Safe chews for teething ebd puppy

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. My ebd is 4 months old and teething like crazy. I have bought him all kinds of toys in which after a day sometimes , two. he becomes bored with them. I know that rawhide chew bones ect are a supposed no-no due to the fact they can choke on bits and pieces of them. He loves them and I have bought them but I have to observe him and then end up cutting off pieces and eventually throw them away when they are small enough that he might decide to swallow one and choke on it. I also picked up a few tennis balls in the pet department of wal mart this morning and sure enough after an hour of chasing and chewing that first one he was getting pieces of the fur or hair that is on the balls and ofcourse I immeditatly thought o no. gastro obstruction and ended up throwing it away. I have one blue rubber bone that is hollow and I put a piece of string cheese in it and he loves that but gets the cheese out easily. I have put peanut butter in it but peanut butter can be a bit messy.. Any ideas you guys for a teething bullie? Thanks Hero

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We give ours nylabones or kongs to chew on. No rawhides, I have heard of several bullies that have died from rawhides. You can mix some peanut butter and yogurt together and freeze it in a kong and they will love it, but it's messy.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Davdh. The first thing I bought him were nylabones. He won't touch them. He will knaw for a min and move away. For some reason they just don't intrest him. I have seen a few kong balls in the store but seemed a bit too hard. He likes things he can sink his teeth into.. Thanks Hero

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Kong makes other toys that Bacon really liked as a pup and they were far more durable then other toys. He really likes ice cubes too. Have you tried dampening an old tshirt(you are willing to sacrifice) and freezing it? It's soothing while they are teething

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Baconator. I did try a few facecloths ( frozen) . at first he seemed interested and ran around jumping up and down on them but he lost intrest with them as well. I will have to go back to petsmart and see what they have. I thought there might be a simple solution but he seems to like the rawhide.. ofcourse my tennis shoes. wooden table legs and the side of my leather sofas. lol the things he cant have. Thanks Hero

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We only give our Bulldogs Nylabones and Kongs. Both companies make toys that are different shapes like Nylabone makes rings that they can play tug with or just chew.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm.. yeah we too only use the nylabones and the kongs. Mainly the nylabones .. the one with the orange part in the middle is the one we have had the most success with!! That and empty water bottles of course, but you have to make sure you take those away from him as soon as he starts to break them .

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Try holding the nylabone for him maybe? Tonka usually has very little interest in his nylabones, but if I am sitting beside him and holding them for him to chew on, he goes to town sometimes for 30 minutes to an hour or more! Also, I would try what I call an Everest chew, it's a hard himalayan cheese treat that Tonka absolutely loves and it's super hard and great for them to gnaw on. I am never without one now. We usually do the jumbo now buy did the large before. You can find them tons of places online! Our local stores carry them here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
frozen king w/peanut butter, cream cheese or yogurt, ... I also put the nyladones in the freezer just to make the cold... it worked a few times

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I was also going to second the ice cubes, frozen washcloth, kongs, nylabones, etc. but I guess you guy isnt loving those. The only other thing I can think to recommend is the chew toys made by JW pet company. The ones we have are a softer rubber than say nylabones so it would be chewier for him. We actually still have all of them intact having survived Rook's teething phase and more. We are shocked that they are still around as Rook is really tough on his toys, so I don't know how they've yet to bet destroyed.

Rook loved this one when teething...
http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Compan...es&ie=UTF8&qid=1346119066&sr=1-24&keywords=JW

And we also have the Hol-ee football, and that is currently one of his favs.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I will look into these. Buddy will play tugg of war. He LOVES to but I noticed the day I brought him home that he plays WAY to rough. He will growl and get mean. I decided the first week that I didn't want to play with him like that. I have held rawhide bones up because he couldnt hold them right or lost them under the sofa ect until he gets really started on them but like I said with those you have to trim them then eventually take them away before they become small and he could swallow one and choke. He does love empty water bottles. I tear off the paper lable but he wil sqwish one in a matter of mins now so they don't last long. He likes ice cubes sometimes especially after we come in and hes a bit thirsty but that only lasts a few mins. I will check out the Everest chew and the JW pet company things. Thanks everyone. Hero

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] Here is another toy my bullies love, you can Google them to find who sells them on-line, and they are made in the USA and guaranteed to last. They are a rubber type toy and they love'em.

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Davidh I will see if I can find one around, Tonkatruck 28 I found the himilaya things. They had them at pet supermarket in Boca down a few miles from where I live. I have been to pet smart and another pet supply store near where I live but never a pet supermarket. At first he barked at it then when jumping all up and down I think it scared him or something but he is LOVING IT. now.lol Thanks

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] glad to hear! We use it whenever we need to occupy him lol. Works great with a towel down in the truck!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Try holding the nylabone for him maybe? Tonka usually has very little interest in his nylabones, but if I am sitting beside him and holding them for him to chew on, he goes to town sometimes for 30 minutes to an hour or more! Also, I would try what I call an Everest chew, it's a hard himalayan cheese treat that Tonka absolutely loves and it's super hard and great for them to gnaw on. I am never without one now. We usually do the jumbo now buy did the large before. You can find them tons of places online! Our local stores carry them here.
Be careful with the Himalayans as a puppy, we feed them to Bacon too but when he was little he swallowed a chunk of it and it didn't break down like it was supposed to so he ended up getting backed up for a few days. After a little bloody stool he passed it, just keep an eye on your pup with these when they start getting small.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.