Suggestions anybody .....????

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Linus will eat anything and everything that has not got a pulse .... and that's the problem. A few days ago he vomited three times ... the contents of which included blanket, twigs, and a half eaten mouse (don't ask!!)

He still goes in his crate overnight and when we have to leave the house. Everything was fine, until we realised he was eating his bedding. Didn't matter what type of bedding it was ... old towels, fluffy blankets, non-fluffy blankets, quilts. You name it, and he ate it. Yep ATE ... not chewed up but literally ATE it.

So we took out the blankets and I just felt like the worst Bully Mummy in the world leaving him no bedding but after he had vomited up large parts of blanket then this was the only way forward.

So then he started to eat the black plastic liner that goes in the crate at the bottom. YEP ... actually ate black shards of plastic. Luckily he threw them up too.

So out came the black plastic liner ... or what was left of it.

THEN .... he starts to scrape up, lick and attempt to eat the wooden flooring in the laundry room that his crate is in.

So we buy a BIGGER crate liner and put that on the floor and sit his crate on top.

Ah hah ... nothing left to eat! Or at least I haven't discovered any evidence as yet.

The problem is that I simply HATE putting him in his crate when he only has those wires at the bottom to lie on .....:cry:

We've attempted to leave him out of his crate and he eats the furniture, doors, the walls ... oh yes that's a particular delicacy for him ... walls, and he also likes to eat my accent chair in the family room. :cursing:

We can't put his stuffies in the crate with him because he eats him.

He has a very limited interest in nylabones or other hard toys for some reasons, and they have proven to not really be any distraction at all.

HELP .......??? :*(

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm... to be honest I think he'd try and eat the carpet in between the crate wires ... oh and did I mention that he will still sometimes pee in his crate ....

Maybe I'll get a towel between the crate and liner. He will still be able to feel the bars but hopefully not as much, and a towel will be washable!! :up:

Thanks [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] and yes, [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] maybe he has. OR maybe that shot of Jake near your computer was him sending emails to Linus giving him suggestions ..... :blink:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hmmm... to be honest I think he'd try and eat the carpet in between the crate wires ... oh and did I mention that he will still sometimes pee in his crate ....

Maybe I'll get a towel between the crate and liner. He will still be able to feel the bars but hopefully not as much, and a towel will be washable!! :up:

Thanks @Lucy-licious and yes, @JAKEISGREAT maybe he has. OR maybe that shot of Jake near your computer was him sending emails to Linus giving him suggestions ..... :blink:

:shhhh: I think Jake was taste testing it! :cursing:

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
@kazzy220 This may be something to think about. For my horse stalls, I buy this special rubber type matting. This stuff is made to take wear and tear from hooves, metal shoes, and 1200 pound horses! You can buy it by the square (which is about the size of a large crate) and it is a bit pricey but it stands up to 3 horses in my barn. I have never had to replace a square yet and the horses will even paw at it with shoes on. I wonder if would work as long as he could not get to an edge of it to gnaw on?

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sounds like he just gets bored and needs an outlet for his energy. I get raw marrow bones for my guy. He wears himself out chewing them and they are much more durable than nylabones. He loves them and I don't worry about him breaking off pieces and choking. Have you tried these ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Marrow bone or kong stuffed with PB

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
No suggestions, but so blessed that Vegas is a lover and not a shredder!! That has to suck and I would feel bad too.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Oh I wouldnt' know how to address this one. Dublin only eats food. Mind you, if permitted she would eat food all day and all night...... She loves a good Nylabone but not big on other toys. Have left her out of her crate for long time and she has never touched a thing... It reminds me of my two kids. The oldest when he was little was a terror opening and emptying anything he could. We had locks on everything. My second one never touched a thing. Kept all of my Waterford glass out and my friends would be in awe when they came over. Hard one to figure out. Good luck.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I wonder if this is just a phase Linus is going through? I recall last year when Tate and Finn ate base boards, my sofa, box spring and matress...but all that has subsided (to an extent), now.

No helpful suggestions to you except the usual things like making sure he has a lot of chew toys around, rotate old toys in/out so he doesn't get bored, make sure he gets his regular exercise daily. Good luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Well, mine is just the opposite, or was, didn't even eat his food. Miraculously he is cured now and eats all his food with a good appetite. So what I was thinking that maybe what cured Usko could cure Linus. Could it be that it's the same thing, but the dogs just react to it differently??? So this is what helped us. And before this was suggested to me I would of never believed it would help, but now he eats like never before. It is also supposed to get rid of any yeast problems.

Once a day with meal
1/2 teaspoon of Holistic Health - Bio Health prebiotics
1 teaspoon of Holistic Health - lacto Health probiotics
2 slippery elms
3 Dorwest Garlic and Fenugreek tablets

Other than this I can't think of anything that could help, but i think that it would be better to find the reason why he's doing it and try to cure that.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Wow Layla is the exact same. She has shredded and eaten every single bed I buy her. I need to keep the dogs crated during the day still - at 1 yr 3 months - because Layla will literally eat everything. Table and chair legs, rugs, carpets, throw pillows, papers, baseball hats, and her bedding is no exception. I have learned that anything stuffed or cushy or foam or orthopedic is out of the question. Her brother gets a deluxe orthopedic mat in his crate, and she has a thin crate mat I found at Petsmart. It isn't foam, or stuffed - it is just a thin layer between her and the crate floor. She has slightly chewed the corner, but I have never come home to a massive foam/stuffing explosion. That mat has outlasted anything else for her. I don't know what it is... she is just ...bored. Wilbur will sleep but she is go-go-go. She has nylabones, and I leave one in the crate for her, but she doesn't seem interested.
Good luck - check pet stores for the flat crate mat (not a "bed"). I am not saying it is super comfy, but at least he wouldn't be on the wires! I feel for you!!! :)

PS what if you also sprayed the corners with bitter apple spray, the stuff that is a chew deterrent? I sprayed my furniture legs with that stuff.....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online