kids and breed misconceptions

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think as puppies they are rough not mean but just chew and dont know how strong they are but never have I heard of one being mean enough to hurt a child. I take my Lola to soccer practice and she runs for the kids her butt going crazy because she needs to lick them to death. To the kid might be thinking about American bulldogs I have heard a few stories of them but not as bad as Pit Bulls.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I think my dogs behave better than my kid. Then again those vicious toungues and the butt wiggle of death are pretty scary. Bulldog Puppies are even more vicious with their shark teeth and all.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Maybe somebody could correct me if i'm wrong... but i believe you are statistically more likely to be bitten by a Chihuahua or Dachshund (and Golden Retriever, German Shepard, Labrador... etc).

Personally i have been attacked and bitten by:
A Rhodesian Ridgeback (At a dog training class of all places... i needed a few stitches)
A Chow Chow (At an agility contest.. he went after my Golden Retriever and i got in the way)
Chihuahua (these dogs just freak me out... i've never met one who didn't bite me! i'm not joking)
Standard Poodle (got me in the back of the leg as i was walking through a local college)

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka regularly (usually about 9pm) gets the "zoomies" and go absolutely insane starting at one end of the house and running as fast as he can goes to the other end jumping on anything he can along the way. We don't have kids, just us so it's never been a problem but now he is 50 lbs and do you think I can stop him mid run? Well the other day he went zoomie crazy in the middle of the day at my sisters house with my 10 month old nephew asleep beside her p. the couch. I tried desperately to catch him but he went nuts and did his usual thing and jumped on the couch. I wa amazed. He went from 100mph to stopped dead in front of the baby (who woke up wide eyed and terrified) and calmly got down and sat beside the couch staring up at the baby with an I am sorry look on his little face and then went and laid down. The baby looooves Tonka and chases him around trying to grab his curly tail. Tonka follows him waitin for his soother to fall out of his mouth lol. I would never for doubt Tonka around my nephew, he is so gentle and sweet.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
People are so ignorant when it comes to bullies. I have NEVER met an aggressive bully, especially towards children. I'm more aggressive towards children than butler is.

I've seen way more small breeds that are consistently aggressive. I can't stand them. The only large breeds I have encountered that were aggressive were all chow chows i have met and one Dalmatian. I've never met a mean pit either, but my friends who own pits are responsible owners buying from responsible breeders.

Most Reactions