So I just got back from the emergency vet because.....

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh my goodness I am so happy Mandy is ok!!!!!!! I would have freaked out!!! I am so glad you had Noah to help you, that would have been alot of work for you to do alone. I can't say enough how happy I am she is ok, what a nightmare!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Jillh10: I'm surprised you've never seen or heard about these. I do live "out there" a ways, but in a big developement. We notice them more after it rains. So buy some lemon juice and keep your eyes open. ;)

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Oh my goodness..I cannot even imagine :-( Thank the Lord she is OK. I have never heard of these toads before, but I do wonder what any of us have in our yards that poisonous :eek: the worst we've had to deal with is a skunk! {{hugs}} to you, Mandy, and the whole crew - especially Noah!!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
thats crazy ive never heard of that good to know i grew up around horned toads and nothin ever happened to ours dogs i wonder if its all toads or what... if lex gets way to worked up and i notice he's not cooling off i just stick him in a luke warm bath and he'll just sit there till he cools off... but lemon juice will be in our house from now on!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Does it take much of the lemon juice? A squirt or alot? We don't have that kind of toad up here in WI but we have others and have heard of dogs getting sick from eating them so perhaps all toads are toxic.
Glad things worked out.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The lemon juice is NOT for the toad. It was because she was not breathing. The only way to help with the toad poison is to RINSE THE MOUTH. Get it out as much as you can.....

I really don't remember how much I put in, but it was a squirt, and into the sides of the mouth or on the tongue-- not directly in their pipe, or 'down the throat'- this can cause them to choke on the juice if their pathway is already being blocked!! I figure I should point this out cuz it is very important.

Getting them cooled down is the most important thing. Even if it is not HOT out, just getting over excited can cause some bullies throats to close off.

dontshop--adopt

Jul 30, 2010
Greenville, MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thank God everything turned out good. And to take this opportunity to educate bully owners about the advantages of keeping a plastic lemon in the fridge all the time...this is even great if your bully sometimes gets a little congestion and you can hear a rattle in his chest...just give a good squeeze of lemon juice into his mouth...then get ready to sop up lemon juice, because he will spew it everywhere...but it will cut through the mucous!!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Too scary, I'm glad she's OK.

We have big poisonous toads in Hawaii... I'm not sure if they are the same ones, but they do cause problems for dogs and have heard of dogs dieing from swallowing them. I have no problem knocking them in the head and disposing them in the trash (the toads), but I have to be more humane when the wife is home, so I'll place the toad in a plastic bag then stick it in the freezer until it's stiff.

Toadsickle's ?????

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the tip on the lemon juice......ive added it to my shopping list.

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I'm happy to hear your bullie is okay. I don't think any of our toads are poisonous here in Va Beach, but last night a toad was out hopping on the sidewalk, luckily Winny was distracted by a dog down the street and going potty to notice.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.