Antlers recommendations

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I know that some of you recommend antlers for your babies. I'm not familiar with them - do they last long and where do you recommend I get them? And are they messy?

I got Herman a himalayan dog chew which he loves, but it's a little messy and because it gets wet, he will sometimes get little pimples on his chin when he eats it. Some other things I've tried like those Zukes Z-bones smell disgusting and he could barely tolerate them either LOL

But I need something for him to chew so he'll stop chewing my chair and my foot.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Antlers are not messy at all and tend to last a while. I order mine from Carolina Pet Pantry I know there's a code EBN511 you can put in when ordering. I get the XL for my boys.

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Just DO NOT buy the 'split' antlers... they ARE messy and leave sharp edges - as long as they arent split in half they are fine. Antlerchews dot com is one site I'm going to do my next order from... they seem very reasonable.

And Last ! Very long time ! Gizmo is a megga chewer. You also want to remember there are 'different' flavors - from Elk to Deer to Moose Antlers

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Elk, deer, moose - oh my! I guess I'll have to try one of each to see which one he likes :cry: When I initially heard about it, I saw the deer antlers. Does any flavor resist cracking and chipping better?

I'm sure glad to hear they aren't messy.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I recommend the Elk :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks everyone, I will check out elk at all three places you recommended :)

How long can they remained stored? Do they lose "freshness" if it takes him forever to eat one. I would buy a couple, but I dont want them to get stale (?) or dried out or brittle or whatever.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks everyone, I will check out elk at all three places you recommended :)

How long can they remained stored? Do they lose "freshness" if it takes him forever to eat one. I would buy a couple, but I dont want them to get stale (?) or dried out or brittle or whatever.

We've had them last as long as 7 months..and then I just threw it away because it got a bit small. As long as they aren't brittle they should be fine!

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
Daizy finished a large antler in 2 weeks!!! Apparently she holds the record...lol. Daizy and Duke get safety cut hooves, they cost $.99 and last quite a long time. Tried the filled hooves but it ripped Daizy's face apart

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We get the deer, Banks seems to have a real liking to them... Elk she did not seem to like as much and Moose I have not tried yet. There is a good site that a friend of mine order from that has three Italian Mastiffs (Cane Corso) .... grateful shed.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think what I'll do is get a deer and elk antler and see which one he likes best.

Maybe the elk are more robust than the deer? LOL Who knows.

I haven't looked into hooves yet. I get too worried about those pimples coming under his chin, but he does need something to chew. So that is another option :blink:

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
As an FYI the grateful shed aka antlerchews dot com site says it's not taking any new customers at the moment.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
, but he does need something to chew. So that is another option :blink:

Frozen marrow bones from the grocery stores.... I get them near the meat section in the freezer. Then after they eat the marrow, I stuff them with peanut butter, cream cheese or yogurt and freeze them. They get a bone once sometimes twice a month that is fill ... when empty they are in with their toys after being washed.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Frozen marrow bones from the grocery stores.... I get them near the meat section in the freezer. Then after they eat the marrow, I stuff them with peanut butter, cream cheese or yogurt and freeze them. They get a bone once sometimes twice a month that is fill ... when empty they are in with their toys after being washed.

Ok that is something I can check for today in the store. I have never seen them (but I've never looked for them either LOL) and he loves peanut butter, yogurt and as I just discovered - cream cheese. thanks for the idea!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok that is something I can check for today in the store. I have never seen them (but I've never looked for them either LOL) and he loves peanut butter, yogurt and as I just discovered - cream cheese. thanks for the idea!

if you can not find them just ask someone in the meat department. I always have them cut down to the size I like for the pups about 4 or 5 inches in length

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.