Nuvet and Show Stopper

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hello :) Our breeder recommended Nuvet for an immune system booster and Show Stopper for shedding. I've been using the Nuvet everyday, but didn't know if Show Stopper would be too much to do along with the Nuvet. Tuni will be 13 weeks old tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with either product?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hello :) Our breeder recommended Nuvet for an immune system booster and Show Stopper for shedding. I've been using the Nuvet everyday, but didn't know if Show Stopper would be too much to do along with the Nuvet. Tuni will be 13 weeks old tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with either product?

I started using Nuvet just recently for immune system boosting. However, Herman was shedding a lot. I started giving coconut oil and wild salmon oil and his shedding has significantly decreased. I also brush him daily. So while I'm not familiar with Show Stopper, I dont think it's needed for shedding, specifically. Maybe the wild salmon oil (which is good for skin and coat) will be good.

Herman's coat is so soft now, he was on coconut oil the longest - but started super shedding week before last (he has mange). Since then I started the wild salmon oil. So I'm thinking the salmon oil may have done the trick. Nuvet came along after the shedding had stopped.

Ooooh, also, I learned that one reason for shedding is 'stress' in the body. Like stress to the pancreas (trying to process foods or something) can cause stress in the body which makes them shed more. So watching their diet and digestion may also help - I'm guessing Show Stopper contains probiotics / enzymes to help with this - which has other benefits than simply controlling shedding. I just really depends on what your dog needs.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I started using Nuvet just recently for immune system boosting. However, Herman was shedding a lot. I started giving coconut oil and wild salmon oil and his shedding has significantly decreased. I also brush him daily. So while I'm not familiar with Show Stopper, I dont think it's needed for shedding, specifically. Maybe the wild salmon oil (which is good for skin and coat) will be good.

Herman's coat is so soft now, he was on coconut oil the longest - but started super shedding week before last (he has mange). Since then I started the wild salmon oil. So I'm thinking the salmon oil may have done the trick. Nuvet came along after the shedding had stopped.

Ooooh, also, I learned that one reason for shedding is 'stress' in the body. Like stress to the pancreas (trying to process foods or something) can cause stress in the body which makes them shed more. So watching their diet and digestion may also help - I'm guessing Show Stopper contains probiotics / enzymes to help with this - which has other benefits than simply controlling shedding. I just really depends on what your dog needs.

How old is your Herman? He is just ador-a-BULL!!!!!!!! How do you like Nuvet so far? Tuni is doing really great on it. We have her on the powder formula for now, but I think for our next order I'm going to order the tablets. I believe the Show Stopper does have probiotics and enzymes, I also have read that too much....calcium? isn't good while they're growing. That was another worry, I don't want her to get too much of something. We feed her Fromm Puppy Gold.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
How old is your Herman? He is just ador-a-BULL!!!!!!!! How do you like Nuvet so far? Tuni is doing really great on it. We have her on the powder formula for now, but I think for our next order I'm going to order the tablets. I believe the Show Stopper does have probiotics and enzymes, I also have read that too much....calcium? isn't good while they're growing. That was another worry, I don't want her to get too much of something. We feed her Fromm Puppy Gold.

Herman is now 6 months. I put him on NuVet when he got mange and the NuVet folks told me to give him 2 per day for the first bottle. So he's only been on it maybe a week - I don't see much difference yet. He has the tablets and I guess I like it - he LOVES it for sure.

When I first got Herman, the breeder suggested 1 calcium tablet per day. And I did that for a while, until I ran out. I asked her how long to keep doing it and she said she keeps her dogs on it until they are 18 months. However, I stopped because I also read its not good to supplement calcium. Plus I was giving him yogurt (calcium) and cheese once in a while (more calcium) and I figured that was all the supplementation he needs. I asked the vet and he said that they will use what they need and get rid of the rest. So that made me worry a little less.

Herman eats Earthborn Great Plains Feast. And the food will definitely make a difference!

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Herman is now 6 months. I put him on NuVet when he got mange and the NuVet folks told me to give him 2 per day for the first bottle. So he's only been on it maybe a week - I don't see much difference yet. He has the tablets and I guess I like it - he LOVES it for sure.

When I first got Herman, the breeder suggested 1 calcium tablet per day. And I did that for a while, until I ran out. I asked her how long to keep doing it and she said she keeps her dogs on it until they are 18 months. However, I stopped because I also read its not good to supplement calcium. Plus I was giving him yogurt (calcium) and cheese once in a while (more calcium) and I figured that was all the supplementation he needs. I asked the vet and he said that they will use what they need and get rid of the rest. So that made me worry a little less.

Herman eats Earthborn Great Plains Feast. And the food will definitely make a difference!

What do you think brought on Herman's mange? That's one thing I'm worried about, it seems pretty common in this breed.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
yeah, it's common in puppies.

Herman had been getting all his puppy vaccinations from June through August, just about every 3 weeks. Then at some point he got an infection on a cut and had antibiotics. So I think just being young and the vaccinations and then the antibiotics is what caused it. Just keep checking Tuni for small patches of hair loss, most times it should go away on it's own, but when too much stuff is going on, their little immune systems get weak and can't handle it and the mites take advantage. Giving Tuni the Nuvet and good food should help.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.