Just SCOLDED by Breeder for feeding puppy Grain-Free Fromm!!

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hi all,

So I am pretty upset. I called my breeder to ask her what I should do because my vet said my bulldog, Brembo, should have the nostril surgery to open up his pathways. After telling me that he SHOULD NOT get the surgery unless he's having trouble breathing (which he's not), I proceeded to ask her when I should switch to feeding twice a day from three times, as Brembo just turned 6 months.

Anyway, I told her I was a little worried because Brembo seems a little long and 'gangly' (he's 6 months) so I asked her if it was part of his developmental process. She asked me what I was feeding, and when she discovered I was feeding him Grain Free, she flipped. Now in reality, I usually feed him Grain in the morning (Fromm Pork and Applesauce) and/or afternoon, and non grain (Fromm Beef Frittata) at night.

First thing that bothered me: She had never heard of Fromm.
Second thing that bothered me: She recommended using full grain Royal Canin instead (ranked in category #3 on this website).

She was under the assumptions that grain-free means NO CARBOHYDRATES, which I later researched and discovered was not true. In fact, grain free usually just does not include corn, soy, and white rice, but DOES include Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Barley, Brown Rice, Vegetables and Fruits!!!

She was telling me that her dogs need carbs so they can bulk up; once they bulk up they have an easier time 'filling in' when they get to that devleopmental stage. I told her Brembo weighs almost 40lbs at 6 months, and she told me he was too skinny (his sister, born on same date and being raised by her, weighs 45lbs).

The problem: Most of her dogs are Champions and show dogs (as thats what attracted me to them), and are literally perfect looking dogs that live 10-12 years and do not exhibit any hip, skin, or breathing problems. For this reason I feel as if her suggestions merit at least some consideration.

You can take a look at her website.
. Brembo was sired by LUMPY, who is a gorgeous red EB and can be seen on their site.
I sent her some pics (below) and she wrote me a short and rude note back telling me that he looks like a dog that was not fed right.

It's been a huge blow to my ego as I have taken careful preparation to ensure i am giving Brembo the very best nutrition so he goes through a normal growth process and I don't leave any health/allergy problems to chance.

Would anyone care to either comment, or reassure me that Brembo will start to fill out to a normal English Bulldog size after 9-10months. I know full growth can take 2-3 years so I'm not sure if I should be taking her comments to heart.

Thanks so much!!

Brembo between 17-27 weeks:

Randy Savage by AJW imaging, on Flickr

AJW-Brembo-27wk-lauraholding-small by AJW imaging, on Flickr

AJW-Brembo-27wk-grasslaydown-small by AJW imaging, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I think he looks great Franklin looks just like that an he's 5 months an 40 - 42 lbs. Some breeders are stuck in their ways an don't want to learn anything new if you are giving him great food that's why he's a little leaner than the ones eating just corn he shouldn't be to big to fast that's when there hips an muscles go bad I wouldn't change a thing.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
All I can tell you..is most breeders feed crappy food. And so does she if she recommends Royal Canin. It's not just this website that gives it a bad rating. Check out Dog Food Advisir. She is telling you the opposite of what I was old by my vet..as far as growth rates and bulldogs. Glad she's been lucky to have champions..if that's what you wanted. But I don't think I'd give 2 cents for any advice from her.

A

Alaskasmom1

I had a breeder to tell me that she fed her puppies Iams because she couldn't buy Taste Of The Wild for all her dogs! Your dog is beautiful and healthy looking to me! Good job! I think the breeder was maybe having a bad day?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I had a breeder to tell me that she fed her puppies Iams because she couldn't buy Taste Of The Wild for all her dogs! Your dog is beautiful and healthy looking to me! Good job! I think the breeder was maybe having a bad day?

I think you are a very kind and generous soul! I'd have told that breeder where to go! :cursing:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I think you are a horrible horrible person and you'll just have to drop that puppy off at my house for some proper nutrition.. .LOTS of Snacks, lots of play time ha ha ha ha *ONLY KIDDING*

You are FINE, your puppy is FINE, dont sweat the small stuff... if he is healthy..then so be it ! if your vet recommended the nose work, get a second opinion, if the 2nd disagrees with the 1st, then get a 3rd opinion.

you ARE doing the right thing (as far as we can tell) :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
While Wilson's breeder doesn't have show dogs she fed Science Diet and her huband is a vet. I think it's great that your breeder has show dogs and beautiful bullies I'm sure but as far as her flipping on you I find that incredibly rude. I'll be the first to say I don't have a clue about show arena, but Royal Canine is in most vets office for the same reason Science Diet is, perks are given by the manufactuer and well in my opinion both those foods are an all around food that all dogs can have.

I'd be giving my breeder a piece of my mind. You're doing great!!!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
:butterfly: I think he looks great Franklin looks just like that an he's 5 months an 40 - 42 lbs. Some breeders are stuck in their ways an don't want to learn anything new if you are giving him great food that's why he's a little leaner than the ones eating just corn he shouldn't be to big to fast that's when there hips an muscles go bad I wouldn't change a thing.

He seemed to be of average size and weight...the only reason I asked is because he's a little 'gangly' still but I researched and found that this was the case.

Also, as their dogs have predominantly English bloodlines, they tend to develop at a slower rate.

All I can tell you..is most breeders feed crappy food. And so does she if she recommends Royal Canin. It's not just this website that gives it a bad rating. Check out Dog Food Advisir. She is telling you the opposite of what I was old by my vet..as far as growth rates and bulldogs. Glad she's been lucky to have champions..if that's what you wanted. But I don't think I'd give 2 cents for any advice from her.

My girlfriend's words pretty much exactly. I'll check out Dog Food Advisir. But indeed, because they've had champions and their dogs are doing fine, I have difficulty waving off her advice.

Oh my god!! Sounds terrible! She may be just a bit grumpy in general; for her to tell me that my dog looks like one that wasn't fed right was VERY painful to hear. She also said that if I am not going to follow her instructions, I cannot be blamed when he doesn't grow up to look like her dogs.

I mean come on!! Help me out, don't just bash me..

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
I think you are a horrible horrible person and you'll just have to drop that puppy off at my house for some proper nutrition.. .LOTS of Snacks, lots of play time ha ha ha ha *ONLY KIDDING*

You are FINE, your puppy is FINE, dont sweat the small stuff... if he is healthy..then so be it ! if your vet recommended the nose work, get a second opinion, if the 2nd disagrees with the 1st, then get a 3rd opinion.

you ARE doing the right thing (as far as we can tell) :)

Haha, he'll be right over...for a play date!

I try not to sweat the small stuff, but every now and then I get waves of 'what ifs' and her scolding does NOT help.

While Wilson's breeder doesn't have show dogs she fed Science Diet and her huband is a vet. I think it's great that your breeder has show dogs and beautiful bullies I'm sure but as far as her flipping on you I find that incredibly rude. I'll be the first to say I don't have a clue about show arena, but Royal Canine is in most vets office for the same reason Science Diet is, perks are given by the manufactuer and well in my opinion both those foods are an all around food that all dogs can have.

I'd be giving my breeder a piece of my mind. You're doing great!!!

Yeah, I knew when she was giving her puppies Eukanuba that she was just getting the discounted food. Brembo had bad gas with that food and the second I switched him, he improved.

I almost can't fault her, as she's always fed her dogs Royal Canin and they've turned out great - so why would she recommend anything different? She's never had a problem with her food, she's never been on this forum, and she's never done research about 'grain free' or 'high-quality' food and why it's different from what she uses.

I can almost accept her ignorance, but it's tough to swallow the judgmental and accusatory nature of her most recent comments.

Brembo has no gas, PERFECT stools, a very shiny coat, and is of average weight. I don't see the problem.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would have told her where to go! You show a lot of self control! More than I have! I think he looks great and is the perfect size, as the puppies grow older they do look thinner but the second year they fill out. I would say listen to your gut and do what you think is best for your little guy.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm sure experts will chime in here about growth, but I don't think she needed to be rude to you like that!

I'm sure you did your research to find out what is best for Brembo - and obviously you have more information that she does! You should continue to do what you think is best for him to keep him healthy first and foremost! And keep doing your research and getting the opinions of others and your vet. I wouldn't have much confidence in a breeder if she didn't have her facts straight because obviously you are giving him the grain in the morning, right????? Just my opinion.

I just wonder if she would have made the comments about your dog's looks if you had not told her about the switch to Fromm???

Brembo is beautiful!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman

My vet called them "rituals" LOL Which I can understand. I'd probably have my rituals too, but I wouldn't be plain rude.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I personally think Brembo looks awesome for his age, they all go through a 'gangly' stage, some more than others, don't sweat it. Brembo looks amazing compared to Pookie, whom for a while looked exactly like a boxer puppy! When I got him he was being fed RC too. He was soooo fat. And roly poly. His name from the breeder was FAT BOY!

Fromm is more LEAN and BETTER for your dog!!! BETTER for his health.... number one thing, all the rest of that stuff is FLUFF! It will fill in eventually. I think what she is talking about is FAT. Your puppy does not need carbs (aka fat) to grow! That is nonsense. They need protein, vitamins, and minerals!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Haha, he'll be right over...for a play date!

I almost can't fault her, as she's always fed her dogs Royal Canin and they've turned out great - so why would she recommend anything different? She's never had a problem with her food, she's never been on this forum, and she's never done research about 'grain free' or 'high-quality' food and why it's different from what she uses.

Brembo has no gas, PERFECT stools, a very shiny coat, and is of average weight. I don't see the problem.

I have a hard time believing that NONE of the dogs that she's bread has had any problems. It is not just EB's that can have problems, but all pedigree dogs and to say that all have been perfect is just nonsence. The best of breeders do not have litters full of show dogs. If she says that it's then your fault that if your's doesn't grow to be like all hers then she is just making sure that again she is the the only one in the world who knows how to breed only perfect dogs.
And you're doing perfect, Brembo looks perfect, don't question yourself.
I know it's hard to go against somebodys, who is supposed to an expert, recommendations and made feel guilty about it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online