kids and breed misconceptions

Bridget

Jul 28, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridget
Besides spoiling my 17 week old bullie baby, Bridget, I am raising 3 boys. My 7 year old, H, came home from school a couple days ago flipping out over something bad happening to Bridget. He was absolutely inconsolable. (I have to admit he is my drama queen) ... what I finally got out of him was that some neighborhood boy convinced H that bulldogs were a vicious breed and that one day our dog would have to be put down when she hurts somebody. Needless to say, I've been ready to explode ever since.

H and I talked at length about how this was not true. Of course, he came home yesterday upset again. Like any other kid who has been wronged, he confronted said child that his information was untrue. Well the child countered that bullies could kill small children and so would our Bridget when she is full grown.

So before I completely lose it over the stupidity of others, does anybody have any advice on how to approach resolving this and reassuring my little guy? He is heartbroken.

Thank you! -Jane (Bridget's mom)

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
I wish I could help you out on that! I know how you feel! The same thing happened to me a week ago.. although it was not with kids, but GROWN adults! My boyfriend came home from work saying a co-worker told him that bulldogs are vicious and he's seen one "snarl" at a kid before. So he thinks they should be put down. That upset me to hear because I have never met a bulldog that has been vicious to small children. My sister just had a newborn and Tank is very gentle with him. Our neighbors have grandchildren that come over and he LOVES them! So I know what you mean by being upset about that. It angers me that people can just assume a dog is a certain way when they have never interacted with the breed or owned one. I hope this kid that's telling your son this gets a little more educated on the breed by his parents!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sounds like the other kid is confusing english bull with pitt bull not that they are nothing short of complete sweethearts unless they are taught otherwise. Perhaps try countering with that, ignorance is so unfortunate.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm thinking the kid might have the bully confused with pit bulls? I know they have a bad reputation. I honestly am afraid around them (and so are others) not because of the dog, but because I don't trust the owners. We had one in puppy kindergarten (Jackson) who was the sweetest dog, but he attacked a poodle in the class - and the owner said "arrgh, he's just a puppy" and got annoyed when the instructor told him to keep his dog away from the others.

So maybe one way to approach it is to talk to your son (not the other kid) and tell him that it's the owner's responsibility to make sure their dogs are good doggies. And it's the owners responsibility to teach their dogs to do tricks and behave well in addition to taking care of them and protecting them. Also tell him that some doggie owners don't do this and that is why they have naughty dogs. Then give your little boy the assignment to teach Bridget some tricks (like No, down, sit, etc) and/or let him attend puppy class with the dog.

I guess I'm saying instead of defending Bridget and the bulldog breed, give H some ownership for Bridget's behavior. That will empower him when other naughty kids tell him ridiculousness.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Also how often are EBD's used as therapy dogs in children's hospitals and terminal facilities. When we were in puppy school the instructor was trying so hard for us to get Bacon certified as a therapy dog, we just don't have the time for all the classes.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with @elearn! Tell your son that it's the owner's responsibility to raise a caring and balanced bully. Maybe even show him pictures and videos on youtube of older bullies who adore their skin-siblings, especially the ones with babies and toddlers.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm thinking the kid might have the bully confused with pit bulls? I know they have a bad reputation. I honestly am afraid around them (and so are others) not because of the dog, but because I don't trust the owners. We had one in puppy kindergarten (Jackson) who was the sweetest dog, but he attacked a poodle in the class - and the owner said "arrgh, he's just a puppy" and got annoyed when the instructor told him to keep his dog away from the others.

So maybe one way to approach it is to talk to your son (not the other kid) and tell him that it's the owner's responsibility to make sure their dogs are good doggies. And it's the owners responsibility to teach their dogs to do tricks and behave well in addition to taking care of them and protecting them. Also tell him that some doggie owners don't do this and that is why they have naughty dogs. Then give your little boy the assignment to teach Bridget some tricks (like No, down, sit, etc) and/or let him attend puppy class with the dog.

I guess I'm saying instead of defending Bridget and the bulldog breed, give H some ownership for Bridget's behavior. That will empower him when other naughty kids tell him ridiculousness.

:bravo::bravo:

OP
Bridget

Bridget

Jul 28, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridget
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I definitely needed some perspective. It is hard to look at things objectively when you are overwhelmed with anger and frustration ... in my case both for my little boy and for our dog. So thank you for pacifying this mama bear.

I did speak with my H some about a dog's temperament being a product of his environment and that Bridget would behave because we show her and teach her, just like mommy and daddy do with him. It would probably be really empowering for him to go to school with her though. I did take our yellow lab to school several years ago and had a great experience, but my boys were too little to understand. Now it's a different story. They probably should be involved.

I don't think it would be productive to speak to the child, but I think I may say something to the other child's mother?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I sometimes take Amber to school to pick up Kristana and most children have never seen an English Bulldog so the children don't know how to react. EBD is not a common breed that most children have been fortunate enough to be exposed to so maybe the exposure would be a good idea. The children love Amber and have many questions about her and Kristana beams with the opportunity to show off her bully. It makes them both feel special. Good Luck.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Speak to his teacher, explain the situation and ask if you could bring him to show and tell. Kind of a passive way to help your son and his classmates. As much as I would lose my poo and confront the boy's mom, I have also realized crappy kids are raised by crappy parents (huh, kinda like dogs) and would probably be pointless and more apt to have the other kid become even more asshat-ish (oh yeah, I create my own words) to your son.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Having been the owner of both an English Bulldog and a 7 year old boy(s)... I freely give my advice that will solve your problem... Something no 7 year old boy will argue with... and in fact, will probably make him want an EB for the rest of his life (being a man this also makes me want to go home and hug my EB)..

The solution to your problem.....

img2.jpg

Mascot of the U.S Marine Corps... BAM! problem solved.

400504688_xbusi-L-1.jpg

What dog would any american red-blooded-seven-year-old-boy want more?

marine_mascot4_800.JPG

And if that other kid has a problem with that.... He can talk to these guys!

marine-corp-drill-team.jpg

Your welcome :)

[*edit*]
I guess you could also read to him the AKC description of Bulldogs..

The disposition should be equable and kind, resolute and courageous (not vicious or aggressive), and demeanor should be pacific and dignified. These attributes should be countenanced by the expression and behavior.

.. But the Marine idea is your slam-dunk solution.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Having been the owner of both an English Bulldog and a 7 year old boy(s)... I freely give my advice that will solve your problem... Something no 7 year old boy will argue with... and in fact, will probably make him want an EB for the rest of his life (being a man this also makes me want to go home and hug my EB)..

The solution to your problem.....

img2.jpg

Mascot of the U.S Marine Corps... BAM! problem solved.

400504688_xbusi-L-1.jpg

What dog would any american red-blooded-seven-year-old-boy want more?

marine_mascot4_800.JPG

And if that other kid has a problem with that.... He can talk to these guys!

marine-corp-drill-team.jpg

Your welcome :)

[*edit*]
I guess you could also read to him the AKC description of Bulldogs..

.. But the Marine idea is your slam-dunk solution.

Excellent!!! :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I don't think it would be productive to speak to the child, but I think I may say something to the other child's mother?

To be honest, I don't see much point in that. The boy got his information at home, probably from his parents. Once an adult has a stupid idea in their head, it will take an act of God to change their minds. Your best bet is Gunny B's suggestion, I think show and tell would be a great way to educate the kids. Then maybe the kids can educate their parents.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Maybe you can take Bridget in for show and tell to the class and explain about their breed, how gentle they are etc.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Great advice above! I like the show and tell idea and the marine argument...lol. However, like others stated, talking to the parents will be a waste of time. Obviously, the other child heard that from his parents. I would talk to the teacher first :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.