Advice on bullies and babies...

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
My husband and I are thinking about starting a family. But I'm feeling a little anxious about how Einstein fits into everything. I don't want him to go to the wayside like I've seen happen in other families. He gets all of our attention now and I don't want to feel left out.

Einstein also hasn't really been around a lot of kids. My nieces come over time to time and Einstein loves them. But almost too much where he is all over them. But they don't come over often enough for him to get used to it. He's never been around a baby. Does anybody have any tips on how to prepare Einstein for a little brother or sister. And how to incorporate him into the whole process.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no real advice, I can only tell that it can be done. A friend of mine just had a baby a year ago and they also have about 4 years old bullie. They've been so good together. That bullie had not been around babies eather before this, but now he is so gentle with the baby. I love seeing the pics where they are together. I'm sure that somebody wiil have some real advice later, but it can be done!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My husband and I are thinking about starting a family. But I'm feeling a little anxious about how Einstein fits into everything. I don't want him to go to the wayside like I've seen happen in other families. He gets all of our attention now and I don't want to feel left out.

Einstein also hasn't really been around a lot of kids. My nieces come over time to time and Einstein loves them. But almost too much where he is all over them. But they don't come over often enough for him to get used to it. He's never been around a baby. Does anybody have any tips on how to prepare Einstein for a little brother or sister. And how to incorporate him into the whole process.

Dont sweat it. Bullies are naturally great with kids. Only thing you need to be careful of is how clumsy they can be with a tiny one. We kept the pups off the couch while we had the baby on there with us. Dont separate them, let the bully smell and get to know the baby from day 1, they wont feel left out if they are included in the mix. I let em lick toes etc. When at the hospital they say to bring the blanket from the baby home for the pup to get used to although we forgot with both babies. lol We stressed over all this too and funny, it all works out just fine. Pups are pack animals so they adapt to the expansion well so long as they still get the loving they need. ;)

LittleTino

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Atlas
No advice yet, but my wife is due in January and Atlas will be 1.5yr. We are doubling down on bulldogs by getting him a sister who arrives on Thursday. Hopefully they keep each other entertained while we spend less time with the dogs and more with the baby. I doubt this is a recommended approach and many think we're nuts. But like your bully, Atlas gets all our attention now and we just want to make sure that he has someone to play with when we can't.

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
[MENTION=3846]LittleTino[/MENTION] I think thats a grand idea. Maybe I can use that logic with my husband. Ha yeah right!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] thats what ive heard. Einstein is such a loving dog so i dont worry about him hurting anyone on purpose but clumsy is a good word for him. He doesnt realize how big he is! Good this makes me feel a lot better! I'm such a worrier!

I am signing Einstein up for a refresher dog obedience class in October. I think the thing I worry about most is how he'll act when people come over. Because he LOVES visitors and we haven't been very good about correcting his bad "greeting" habits. Which is all our fault not his. Would it be confusing if we let him up on the couch all of the time except for when there's a baby or a guest on the couch?

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] thank you! I feel better. I found a book I'm going to read too. About playing baby sounds and putting out all the babies toys before the baby is born that way the dog can get desensitized to all the new sights and smells.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=3846]LittleTino[/MENTION] I think thats a grand idea. Maybe I can use that logic with my husband. Ha yeah right!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] thats what ive heard. Einstein is such a loving dog so i dont worry about him hurting anyone on purpose but clumsy is a good word for him. He doesnt realize how big he is! Good this makes me feel a lot better! I'm such a worrier!

I am signing Einstein up for a refresher dog obedience class in October. I think the thing I worry about most is how he'll act when people come over. Because he LOVES visitors and we haven't been very good about correcting his bad "greeting" habits. Which is all our fault not his. Would it be confusing if we let him up on the couch all of the time except for when there's a baby or a guest on the couch?
Well mine aren't known for the best greeters either. Lol also what I did with my first baby was get a pack n play and set up her little baby toy (that she laid under with the lights on top) for her to play safely in there. I didn't trust the boys yet being my first but with my 2nd I hardly used the playpen.

M

mabel lou

Get a baby doll that makes the noises of a real baby and let him see you with the baby and slowly introduce him and I agree about having all the baby toys around so he knows that something is different.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
@LittleTino I think thats a grand idea. Maybe I can use that logic with my husband. Ha yeah right! I think it's a great idea too but maybe an older pup or adult so you won't have to do the whole beginning training thing while preggers - unless you do the puppy first and then get pregnant when it's trained.

@cali~jenn thats what ive heard. Einstein is such a loving dog so i dont worry about him hurting anyone on purpose but clumsy is a good word for him. He doesnt realize how big he is! Good this makes me feel a lot better! I'm such a worrier!

Get a baby gate to keep him away from the door if necessary. Gate him into a room that will let him see what's going on but not able to interact with folks until he settles down. If you can't do that and don't want to put him in his crate while folks are settling in, put him on a leash when you know folks are about to arrive and hold him back and allow you to control him. This is a bulldog. some ties they choose not to learn what you're trying to teach them - like not jumping on folks or not pulling on the leash.

Oh - and remember the hospital will not allow him to be present at the birth regardless of how you feel about it.
;) :crying::pray::pray:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I can tell you that my 2 oldest grandkids (now almost 17 & 18) learned to crawl and walk with the "help" of my Bulldogs. The Bulldogs shared their crates and toys with the kids and the kids shared their blankies and toys with the Bulldogs! Bulldogs somehow sense that babies are fragile and are so gentle with them!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.