Water bowl question!?

GoGween

Jan 31, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Ok so here's the deal, Spunky basically goes swimming every time she goes in for a drink of water. I mean she really goes for a dip, then afterwards, she shakes, rattles and rolls with all that water on her face. It creates a huge puddle in our kitchen every time she goes for a drink. My question is does anybody have any experience with those controlled water dispensing bowls? I've seen quite a few here and there but have never taken them serious.

Don't Fight The Spunk!

Dawnzi

Aug 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Ok so here's the deal, Spunky basically goes swimming every time she goes in for a drink of water. I mean she really goes for a dip, then afterwards, she shakes, rattles and rolls with all that water on her face. It creates a huge puddle in our kitchen every time she goes for a drink. My question is does anybody have any experience with those controlled water dispensing bowls? I've seen quite a few here and there but have never taken them serious.

Don't Fight The Spunk!
My cat loves those controlled water bowls but my Mackie really hates it.. What I have to do and it works is.... Put a tray of ice cubes with just enough water to cover ice into a bowl It's either do it that way or he tries to drink from the tub (I have a small leak) and if the door is closed he will sit in front and beg... But he does love his ice cubes.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
In MY Opinion, those controlled water bowls would be gross for a bully :rofl: Vegas does the same thing Spunky does, but when he is done his Stainless Steel water bowl is like a huge bowl of slime! I wash his bowl after every time he drinks. I just think fresh non-slime water would be better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience, but Banks is like Spunky.... face deep in the bowl and most of it goes with her. I leave a towel on the floor near the bowl so i can wipe up her trail.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Haven't heard of those. I have heard of the water bowls that recycle the water and I was considering one of those. But I don't think that's going to help you and the mess he makes!!!

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Yes Jenna has the slime bowl also...wash & rinse more than my own dishes...she does make a big mess also...i too leave a slobber towel by her bowl when I hear her drinking I go wipe her face when she's done or if not fast enough I wipe up the floor

Bridget

Jul 28, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridget
It's good to know I am not the only one! I swear Bridget must hold water in her mouth and let it dribble out as she walks away from her water dish. She has trained me to stand by with a dish towel to wipe her face after a drink!

Ah, the things we do for the ones we love!

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
When we first got Jackson and used to crate him, we had one of those controlled water things (like that you'd have for a gerbil, LOL) and he completely ignored it. He would not drink water all day unless he was outside of his crate. Jackson is a very sloppy drinker, so we have his food and water bowls on a mat and we keep a towel nearby to wipe off his mouth once he's done drinking. It sounds tedious, but I'd rather run over to wipe his mouth instead of having it drip all over the floor.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We recently bought Ellie the Petsafe Healthy Pet Water Station. She doesn't make much of a mess **yet** aside from a few drips of water, but I liked that all the pieces are dishwasher safe, it has a stainless steel insert, and you can get filters for it. We bought the largest one that they make and I think it was around $30 on Amazon. I love the size of the bowl as it will be plenty big enough for Ellie's face and head once she gets to her adult size and weight.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
With bullies -- and how my two pups drink -- recirculating water would be gross. Sushi the cat would love it; as evidenced by how he ignores his water bowl, chosing to drink out of the fountain on the patio all summer. Because of my set up at home, I don't notice how AMAZINGLY MESSY these two are with a water bowl until we visit someone else or get a drink when we walk to our local PetPro's. Lonnie has to mop the floor after Bea and Bo come in for shopping and a drink of water. My kitchen is red so I have a red rug -- designed for dogs; soaks up 10X it's weight or something -- a giant red melamine tray on top of that and THEN the giant, red, flat bottomed ceramic bowl (no tipping!). Even with all of that, I still must mop up the glop -- but at least it's safely in the tray!

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I bought one of those microfiber dish drying mats and put the water bowl on it, the kind that is used to dry wine glasses on. It has helped a lot with the mess around her water bowl. She still does leave a trail of drips though as she's walking away from the bowl. It serves the duel purpose of keeping her feeding dish from sliding around on the tile floor too.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We mostly give Bacon ice cubes if he is in the house. If he is chilling out on the deck we give him his water bowl which he shoves his face into and blows bubbles with his nose, it's actually quite entertaining. We also chase him around with paper towels and frequently ice skate on the hard wood floors with paper towels on our feet cleaning up the trail of Bacon drool.

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
At the fabric store they have fabric that is already quilted - I got a piece that that, folded it but an old towel in the middle and sewed it up. That sits under is water bowl... helps A LITTLE.
I think Larry would take a controlled water dispensing bowl as a challenge lol :)

OP
GoGween

GoGween

Jan 31, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thanks for the help, I think we've decided to go with towel or even may under the bowl. It's so hot in TX so her water would fry if we left it out, plus the steel bowl gets hot too! We're looking around for a good thick, water absorbing mat/ towel lol

Thanks everyone!

Don't Fight The Spunk!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.