Out of breath..

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hi! Tuni is 12 weeks old tomorrow and I notice when she plays or even goes up the stairs sometimes she's very out of breath. I'll run with her in the living room to wear her out a bit and she's panting like crazy afterwards. Is it normal for bulldog puppies to get out of breath?

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Bulldogs have such tiny nostrils and breathing issues. I would make sure that Tuni does not get over heated and limit the romping time if she gets too worked up. They can over heat very quickly. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to chime in!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Our Bacon gets out of breath very easily as well, from what I've read some have more stamina then others but for the most part you aren't going to find any marathon running bullies.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
That's what I figured...I try not to get her too worked up, but she needs to get out some of that puppy energy! I was concerned with her the sound of her breathing (gurgly) and our breeder said it could be a little bit of an elongated palate, but she's still growing and not to worry until about 1 year old. I was just concerned with her getting out of breath quickly after playing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion you should have her air ways checked in your next vet visit. She is still growing, but it can also get worse in time. Bulldogs physic is not the sportiest of dogs, but they're supposed to be able to play and exersice at least some what.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Bruno was like that as a puppy and continues till this day. He is 2 1/2. He gets about 15 min tops at the dog park and then he is exhausted. Now if he gets excited its almost instant. He can be calm and enjoying a ride in my truck for instance and the minute he sees the pet store he pants ferociously...He loves that place and every-time we walk in everyone thinks we walked miles, and all we did was walk from the parking lot to the store =/

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As everyone has said this is pretty normal. Keep a close eye on the gurgling sound and if she is having trouble swallowing, as it could be an elongated palate. Next time you take her to your vet have them check it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Since it's summer, remember HEAT can also have an effect on the pup's ability to exercise. On a cool day, Bea can walk just as long as Bo can! But, if it's really warm out, she'd easily forgo the walk in favor of playing in her pool. She just gets too warm, too fast. So I watch that carefully and take MANY breaks (by sitting in the shade at the park) when we go for our daily walks. Even if the walk is a super short one - we go every single day. Dogs like a reliable schedule.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.