Someone was watching!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So I had a very scary experience yesterday! Winston is 1 year and 3 months so about a month ago we decided to start giving him a little more freedom and not close his crate door. He was in the bedroom with the door shut so he did not have complete reign of the house when we were not there just yet! We wanted to see how he would do with that one room first, well he did great, until yesterday. :nope: My husband went home on his lunch break as he always does and everything was fine. We had his AC on and a fan running since it was fairly warm out yesterday. Well when I got home it was a whole different situation. He had some how pulled the fan cord out of the wall and chewed the whole plug and wire, ok so he didn't eat anything I thought hes ok. As I got closer I noticed he chewed part of the AC wire too while it was RUNNING! :nope: Thankfully the AC has a safety feature that once the wires are tampered with it shuts down otherwise I don't know what would have happened and could only think the worst. Good news is he is OK and did not get electrocuted or anything, bad news is its back to his crate when we are not home. I don't want to risk his safety! Has anything similar ever happened to everyone else and if so how did you deal with it??

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Yea, he's still a pup so he WILL get into mischief.... You need to keep him crated until he is past that puppy chew stage. Even when he is older and has free reign of a room or rooms, he will need PLENTY ofappropriate doggy entertainment once left alone........

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's why it's always a good idea to crate your bullies when you are not home. we have two girls who are 5 years old and they will still get into mischief. Buddy is the only one we can keep out when we are not home. He doesn't bother anything.

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Once he is older he will grow out of the mischief stage. When my mom's bully was a pup he ate all the glass ornaments off the bottom of the Christmas tree... we joke that he won't eat vegetables but he will eat glass, thank God he was okay though. Best just to leave them in the crate until they are older & more mature lol. Now my mom's bully is out of the crate when he's home alone & he is trustworthy :) Glad your doggy is okay!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=3652]Lauren31287[/MENTION], i'm really happy that Winston's okay and did not get electrocuted. That is very scary and dangerous. Tate was 10wks old when he chewed on my laptop cord (plugged in), and got electrocuted. He was in an oxygen tent for two nights and had pulmonary edema. It was touch and go and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. Now at 19mos old he's just fine and doesn't chew those cords anymore. I too had wished I put him in his crate at the time. Luckily I was at home when it happened and took him to ER asap, but i was preoccupied w/the cable guy and didn't keep an eye on him. A crate is our friend even when we are at home and too busy to keep an eye on our bullys. I learned that lesson the hard way!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you for all of the advice everyone, I guess they just like to get in trouble lol! He loves his crate so putting him in there is no problem. I just thought freedom would be nice lol! I am so thankful that he is ok and definitely learned the hard way! From now on when we are not home that is where he will be.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
@Lauren31287, i'm really happy that Winston's okay and did not get electrocuted. That is very scary and dangerous. Tate was 10wks old when he chewed on my laptop cord (plugged in), and got electrocuted. He was in an oxygen tent for two nights and had pulmonary edema. It was touch and go and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. Now at 19mos old he's just fine and doesn't chew those cords anymore. I too had wished I put him in his crate at the time. Luckily I was at home when it happened and took him to ER asap, but i was preoccupied w/the cable guy and didn't keep an eye on him. A crate is our friend even when we are at home and too busy to keep an eye on our bullys. I learned that lesson the hard way!

That is so scary!! I am so glad hes ok!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thankfully he is okay... I hope others will learn a valuable lesson from your experience.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I am thinking I need more gfi circuuits in my house. You never know what they are going to chew.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Boy did he have an :angel: by this side. I caught Emma going after the only exposed cord I have out on a living room lamp that's barely used when she was about 5 months. It's been unplugged ever since. I went around the house when we got Wilson and made sure they were all tucked in and out of sight. That one was unplugged at the time (it's on a timer so we barely use it) and I never gave it another thought until I caught her at it. Puppies are just like babies and toddlers.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online