dodged a bullet.. then got blindsided. (Adoption checklist?)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I joked a few months ago about my wife getting a new EB puppy just when Molly was getting over her puppy-ness.. However, it turned out the litter "didn't take" (Edit: I had a bunch of other euphemism listed here... but decided to err on the side of caution).

Anyway.. my wife was sad.. i was happy... life went on... Yesterday i was told we are adopting an EB next week (again.. i seem to have no say in the matter).

It's a long story, but the short version is my wife was asked if we wanted to buy a 10 month old Male EB.. My wife said no, but we would take it in (adopt) and they would know its at a good home. The owners are moving out of town and needed to find a home fast... so.. This weekend our two dogs (Molly=EB, Ellie=Blue Healer) have a play date with the prospective adoptee.

Other then checking the mileage (temperment).. kicking the tires and looking under the hood (vet record check).. going on a test drive (play date with our other dogs)... What do i need to look out for? I've taken in other dogs before, but all have been through shelters or groups where all pre-existing issues where listed on the window sticker.

My wife is picking out wedding dresses for Molly. I think she has them registered at 'TheDogsMeow' (local pet boutique).. Invitations for the wedding will probably go out soon :(
This is a wham-bam-here-is-your-new-dog never see the owners again type of deal :confused:... We've already had the kids draw straws to see who's college money we'll use for Molly's vet bills.. Im a little worried walking into this blind. Other then having our vet hide in a van at the park, then sneaking the puppy over to him for a quick checkup while nobody is looking... Is there anything i should keep my eye out with this dog? Hips, eyes... maybe rub a chicken on him to see if he gets a rash (joking... but hmmmmm)?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
LMAO you crack me up. Sounds like you have it all worked out mostly. Afetr seeing Miila try and run my pack tho when we got her I might add to start off, maybe hand feed and work on tricks so he understands that you guys are in fact the leader and will also help to get to know him some? I think I would do this personally from the start with any pup now after seeing Miila.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great writing.... nothing to add except to clarify -- you are doing the meeting on neutral ground, correct?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Ask the previous owner is the car leaks oil. It may not leak when the engine is warm, but once it cools down over nite and sitting in your garage you might end up with an oil slick where you least expect it.

Also, dont forget to find out what octane he has been running. You want to keep it the same and avoid the engine going into shock with the sudden change of garages and fuel...

Good Luck and keep the rubber side down.... :rofl:

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Our older blue healer has oil leaks (normally when she sleeps).. I don't want another one of those!

Yes, the introductions will be at neutral ground.. both of my dogs are well socialized.. Im not sure about the other dog.

In truth.. i'm trying to make myself see the positive with humor. I just barely got Molly trained (she now comes and gets me when she does something bad "um yea... we're going to need a new TV remote... and we're running low on those things you have plugged into the walls, what did you call them? phone chargers? yea.. i think i got the last one a few minutes ago").

My fear is not that we'll have to train/teach the new dog... but more of... what bad things will Molly teach the new dog.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Our older blue healer has oil leaks (normally when she sleeps).. I don't want another one of those!

Yes, the introductions will be at neutral ground.. both of my dogs are well socialized.. Im not sure about the other dog.

In truth.. i'm trying to make myself see the positive with humor. I just barely got Molly trained (she now comes and gets me when she does something bad "um yea... we're going to need a new TV remote... and we're running low on those things you have plugged into the walls, what did you call them? phone chargers? yea.. i think i got the last one a few minutes ago").

My fear is not that we'll have to train/teach the new dog... but more of... what bad things will Molly teach the new dog.

Fuuny how the bad habits do wear off on the others and rarely do the good ones. Why is that?! :LMAO:

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
:biglaugh: This cracked me up, especially the rubbing the chicken part. Sounds like you're a very good hubby. Remember, when mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy. Good luck with the new addition!