Need advice...

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My oldest daughter is moving out of her house and doesn't want to move back home, something about needing privacy :hmm:. Anyway, until she finds a permanent place I think she's planning on just staying with different friends here and there. She has a new little kitty cat that she wants to bring here until she finds some place to live so she can have him back home.

My concern is my boys have never been around cats and I don't know how they are going to react to having one live in their house. I don't want them to hurt him but I don't know how I can introduce them to each other. I haven't had cats in years so I'm a little rusty and I've never had bulldogs and cats together, only a westie and labs. I'm sure I'm going to be crating the boys to calm them down or they will have heart attacks if the kitty hides behind things and they can't get to him periodically.

Any help from my "extended family" would be really appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no advice here.... Banks does not like cats and just wants to eat them and Cheli sees them as a toy which the cat is not found of. Nitschke was TERRIFIED of cats... always ran (yes, ran) the other way

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have no advice here.... Banks does not like cats and just wants to eat them and Cheli sees them as a toy which the cat is not found of. Nitschke was TERRIFIED of cats... always ran (yes, ran) the other way

well, you're no help :p! We used to have ferrets and when we would let the ferrets out Sebastian and Oliver would treat them like squeaky toys too!!! I'm sure it didn't help that the ferrets kind of looked like some of their toys. I'm hoping that since everyone, including the kitten, is still a baby, eventually they'll calm down and live in harmony. Remy is only 10.5 months old and the other two are 18.5 months old and the kitten is around 2-3 months.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hummm, that ought to be a fun time. It may go better than you think, but then again........ Coarse you could keep the cat in a room by itself and it should be fine, cat's like to stay by themselves anyway.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
well, you're no help :p! We used to have ferrets and when we would let the ferrets out Sebastian and Oliver would treat them like squeaky toys too!!! I'm sure it didn't help that the ferrets kind of looked like some of their toys. I'm hoping that since everyone, including the kitten, is still a baby, eventually they'll calm down and live in harmony. Remy is only 10.5 months old and the other two are 18.5 months old and the kitten is around 2-3 months.

:hmm: all babies... you have a good chance they will be ok

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I have Jenna who is 3 and has livd with me about 4 months....we also have stripe a 5-6 yr old Tom cat...he's in and out...he has days where he walks right by Jenna...other days he's being a paranoid cat...jenna at first would chase him anytime she could...now not so much every now by no means do they cuddle but are learning to tolerate each other...

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:hmm: all babies... you have a good chance they will be ok

I'm hoping that the kitten comes in here with attitude and kicks all their :spank:!!!

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the mid
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
If it was an adult cat, I would worry more about your bullies, haha. I'm not even joking. If I had a cat, I would much more worry about the cat hurting Lola, than the other way around. :) Cats just kinda know how to take care of themselves ... Dogs ... not so much. :)

With a kitten it's probably a bit different, though ...

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We cant help either...HRH thinks cats are something to be ignored, judging by her reaction to the ones she has seen at Petsmart. And I'm allergic to cat dander, so she won't ever be ignoring one at home.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We cant help either...HRH thinks cats are something to be ignored, judging by her reaction to the ones she has seen at Petsmart. And I'm allergic to cat dander, so she won't ever be ignoring one at home.

yeah well I didn't expect to ever having another one in my house either, but my daughter doesn't want to give him up. I'm hoping that after a couple of days of frantic kitten chasing things will calm down. My daughter says he wants to play all the time, so hopefully the dogs will play with him and not try to eat him!

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Pan came nose to nose to a kitten once and when it hissed at him he jumped straight back... It was the funniest thing ever. He never tried to get it though... But he typically has a live let live attitude.

Good luck, hopefully the can all coexist in harmony.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:D

Im hereeeeeeee! Boy..have I introduced dogs to cats! :laugh: I've mostly already had the cats..and brought in the full grown dogs who really wanted to eat my cats! What worked then was keeping dogs on a leash and letting cat just be themselves. Didn't take too long and the cats all lived!

Now...in your case..I would first let cat be in one room. Let him/her feel comfortable behind closed doors. The dogs can smell him/her through the door and believe me..they will. Little by little I'd bring the cat out and hold him/her on my lap. Let dogs approach and gently smell. Put cat back in safe room and repeat as necessary. When you feel the cat is ready to explore the house..keep dogs under control and just let the cat be. if one of the dogs acts aggressive..correct their behavior. Little steps will be best. Being there are three of them don't let them feed off each others excitement. I brought Harry in and Jake was amazing with him. They are truly best buddies! Don't be afraid...they will be curious but soon it will be b.o.r.i.n.g..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:D

Im hereeeeeeee! Boy..have I introduced dogs to cats! :laugh: I've mostly already had the cats..and brought in the full grown dogs who really wanted to eat my cats! What worked then was keeping dogs on a leash and letting cat just be themselves. Didn't take too long and the cats all lived!

Now...in your case..I would first let cat be in one room. Let him/her feel comfortable behind closed doors. The dogs can smell him/her through the door and believe me..they will. Little by little I'd bring the cat out and hold him/her on my lap. Let dogs approach and gently smell. Put cat back in safe room and repeat as necessary. When you feel the cat is ready to explore the house..keep dogs under control and just let the cat be. if one of the dogs acts aggressive..correct their behavior. Little steps will be best. Being there are three of them don't let them feed off each others excitement. I brought Harry in and Jake was amazing with him. They are truly best buddies! Don't be afraid...they will be curious but soon it will be b.o.r.i.n.g..

I like this idea , great advise Ms. Becky :clap2:

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks, Becky! Our family room has a door on it and I was already planning on putting his litter box in the laundry room which is right off the family room. The only bad thing about closing him off in the family room is my "office" is in there and that's where I do my school work and all three of the boys have to be in there with me. I suppose when I go into the family room, I can put the kitty into the laundry room and shut the door and then let him back out when the boys leave the room. If I try to shut the family room door without the boys going in there with me Sebastian and Oliver will bark, scratch, and cry at the door until they can come in with me. Such spoiled boys!!! Remy could care less sometimes. I'm hoping that I can introduce him to the kitten first since it sounds like they have the same kind of energy then Remy can "teach" the other heathens how to behave with him. I just realized, I don't even know kitty's name!!! Bad kitty grammy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.