Antlers safe for Puppies

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Are Deer/Elk antlers safe for puppies with puppy teeth still?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We gave them to Bacon and he loved them, still does. Just make sure they aren't so small that they can be swallowed whole

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't see were they would hurt anything, like [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] said just make sure they are not too small they can swallow them

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Okay great! I ordered some from yellowstone and got size medium...They look pretty big. Tuni LOVES bully sticks, but I'm so afraid every time we give them her I hold it the whole time and watch her like a hawk that she's not breaking any pieces off. I hope she likes the antlers the same since they're safer! She's teething so bad and just wants to dig her teeth into something, she's not interested in nylabones at all.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
To my knowledge. Ellie has been working on one from day 1 and loves it. Like any other chew toy, just observe and use good judgement. :2thumbs:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Antlers are excellent and good for them too. They won't splinter so you shouldn't have to hold it for her. Just throw them away when they get worn down to a size that would be small enough for her to swallow!! :up:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Don't be surprised when she can't make a dent in the antler, the one that we got Bacon six months ago is still 95% intact. They are seriously hard to the point that Bacon will only play with his on the mat upstairs or the carpet down stairs because the sound of it on hardwood floors bothers him.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No bully sticks!! :eek: I just got xlarge elk antlers and let me tell you...they are HUUUUGE! my vet said they actually had vitamins/minerals in them and just to take them away before they can fit in their mouths. Also, if they get dry..toss them. We do have a member whose vet told her absolutely not..so I suppose there are two opinions! We've been using them and never had a single splinter.

Last edited:
OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I really hope she likes them...it seems like shes interested in something (nylabones, kongs, stuffed toys) for .5 seconds then she's on to attacking us...it's really hard. My fiance used bully sticks with his last bulldog and bought one and I was amazed at how it keeps her attention. FINGERS CROSSED she feels the same with the antlers, I would feel much better about it. I'm a nervous wreak to begin with her and the bully stick just adds to it!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said no bully sticks, plus no pig ears or rawhides. They are big no no' s for bullies.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Yap like @JAKEISGREAT said no bully sticks, plus no pig ears or rawhides. They are big no no' s for bullies.

Yes sir, totally agree!

As for the antlers...yes sir totally agree yes.

I have one also for over 6 months and it barely has any marks on it at all. My newest puppy has been using it for teething.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.