JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson is generally crated during the day when I'm at work - he's 18 months now. Jack our non bully is free to roam wherever he wants, including outside via the doggie door and Emma is crated as she just too young to roam free that long yet.

Recently, like the last two weeks, Wilson has been rebelling against being crated in the morning when it's time for me to leave. He used to be so good and would just go in by himself. But now I have to literally push him in, and most the time he stops right in front of the crate stiff legged and when I try to get him in, his back end goes up in the air because he's resisting. Snacks do not help get him in.

What he wants is to simply be out and sleep on his doggie bed where he usually can be found having a morning slumber. I have no problem leaving him out and I do at least once during the week but I usually crate Jack next to Emm. I'm going to try leaving them both out and I'll have to start closing the doggie door to keep Wilson inside. I feel bad when I check in on him and he's just :pouting:.

This is what he does for an hour or so after I stuff him in an leave. Makes me feel guilty.
C4C7A91D-EBCE-411A-8E73-47C6B6FF523A-3547-000002FD4EE808D5.jpg

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Wilson looks so withdrawn in his crate! he's probably pondering ways of escape! I think it's a good idea to let him roam as long as that doggy door is sealed closed so he doesn't go outside. Just check and re-check his surroundings to make sure it's a "Wilson-proof" and "Wilson-friendly" environment so he doesn't get himself into any trouble.

My goodness, is that Emma next to Wilson?!! she's such a big girl now!! :luv:

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, CloƃĀ©, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
You shouldn't feel bad. It is normal in a dog's nature to be crated. He can feel your hesitation and that is probably what drives him to resist his crate so much. Just try to make going in and out fun. Be stern and give him small treats when he goes in for a few seconds then get him out and praise him and repeat... over and over again. Eventually going in and out of his crate will be awesome in his mind due to the association of the treats.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I hope that he behaves, so his freedom will last! Sweet boy:heartsign:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You shouldn't feel bad. It is normal in a dog's nature to be crated. He can feel your hesitation and that is probably what drives him to resist his crate so much. Just try to make going in and out fun. Be stern and give him small treats when he goes in for a few seconds then get him out and praise him and repeat... over and over again. Eventually going in and out of his crate will be awesome in his mind due to the association of the treats.
Thanks John. He really never minded before until just the last couple of weeks. When he first resisted I was quite surprised. Heā€™s food motivated and thatā€™s not even enough to entice him in right now. I have changed my tone with him when itā€™s crate time due to his resistance and me having to leave (not in a bad way mind ya, just like "in you go" and I give him a push in). :ashamed:. Iā€™ll go back to some basics like you suggest to get him to like being in his crate again so itā€™s a happy place like it used to be for him. I always have kibble for them in my hand before they enter their crates, guess Iā€™ll make it a dab of peanut butter ā€“ he LOVES that. :)

i dont know..... I think @JeannieCO is just a bad bully mommy .....

I hope your Bobbleheadā€™s head falls off on its first ride!! :p :p It's in Jacksonville now too BTW.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson looks so withdrawn in his crate! he's probably pondering ways of escape! I think it's a good idea to let him roam as long as that doggy door is sealed closed so he doesn't go outside. Just check and re-check his surroundings to make sure it's a "Wilson-proof" and "Wilson-friendly" environment so he doesn't get himself into any trouble.

My goodness, is that Emma next to Wilson?!! she's such a big girl now!! :luv:

She's 39.9 lbs now and still quite lean and petite. :luv: He outta do real good out, just wish I could leave the doggie door open for Jack to still venture out. But no can do with Wilson, or Emma.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He saw what happened to Jack last week and doesn't want that to happen to him. :ROFL:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Awww that is so cute!!!!!

Herman is 6 months now, and I'm contemplating letting him roam like a big boy now - when I do leave him out for a few minutes while I run to pick my husband up from work, he usually just goes back in his crate and sleep LOL

I'm sure you can trust Wilson!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was going to say the same thing [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said!!!!! Pooor Wilson, he does not want to be the next victim!! :rofl: If I am remembering right, it was about 18 months old with Vegas that I started not shutting the crate door, I would go to work and he would be laying in his crate with the door open, I would come home and he would still be laying in his crate. Now it is the loveseat, but same routine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THAT IS cruel and unusal punishment...... heart breaking I tell ya just heart breaking!!! :cry:

Wilson, Aunt Christine is coming to save you from this horrid life. My poor sweet Wilson...

hee hee hee

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
That poor baby!!!! How could you look at that face and still let him sit in the crate! :p He needs a hug!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
THAT IS cruel and unusal punishment...... heart breaking I tell ya just heart breaking!!! :cry:

Wilson, Aunt Christine is coming to save you from this horrid life. My poor sweet Wilson...

hee hee hee

Jeannie I think you better turn on a security system before you go to work, Wilson is going to end up missing when you get back!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jeannie I think you better turn on a security system before you go to work, Wilson is going to end up missing when you get back!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

:evil: :evilha:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He looks so glum sitting in his crate. Poor Sweet Wilson! How can you deny that face! He just wants to be in the big boy club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online