Slow Feed Bowl Recommendations

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I thought Linus was the biggest pig I have ever seen eat. He literally snorts like a pig in anticipation of his food. Then Truman came along and the speed of his eating puts Linus to shame.

I know this is not good for him and can cause major problems, like bloat, so I was wondering how many use slow feed bowls (or puzzle feeders) and if you might recommend a specific kind? I have seen a few options but, given the bulldog's unique snout, I am guessing some work better than others. I have zero experience with them.

Thanks!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Never heard of these before! Mandy needs one!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I bought a ball that goes in the dish and it slows them down. The ball is very heavy and takes up a lot of room in bowl....the dog has to maneuver around it to eat. It has really helped alot in slowing down Bertie.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I just finished talking about these on another post. I use the first one Libra uses. It is harder for their smushy faces, but the only one that works for Bella. We first bought the SS one with just a hump in the middle. (I prefer SS to plastic) however it is designed for the dry food to move (slide) around the hump and the dog has to move with it. By the time Bella's enzymes are incubated, the food is real moist and sticky, thus not sliding around the hump. It works real good for my Grand-dog and his dry food.

[MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] I think the ball would do the same, however I love that idea, that way you can use any bowl you already have. As my Grand-dog gets bigger and grows out of Bella's hand-me down, I will suggest it.

The one I do use is harder for her, but she can do it and that is all that matters. The slower the better for her. And please remember she isn't the average size bully, so that may help with the use of this one too.

Now I heard that the fast eating could cause her stomach to "flip" this was from another Bully momma. I am not sure if that is true, but she had to slow down regardless.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I Love this topic!! We've never used anything but was going to ask the exact same question [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION]! Because Faith is a Monster Vacum!! She literally swollows her food in a second, its crazyy!! We have to watch her cuz once she's done with her food she'll go and eat Chelios's! :/ It's bad && I really want and need to get her something to control her eating.. Where can I find one of those balls for her bowl [MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION]? Maybe Petsmart? Hmm..

Last edited by a moderator:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
What a good idea! Both the ball and the special bowls. Ida sucks her food down, Gertie takes her time. Sometimes I've seen Gertie hurry thru her food too, tho, so Ida doesn't get it.

Knuckles73

Jun 8, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
We've had one of these bowls for Oscar for awhile now. I found his on ebay...its plasic so you gota make sure you wash it often, but it has 3 little "walls" that come out from sides to divide the bowl. It has slowed Oscar way down and he no longer gets upset tummy from eating too fast. If your bully is "grown or close" get one size up with the brand I got so their head can actually fit and allow them to get to their food. Oscar get 3 cups per day but the bowl could hold 5-6 cups. But anything smaller he couldnt get his fat head in...

Last edited:

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I'm deffinatly going to have to look into one of these magical bowls! Faith sucked up her food in less then 30 seconds!! A whole cup and 1/2 && what happened.. That little girl threw it up a few minitues later when I took her to go pee. :/

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm deffinatly going to have to look into one of these magical bowls! Faith sucked up her food in less then 30 seconds!! A whole cup and 1/2 && what happened.. That little girl threw it up a few minitues later when I took her to go pee. :/

Oh wow, it sounds like Faith could really use one of those, especially if she's eating so fast it's making her sick!

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Oh wow, it sounds like Faith could really use one of those, especially if she's eating so fast it's making her sick!

Haha yes ma'am she deffenatly needs one. Some days she gets sick other days she gets all bigg && bloated. :/ I'm going to go to Petsmart after work. See if I can find anything. That little girl acts as tho she hasn't eaten in WEEKSS! lol She's my Little piggy! <o Always in the kitchen licken the floor for any crumbs! :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.