Do puppies go through a rebellious phase?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My sweet little baby bulldog is going through a very troublesome phase.

Since he turned 4 months (3 weeks ago), Truman made impressive strides in training. He almost never had an accident in the house, and when he did, it was never poop. He was a good boy in his crate and almost never barked in there anymore, just a little yip to let me know he was awake. He no longer barked in anticipation of his food making its descent from the counter, didn't chew on the rocking chair, and took almost no interest in the kitty food I leave down in the laundry room.

Things started changing a little bit in the beginning of this week and I feel like I've been saying "no!" ever since. Truman (now producing firm logs again) pooped in his cage TWICE so far, once after being in there for less than an hour. He also decided to devour the evidence once. He has started barking at me when I make breakfast for him again and even does weird stuff like peeing and pooping on my concrete patio, instead of the grass. I have also noticed a pretty big increase in energy and spunk - anyone who envisions Truman as a hobbling little puppy because of his hip is sorely mistaken - because if you didn't see a scar, you'd never know this isn't a dog at 100%! He gets absolutely nutty at times and runs around and barrel rolls so fast, it's hysterical but I have to holler at him to stop.

Anyway, I guess my question is, is this normal? Is my fairly well trained puppy going through a rebellious phase? Or did someone place his evil twin in his cage one night, unnoticed? >.<

I can't remember Linus going through this but I sort of remember Bentley as a puppy, deciding to poop inside when he didn't want me to leave for work around this age.

Any insight is appreciated!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Or did someone place his evil twin in his cage one night, unnoticed? >.<

Okay, I admit it. I have baby T here. You have baby S. They look identical. Even the scar...actually, the scar is drawn on baby S...but he's so spunky he won't let you look at it. Baby T is an absolute doll. He and O get along great. They are staying out of trouble and...I have to admit, he's quite the cuddler. Sorry that I had to steal him, but I fell in love with him and had to have him.

Your question should be...do they ever come out of the rebellious stage.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay, I admit it. I have baby T here. You have baby S. They look identical. Even the scar...actually, the scar is drawn on baby S...but he's so spunky he won't let you look at it. Baby T is an absolute doll. He and O get along great. They are staying out of trouble and...I have to admit, he's quite the cuddler. Sorry that I had to steal him, but I fell in love with him and had to have him.

Your question should be...do they ever come out of the rebellious stage.

After I read this three times I understood it. I am such a ditz! LOL

I think there could be a couple of contributing factors:

1.) He is testing you and getting attention

2.) He feels like a million bucks compared to just a couple of weeks ago, and most of his life. Energy to burn.

3.) BOTH of my pups were completely crate trained, and out of the blue- Yuna starts going in her crate. Tidus did a couple of times as well, but doesn't like making mommy mad so he stopped. I dunno why this happened..... we were potty free for at least 2 months.

She is still doing it sometimes, so I am wondering if they go through a weak bladder phase during their teen stage.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh dear, you guys are making me worry. My little Darlings are not quite 4 months old. We've been making progress fairly steadily with their potty training, and Ida is going in her crate less and less. I sure hope they don't get rebellious! They're both so stubborn now, we don't need any bouts of bad behavior!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This is funny, I am glad that I got Cutty at 9 months rather than a puppy after reading all the puppy training issues. :p I do think tho he is feeling so good he may be celebrating. And as for peeing on the patio my boys still do this and they arent peeing on the patio as much as marking the pots and chairs etc. VERY annoying cuz as fast as I hose it down they go behind me. lol.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This is funny, I am glad that I got Cutty at 9 months rather than a puppy after reading all the puppy training issues. :p I do think tho he is feeling so good he may be celebrating. And as for peeing on the patio my boys still do this and they arent peeing on the patio as much as marking the pots and chairs etc. VERY annoying cuz as fast as I hose it down they go behind me. lol.

Yeah, you said it. Everyone loves puppies, but I love big doggies that know how to behave themselves more! Haha.

I did, for the first time, holler at Truman for pooping in his crate. He knows better and he was only in there an hour. That was that. He hasn't gone since. I think it might be a combination of factors that [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] mentioned and he needs a bit of a firm hand right now and maybe some extra TLC too now that momma's chapter deadline is now officially over! (I let him shred a few of my scrap papers in celebration!)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.