Tail

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lola has a S shaped tail and for some reason when she goes poop she can't lift it not sure if that is normal or not, but anyway I have to clean her tail everytime she goes poo. Now that was fine when she was a baby but now I have a almost 20lb dog thats fights it then she acts scared of me when we get done. Im worried about her sitting with poop on her so I wont stop cleaning her but I dont like her acting like Im killing her while I do it and scared of me after. I know so many are against cutting the tail but would this help at all? Here is a pic of her tail and it lays flat against her bum like that and she cant lift it.
lolas tail.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo's tail was an inverted corkscrew - her tail was twisted and growing back into her body, so she had a very deep tail pocket (3 Inches deep) we tried like hell to keep that area clean, but as hard as we tried (and as hard as she fought it) we failed and she was always getting an infection. Our Vet told us it was one of the worse tail cases he had scene in a very long time, they removed her tail, and did a 'butt lift' so that she no longer has a tail pocket.

She is MUCH Happier since the surgery, and she even wiggles that 'One Brown Eye' at us when she gets excited.

If you want to see the pictures post surgery... just reply or quote me or whatever to get my attention, and I'll dig it off of Flickr

A

Alaskasmom1

Oh, that poor baby. I bet both of you would be happier with that tail surgery.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] I would like to see this pics please!

I was wondering if they could do the tail surgery when we get her fixed but that is still 3 months away and she will be way bigger then!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I don't think you posted how old she was....If she is still young under a year old I think it might change and she will begin to lift her tail.....If she is over a year maybe not. The tail looks like a good size tail in length so I should think they wouldn't have to cut the whole tail off IMO...I would prefer you continue to wipe her and over time she should enjoy that...LOL so it would become just a small wipe. See how it goes for a couple of more months and if she still has problems speak with your vet (an experience one that deals in bullodogs) and see if they can take just the part that hangs over her butt.....Good Luck

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help on the idea of surgery but to make her like having her bootie wiped maybe give a cookie everytime you wipe? Cutty sometimes has a hershey kiss left that didnt fall so we do a bootie check after :poo: and if I do a bootie check he gets excited cuz he knows that I know he went potty which means a cookie. lol

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
@sweetpeasmom2008

Gizmo was a year when we had her done, they did her Spay and then a few months later they did her tail (Too much surgery at once for both my vet said)

Keep in mind, it is RADICAL Surgery - is not for 'convenience' or elective surgery -

Post tail surgery by Rettinger, on Flickr

the incision was about 8 inches long, and as you can see, her drain tubes in each side -

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you wait until she is over a year before thinking about it. Again, in Gizmo's case, her tail was an inverted Corkscrew, it wasnt getting poo on it, it was a deep pocket that was a bacteria/infection factory.

Keep us informed please :)

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Also remember the tail is part of the spine so be very sure this is what you want to do....As long as its not bothering him just get him used to being wiped till he learns to lift his little tail.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going to wait and see if it gets to a point where she will lift it and I will talk to the vat the next time go in and ask his opinion. She doesnt really have a butt pocket and Im thrilled for that!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] those pics are horrible! I for sure dont want to put her through that but in your case I can see why you did it! I will just wipe her and hope she gets more used to it or gets more feeling in her tail.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Ya I would try to avoid that surgery. Just seems like a risky surgery and I just hate the risks of anesthesia with our bullys. I have to wipe Gio after every time he goes #2. He is used to it by now and actually enjoys it, he is 2 and half years old. And every night I have to clean out his tail pocket that is about 2 inches deep, I use wipes called trizCHLOR 4 wipes, the same wipes I use for his wrinkles and he absolutely loves getting his pocket cleaned. The vet said we could get his tail (or I like to call it a cinnamon bun) amputated so we won't have to clean his pocket anymore, but I would just rather not risk a surgery and just clean him daily. Hopefully your girl will get used to getting cleaned after going potty, I agree with others, just use treats to make it enjoyable for her! Good luck! :D

Gio's "Cinnamon Bun"
photo-67.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.