sometimes he's breathing fine and other times I'll notice a wet nose, sneeze, or snorting bout.

Can you guys help?
  • The temperature just DROPPED in our area (Connecticut) so it could be seasonal allergies
  • I just (4 days ago) increased his food by 1 cup each day
  • I just switched his food from all grain-free to some grain / some non-grain
Thanks so much!! It's so disheartening to see my little guy snort snort snort when I know it's because he's have difficulty breathing.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I wish I could help you, I know how frustrating it is. Otis is a runny nose too. Thick, green mucousy snots running down his nose... sometimes. It's not all the time, couple times a day at most. Doctor checked him out and thought maybe sinus infection. She gave him antirobe (antibiotic) which he's taken for a month with no change at all.

I'm sure someone else will have great advice. The only thing that I can tell you is to always have a pocket full of tissues.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Allergies..... give benedryl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There has been a rise in dog flu going around, so that's what he may have and will need some antibiotics to help get rid of it, if he has it.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Thanks guys, he's at the Vet right now getting checked out.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hi Everyone,

Turns out Brembo has a SINUS INFECTION. The vet said he's contagious to other dogs until his course of antibiotics runs out, approximately 7 days.

He's taking Clavamox 2x a day for 7 days. Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Anyone with experience?

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi Everyone,

Turns out Brembo has a SINUS INFECTION. The vet said he's contagious to other dogs until his course of antibiotics runs out, approximately 7 days.

He's taking Clavamox 2x a day for 7 days. Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Anyone with experience?

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

Awww poor baby! He will be fine in a couple days once the antibitoc starts working. I have never dealt with this but it sounds like you have in under control. M

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad he is on the road to recovery, and you found out what it was. Hope he feels better soon.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Thanks, David! Your words are much appreciated!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi Everyone,

@2BullyMama, @cali~jenn, @JeannieCO, @ChanelnBrutus
Dang a sinus infection? I guess I never thought a bully could get one of those. Poor thing! I also didn't think sinus infections were contagious, at least in people. Lots of :hug: to Brembo!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Everyone,

:hmm: Sinus infection, contagious??? Really? Sounds more like it would be kennel cough, if he is contagious? Either way... I hope he is feeling better real soon. Give him :hug: from me!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Yeah I think I'll have to get a 2nd opinion regarding the contagious part. I had no idea!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have never dealt with a sinus infection either but never would have thought of one being contagious?! Let me google.... No sinus infections are not contagious but other respiratory infections are. Maybe they just arent certain that it is a sinus infection and are being cautionary?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Sinus infection is what they told me Otis had too. A month of antibiotics and his nose is still gross. It's not all the time, and only one side of his nose.. but its still runny, green and nasty. He has been on antibiotics for the Lyme's disease and antibiotics for the sinus infection twice a day, every day for over a month. If there was any kind of infection anywhere in his body I'm quite sure it would be dead by now. I'm pds his body is a completely sterile environment by now.

So... I just carry tissues all the time and wrestle him to the ground to wipe his boogers.

I hope you have better luck with the antibiotics and his problem clears up for you. :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I have dealt with this issue twice with my girl. Once @ 8 weeks and once @ 4 months. It was an upper respiratory infection. Symptoms were coughing and green discharge from nose. A round of antibiotics cleared it up both times. I would dig deeper if Otis still has green discharge, something has to be causing that .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.