Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I just got back from the emergency vet because.....

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: So I just got back from the emergency vet because.....

Oh, how scarred you must have been. Thank goodness you had Noah to help you!! We have those horrid toads also, I guess everyone does here in Az. I didn't know about the lemon juice either. I will be buying some of that as soon as we get home. I'll also tell my daughters to get some. Our yards are walled in with a 6 foot cinder-block wall, so we never see them in the back yards, but we see them often in the front. Especially over at my daughter's, right around the block from our house. I don't know if there's something in their yard that attracts them or what. But my son-in-law in constantly "taking the toads for a walk". He takes them over to the park and lets them go. We've only seen one in our front yard, but it was GINORMIS!! The thing must have weighed 5 pounds. And it seems it's always at night that they come out, so they're hard to see. So glad your Mandy is okay. I, personally, agree with Telly. Get rid of these awful creatures! So they don't wander back the next night.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Oh wow, I did not know these toads were a danger and now I will have to be more aware. I have never seen one near my house but I have seen them at my friend's house, in a very urban area of Phoenix - so they are everywhere! Ugh, between those, Black Widows, scorpions and whatever else, it makes you want to put the dog in a plastic bubble!

I am glad Mandy is okay. I can't imagine going through that and I am so, so happy you were able to keep your wits about you and save her life. Great work!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your support!

On our way to the vet I did not even bring my cell phone- all I could think of was- telling my bully pals here and hubby what happened, I felt so helpless cuz I could not even call Chip! Was relieved to get home so I could let him and you all know what happened. Load off of my chest!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness I am so happy Mandy is ok!!!!!!! I would have freaked out!!! I am so glad you had Noah to help you, that would have been alot of work for you to do alone. I can't say enough how happy I am she is ok, what a nightmare!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Jillh10: I'm surprised you've never seen or heard about these. I do live "out there" a ways, but in a big developement. We notice them more after it rains. So buy some lemon juice and keep your eyes open.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Oh my goodness..I cannot even imagine :-( Thank the Lord she is OK. I have never heard of these toads before, but I do wonder what any of us have in our yards that poisonous the worst we've had to deal with is a skunk! {{hugs}} to you, Mandy, and the whole crew - especially Noah!!!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

thats crazy ive never heard of that good to know i grew up around horned toads and nothin ever happened to ours dogs i wonder if its all toads or what... if lex gets way to worked up and i notice he's not cooling off i just stick him in a luke warm bath and he'll just sit there till he cools off... but lemon juice will be in our house from now on!!!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Does it take much of the lemon juice? A squirt or alot? We don't have that kind of toad up here in WI but we have others and have heard of dogs getting sick from eating them so perhaps all toads are toxic.
    Glad things worked out.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The lemon juice is NOT for the toad. It was because she was not breathing. The only way to help with the toad poison is to RINSE THE MOUTH. Get it out as much as you can.....

I really don't remember how much I put in, but it was a squirt, and into the sides of the mouth or on the tongue-- not directly in their pipe, or 'down the throat'- this can cause them to choke on the juice if their pathway is already being blocked!! I figure I should point this out cuz it is very important.

Getting them cooled down is the most important thing. Even if it is not HOT out, just getting over excited can cause some bullies throats to close off.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member dontshop--adopt's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

Thank God everything turned out good. And to take this opportunity to educate bully owners about the advantages of keeping a plastic lemon in the fridge all the time...this is even great if your bully sometimes gets a little congestion and you can hear a rattle in his chest...just give a good squeeze of lemon juice into his mouth...then get ready to sop up lemon juice, because he will spew it everywhere...but it will cut through the mucous!!
    Champ, Dozer and Digz BEG you! Don't Shop- Adopt!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Telly03 View Post
    Too scary, I'm glad she's OK.

We have big poisonous toads in Hawaii... I'm not sure if they are the same ones, but they do cause problems for dogs and have heard of dogs dieing from swallowing them. I have no problem knocking them in the head and disposing them in the trash (the toads), but I have to be more humane when the wife is home, so I'll place the toad in a plastic bag then stick it in the freezer until it's stiff.
    Toadsickle's ?????

Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Y View Post
    Toadsickle's ?????
    LOL, why did I just get the idea to place a stick in it first? ... Oh, I know why, because I'm a sick person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads