Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need advice...

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post

Im hereeeeeeee! Boy..have I introduced dogs to cats! I've mostly already had the cats..and brought in the full grown dogs who really wanted to eat my cats! What worked then was keeping dogs on a leash and letting cat just be themselves. Didn't take too long and the cats all lived!

Now...in your case..I would first let cat be in one room. Let him/her feel comfortable behind closed doors. The dogs can smell him/her through the door and believe me..they will. Little by little I'd bring the cat out and hold him/her on my lap. Let dogs approach and gently smell. Put cat back in safe room and repeat as necessary. When you feel the cat is ready to explore the house..keep dogs under control and just let the cat be. if one of the dogs acts aggressive..correct their behavior. Little steps will be best. Being there are three of them don't let them feed off each others excitement. I brought Harry in and Jake was amazing with him. They are truly best buddies! Don't be afraid...they will be curious but soon it will be b.o.r.i.n.g..
    I like this idea , great advise Ms. Becky
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need advice...

thanks, Becky! Our family room has a door on it and I was already planning on putting his litter box in the laundry room which is right off the family room. The only bad thing about closing him off in the family room is my "office" is in there and that's where I do my school work and all three of the boys have to be in there with me. I suppose when I go into the family room, I can put the kitty into the laundry room and shut the door and then let him back out when the boys leave the room. If I try to shut the family room door without the boys going in there with me Sebastian and Oliver will bark, scratch, and cry at the door until they can come in with me. Such spoiled boys!!! Remy could care less sometimes. I'm hoping that I can introduce him to the kitten first since it sounds like they have the same kind of energy then Remy can "teach" the other heathens how to behave with him. I just realized, I don't even know kitty's name!!! Bad kitty grammy!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads